iPod + IDJ2 versus Vinyl + Technics 1210s

froovyfroovy 86 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody converted their vinyl collection yet?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have absolutely no idea why anyone would use those over serato or even cdjs
    thats not even including that shit is corny as a muufuckah

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    i have absolutely no idea why anyone would use those over serato or even cdjs
    thats not even including that shit is corny as a muufuckah

anybody comfortable djing off cds should have no problem djing off their ipod.
    technology has moved forward.

vinyl still has my affection, but I will be happily trying this out when it is released

• i have absolutely no idea why anyone would want to buy technics and spend thousands on records when their collection can already be completely contained on a mini hard drive, even if that shit is corny as a muufuckah

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Get with the cheapness... I'm wondering if it can control my microwave tho

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    For the millionth time:

They have no pitch control, so every "mix" will be a trainwreck.

Who wants to buy TWO ipods? (for that white one on the left)

Does that darker model pictured on the banner work off of one?

• For the millionth time:

numark wouldn't make the same mistake twice...

Integrated iPod slot with adjustable mount
    Seamless looping
    Pitch control
    Large backlit display with revolutionary user interface
    Ability to scratch music
    Real-time visuals include Track Profiles and Waveforms
    Record to an iPod or other connected USB media
    Facilitates mixing with three or more USB Hard Drives or Apple iPod???s with USB hub
    Many USB ports to plug in iPods, memory keys and hard drives
    Play music off two iPods simultaneously, play two songs off same iPod
    Formats supported: mp3, ogg vorbis, FLAC
    Pitch control with multiple ranges up to +/- 100%
    Beatkeeper??? technology with TAP override function
    Scratch and search ability via two large jog wheels
    XML playlist support
    USB Keyboard support

for the average kid who already has an ipod, a digital music library, and the desire to be a bar mitzvah superstar, this set-up isn't so bad.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    For the millionth time:

Unfortunately dun, the black one (IDJ2) has pitch control and will play two songs simultaneously from a single iPod.

I say unfortunately because these features are just enough to foll some idiots into buying inferior Numark quality shit. It all looks good on paper, but when it comes down to putting down a mix, I doubt anything produced from an iDj2 will be that

it's a fucking Numark. On paper[/b] EVERYTHING Numark makes is better than the top brands, but when it comes down to functionality and actual usage, all Numark products suck. Don't even get me started on that damn TTX1 and how much wow and flutter is has over any given 1200 model.

Numark mixers?

The virtual vinyl (serato killer)? othing more than a skinned build of the latest version of PCDJ.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i guarantee those jog wheels break faster than numark's mixers already do
    i just don't think you can have nearly the same control over your shit with this stuff compared to vinyl, serato, or cdjs. if it seemed practical at all i would be all for it (beyond the fact that it's corny as fuck) but i just don't see it being practical at all. also, why the fuck do you need two ipods for this shit?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    For the millionth time:

Unfortunately dun, the black one (IDJ2) has pitch control and will play two songs simultaneously from a single iPod.

I say unfortunately because these features are just enough to foll some idiots into buying inferior Numark quality shit. It all looks good on paper, but when it comes down to putting down a mix, I doubt anything produced from an iDj2 will be that

it's a fucking Numark. On paper[/b] EVERYTHING Numark makes is better than the top brands, but when it comes down to functionality and actual usage, all Numark products suck. Don't even get me started on that damn TTX1 and how much wow and flutter is has over any given 1200 model.

Numark mixers?

The virtual vinyl (serato killer)? othing more than a skinned build of the latest version of PCDJ.

Agreed. The quality of Numark's products has to be taken into account. They just suck. Period.

I'm curious, though, does Serato support lossless? It seems like that would make it far more appealing, considering most mainstream p2ps usually provide 128 kbps or worse.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    also, why the fuck do you need two ipods for this shit?

You don't anymore, can play two MP3s off the same iPod at the same time...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i have absolutely no idea why anyone would want to buy technics and spend thousands on records when their collection can already be completely contained on a mini hard drive, even if that shit is corny as a muufuckah

sound quality

• i collect records because i enjoy it.

the sonic quality difference is virtually indistinguishable between digital music at a high sample rate and an analog signal. besides, the vast majority of music today is produced digitally making any records put out today just as inferior as cd's.

again, for the average kid who already has an ipod, a digital music library, and the desire to be a bar mitzvah superstar, this set-up isn't so bad.

whether the components are decent quality is a different story and we'll all have to wait and see.