CUT MASTER DC INTERVIEW FROM 1987

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I found this on the web, I remeber hearing his records back in the days. And I have to cosign his comment on DJ Dee Nasty from France, He did some real good records around 89.kids street news : what's your name ?cut master dc : I am 25.K : where are the clubs where you've been working as a dj ?cut : there were many, to name the most famous, "the roxy's, the disco fever, the union square"..........K: what was your itinerary ?cut : I went from dj to mc at zakia, it happened very fast, one day I noticed a record from zakia in a shop, and sent them a cassette and here I' m now.K : which artist or musical style has influenced you the most ?cut : as a matter of fact I don't have any precise influence, I' m quite difficult with others' work ! Instead I try to copy and improve my own style, question of feeling' ! For the musical influence I would say that it goes from go-go to ..... swing, I'm the king of the swing beat (laugh)!K: what is the kind of music you like to listen at home ?cut : what I listen the most at home, it's hip hop and jazz, but it doesn't mean it's what I like the most!kids : what do you like then ?cut : I like very much jazz and funk, heavy funk like "Parliament" !kids : and "slave" in all that ?cut : nothing to say, they are good, very good !kids : the public discovered you in 1985 with the fabulous "do you really wanna battle", but I know that you did in 1984 "that's life" where you rapped on a different music than "do you....", what happened between these 2 records ?cut : at the time of "that's life", I didn't succeed to manage or produce anything ! The people that took care of the production didn't have any idea of what was hip hop! Now I compose, produce my music, I do what I like, I like that !Kids : we know, thanks to "Brooklyn's in the house", that you come from Brooklyn ! I'd like to know how long Brooklyn is making rap ? And do you agree with Scott la rock who says that everything began in the bronx ?cut : it's quite difficult to say where hip hop started, 'cause this phenomenon spread very fast in the centre of new york !Kids : what are your goals ?cut : my number one goal is to continue to produce, compose and to scratch ! To give you a secret, I would very much like to be interviewed by Robin leech, the presenter of the "rich & famous" tv show (laugh) !Kids : most of your songs have a jazzy colour, and it seems that you like this kind of beat, are you going to continue in that way ?cut : no, I don't want to limit myself in a precise style. I would like to show what else I can do, to show my flexibility.Kids : is it indescreet to ask you how many copies of "that's life" you sold ?cut : not at all, exactly 9. I want to say that for me, "that's life" is the baddest 12' ever recorded ! The music is not in harmony with the words, which satisfy me. kids : you first album will soon come out, can you give us details on this album ?cut : the album is called "brooklyn's in the house" and has 12 titles. Question of recording and mixing everything is not ready !Kids : you are one of the best dj in the world, what is for you, the future of scratch and do you think it can evolve?cut : personally, I don't have the time to find new scratches but the evolution is still possible 'cause there are always new records coming out.Kids : what do you think of dj cash money ?cut : bad, very bad ! Honestly, he is my only competitor at the world title of best dj, but I believe in myself.Kids : you were surprised when I told you that there were zulus in france, why ?cut : you never know what happens with the others, but now that I heard the cassette of dj dee nasty, I must admit that frenches are quite good !Kids : don't you think that money spoil the integrity of rap ?cut : of course, but the competition between rap and the other styles is difficult ! If you want to make a living with rap, then you must do a more commercial product than a hard one ! It's a pity but it's like that ! Kids street news, january 1987 (french magazine).PeaceHawkeye