An introduction - OZ digging recommendations??

scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.An introduction:24. Motion Graphics Designer - Promoter working in Auckland NZ. Sometime funk/soul DJ. Been collecting Soulstrut type stuff for maybe 2 years? Donny Hathaway, Bobbi Humphrey, The Beginning of The End, Curtis Mayfield, The Dramatics, D-Train, Good Disco stuff - LTD, M.F.S.B, Geraldine Hunt, Gwen Guthrie, Old 12"s on Prelude, Westend, Salsoul etc. Plus more, that's just what was sitting on my iTunes.Anyway, this is a great place to pick up tips and useful info. Cheers. To any Oz strutters, or people who have had good finds there.Just wondering is anyone could recommend record stores in Sydney and Melbourne??I checked out a couple in Chapel St. in Melbourne last time I was there, but that was a while ago now. Any places that stock any funk,soul or disco??And as a house warming gift...Some YouTube classics.2 In A Room - Wiggle Ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oTmrHIa4g2 Live Crew - Me So Hornyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KBLYRCHL4808 State - Pacifichttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YrTrtxn49kA guy called Gerald - Voodoo Rayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFK6KwvDCpEAfrika Bambaataa - Planet Rockhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFdOxpa7tcAtlantic Starr - Always (A TEARJERKER!!!)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-13tP1Nm0Brian Eno & David Byrne - Mea Culpahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QLXTsviMxkChaka Khan - I Feel For Youhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE9WXLMjQa0Freeez - IOUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NavhIXN5DQoGary Numan - Carshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIbnRaufVw

Comments

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Welcome.

tjames

• I'm not sure if Discovery Records in Hornsby is still there or not, but that place is solid gold! When I was there in 2001, I spent two whole days clearing out the store from back to front and picked up a few nice bits and breaks I've never seen here in WEstern Australia.. Janne Schaffer, Amazing Rhythm Aces, Cozy Powell..

Auckland is a nice place to dig I found. The Real Groovy store with the infamous 50c records was a trove for techno 12"s that I later flogged for nice $$$ on ebay.

If you ever get to Christchurch, make sure you check out Penny Lane.. that is one NICE store! In fact, I even copped my copy of the Daly Wilson record with the Shook Ones break from the Echo in town.. but I think that's closed down.. any kiwis can confirm this with me??

• Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Oh yeah welcome too!

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    Discovery moved to Erskinville, right near the train station

In Melbourne the 3 best spots are Northside (Gertrude St, Fitzroy), Liquorice pie & Idems shop (forget the name - jay cee's perhaps?) - both on High St just off Chapel, Prahan

there are no major treasure troves to be had, but I'm sure you'll be able to spend a few $$

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Thanks for that one! It's long been one of my favorite songs of the era but I'd never caught this clip until now. I must say though, knowing that they were white British dudes still didn't prepare me for this particular viewing experience - that video is definitely one WTF moment after another. I love the part at the end where they throw the DJ their 45, he immediately puts it on, and is like "OH HELL YES THIS IS A BANGING CHUNE MATE!"

I'd like to see Freeez try that with a Soulstrut DJ.

And oh - welcome to the board!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Definite bump for John Idem's shop, jay cee's record bar... You could also try Collectors Corner on Swanston st, then hop up to Metropolis for awesome books/ cds/ records and Alley Tunes in Hawthorn might be worth a look too. But Idem's shop is the pick of the bunch. I love that place, it's everything a record shop should be. How long are you in town for?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Hey, James McIvor right? Anyways, as Lucero said, you need to check Idem's shop The Funk Record Bar, also Northside was pretty good too. Sydney was the year before last & I remember places like Red Eye & also there is an intersection on Pitt St with a few good shops surrounding it (kinda near the station if I remember) There was even two stores right next to each other. But just walk Pitt from the station end toward the water & you'll pass a bunch, Utopia was an OK store too, although not really for funky stuff.

• Discovery moved to Erskinville, right near the train station

In Melbourne the 3 best spots are Northside (Gertrude St, Fitzroy), Liquorice pie & Idems shop (forget the name - jay cee's perhaps?) - both on High St just off Chapel, Prahan

there are no major treasure troves to be had, but I'm sure you'll be able to spend a few $$

Hey Lucero!

I'm gonna be in Melbourne this weekend from Sunday through to Tuesday... anything hip hop wise going on? I'll be staying in the CBD near Latrobe and Spencer streets.. are those spots hard to get to? Sorry, my geography is pretty woeful!

Also looking for somewhere good to catch the Australia vs Netherlands game - any suggestions? Or should I watch it at Crown??

In fact, I even copped my copy of the Daly Wilson record with the Shook Ones break from the Echo in town.. but I think that's closed down.. any kiwis can confirm this with me??
    Real Groovy bought Echo out when they took over Christchurch about 18+ months ago. All the Echo stock (storefront & untouched for 20+ years backroom ) has been steadily dumped in the Auckland Real Groovy store since then. It has been bananas, especially the US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Radio Station cache of raer US pressed 45s. And a huge NZBC Christchurch stockpile too.

