SCHOOLY D INTERVIEW FROM 1986

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
hip hop hit list : I think that everybody knows now what PSK means, but why not saying it with your own words ?Schoolly D : it means "Park side killers" which are the drop-outs (a bit of everybody) in the west of philly.HHHL : how do they take that when there is a rap about them now ?Schoolly : they love it. Many of them always talked to make a record but no one happened to make it until now.HHHL : when did you begin to rap ?Schoolly : when I wanted to I couldn't. I was in school in Atlanta 'cause the school system in philly was dumb, and when I came back everybody was rapping. I wanted to try.HHHL : how did you get your name of Schoolly D. ?Schoolly : me and my friends were always playing basketball and always told " let's go school" somebody. Then I took my name of Schoolly D. I don't know where the "D" is coming from. The 1st time I played as a dj was a desastre. We had a party in the porch of Jefferson street and everybody kicked me out.Another Interview I found on the web. HHHL : how did you get from that to "gucci time" ?Schoolly : I persevered, I didn't give up, I developped my own style. I played in the clubs of the area and in the free jams. A lot of people gave all of themselves but I had a job in a shoe store and saved my money 'cause I knew that I would make my own record. It took me 2 years to sniff sticking shoes all days long to do it.HHHL : how did you get associated with "dj code money" ?Shoolly : the djs with whom I worked with gave too much of themselves. They always came too late with their stuff and their shit. So one day, I heard of "code money" and went to his place. "Code" really did well, so I told him that we should go on work right now.HHHL : some says that "PSK" is too violent, what do you think ?Schoolly : I rap on what I see, as I say it in one of my rap. The shit I do, you do it too... Things are getting worser here, the people near the park (park side crew) can't have quit jams 'cause it's too violent here. Doug e fresh came here last year and one kid got shot in the middle of the street !HHHL : do you think that you will sign with a major label from New York ?Schoolly : I got some calls a bit from everywhere, I spoke with "Rick Rubin" and other ones but I will always have my own label.HHHL : who influenced you ?Schoolly : "Run" is the only one, but I din't like their new album right away ( raising hell), but bit by bit I began to appreciate it. "L.L. cool jay" is ok but me and "Code money" we will soon be there to record in the INS studios. Tell them that it will be hot. Article taken from "hip hop hit list", summer 86.PeaceHawkeye