Speaker problem

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I know this isn't very descriptive, but this is the best I can do.I was listening to some stuff on my speakers (powered monitors, Event TR8XLs) last week and all of a sudden the left side cut out. The sound just completely cut out and never came back. I turned off the right speaker and it seems that the left speakers plays very faintly. When I turn off the damaged speaker, it makes a sort of high pitched pop noise that I can't really describe very well. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this and whether I would be able to get it repaired?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I have no idea but before you do anything you should check the entire chain.... mixer/tt/cords/etc

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Do you get any power to the speaker at all?

I have a pair of KRK v8's and one of them goes out all the time. Every time it's happened, the LED that indicates that the speaker is on, goes off. So, I check the fuse and sure enough...its blown. So my recommendation to you is check the fuse. It should be located in the back in a little compartment. Otherwise, you may have a problem with the internals which I would have the customer service people take you through.

If its a fuse thats blown, make sure you get the right voltage and amperage ratings. You can usually pick some up at Radio Shack for a couple bucks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    been checked
    tried different cables, tried using different inputs instead of the xlr, blah blah. nothing :

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im not exactly sure but im pretty sure the power light goes on. i'm not at home right now but as far as i can remember it goes on.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Damn...I know you got that un-easy feeling in your stomach cause I've had that plenty of times...

My best recommendation then is to call customer service tommorrow and see what they say. If you complain enough you may be able to get them to service it for free. Good luck and let us know what goes down.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Sounds like your speakers are clipping. Were you playing the music loud? Google "clipping" & see what comes up. They might be toast.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I emailed support with details on my problem. Here's the exact same problem I have: http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=54659

I had these same speakers serviced before because of a problem with the amps picking up radio frequencies and they were replaced without a hassle. I dealt with that Event representative who posted in the thread on Gear Slutz and he was great so hopefully I get him again.