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    Hey, James McIvor right? Anyways, as Lucero said, you need to check Idem's shop The Funk Record Bar, also Northside was pretty good too. Sydney was the year before last & I remember places like Red Eye & also there is an intersection on Pitt St with a few good shops surrounding it (kinda near the station if I remember) There was even two stores right next to each other. But just walk Pitt from the station end toward the water & you'll pass a bunch, Utopia was an OK store too, although not really for funky stuff.

Yeah..With an 'e' mind....Thanks for the selections. I was a bit lost last time. Didn't realise there were other kiwis on here. Cool!

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    In fact, I even copped my copy of the Daly Wilson record with the Shook Ones break from the Echo in town.. but I think that's closed down.. any kiwis can confirm this with me??
    Real Groovy bought Echo out when they took over Christchurch about 18+ months ago. All the Echo stock (storefront & untouched for 20+ years backroom
    ) has been steadily dumped in the Auckland Real Groovy store since then. It has been bananas, especially the US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Radio Station cache of raer US pressed 45s. And a huge NZBC Christchurch stockpile too.

Ahhh..That makes sense. There has been many, many great finds lately, and I couldn't place them, as no local DJ has been selling that I knew of, and they weren't records that your average joe blow would have. Lots and lots of great old disco 12"s and classic hip-hop.

Real Groovy has a monopoly on second hand tunes in Auckland here. It's the only store around. It's annoying in a city of 1 million+ people. Prices have shot up accordingly. It's more and more difficult to score cheaper stuff, but if you look often enough some turn up. A lot of the guys in trades are rock/hardcore guys, so the not-so-well-known hip-hop and disco stuff gets through.

Thanks for all the recomendations!! Super lists!

Real Groovy bought Echo out when they took over Christchurch about 18+ months ago. All the Echo stock (storefront & untouched for 20+ years backroom
    ) has been steadily dumped in the Auckland Real Groovy store since then. It has been bananas, especially the US Navy Operation Deep Freeze Radio Station cache of raer US pressed 45s. And a huge NZBC Christchurch stockpile too.

Ahhh..That makes sense. There has been many, many great finds lately, and I couldn't place them, as no local DJ has been selling that I knew of, and they weren't records that your average joe blow would have. Lots and lots of great old disco 12"s and classic hip-hop.

Real Groovy has a monopoly on second hand tunes in Auckland here. It's the only store around. It's annoying in a city of 1 million+ people. Prices have shot up accordingly. It's more and more difficult to score cheaper stuff, but if you look often enough some turn up. A lot of the guys in trades are rock/hardcore guys, so the not-so-well-known hip-hop and disco stuff gets through.

Thanks for all the recomendations!! Super lists!
    Some of the hip-hop & disco stuff is coming straight from the States because Real Groovy are now buying overflow stock from Amoeba in LA by the container load. So none of that US pressed stuff is gonna dry up anytime soon, sweet.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Hey Lucero!

I'm gonna be in Melbourne this weekend from Sunday through to Tuesday... anything hip hop wise going on? I'll be staying in the CBD near Latrobe and Spencer streets.. are those spots hard to get to? Sorry, my geography is pretty woeful!

Also looking for somewhere good to catch the Australia vs Netherlands game - any suggestions? Or should I watch it at Crown??

Max - the stuff on monday / tues nights is uni crowd sort of things, I would look at the oz hip hop site to see whats on, honkytonks on sunday night might be ok

prahan is easy to get to via train & you can walk from there to high st

gertrude st / northside - catch a tram, there are lots of options - the 112 to the corner of brunswick & gertrude, the 82 to right outside northside (this one goes up bourke in the city) otr the 109 to the corner of smith and victoria - check the whereis.com.au site to get a feel for things

Dunno about the soccer - I suspect loads of places will be showing it

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    If you're ever in Sydney I'll hip you to some spots when you're over here!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Last time I was in Melbourne (about 2 months ago), pickings were slim everywhere except one shop...

LICORICE PIE on HIGH STREET. Do not miss this store, say what's up to "Dave" for me. Last time I was there I got a Aussie 45 that I was after and Ian Carr - Roots and some other stuff at great prices...

Northside was quite decent too...

John Idems store, The Record Bar, was pretty bare and uninteresting to me, not much stock and it fucked with my sinuses. However John said some guys came in and cleaned him out, worth a quick peek.

If you wanna do the digs, make sure you go to Camberwell and hit the stores there, also hit up all the Dixon's, there's definitly some shit in some of the ones further out of the city...

I'll post a thorough list of shops in Melbourne soon...

Sydney, don't miss Revolve Records... and bring in some trades, I'm sure if John's in the store, he'll be down to do some business. He had some very interesting stuff on the wall when I was down there...

If you make it to Brissy, holla.

peace.

I'm gonna be in Melbourne this weekend from Sunday through to Tuesday... anything hip hop wise going on?

DON'T FORGET THERE'S THE CAMBERWELL RECORD FAIR ON THIS SUNDAY in MELBS! Don't miss it. You can get an earlybird in there, save your $$ for that, last time I went I cleaned up nicely...

Here are some directions from a post on another site, but you might wanna double confirm by searching the web/looking for a flier beforehand, because there's some speculation the venue has moved.

"TRAIN - catch a belgrave lilydale train to camberwell station, walk down burke road to the junction, then stroll 100metres up camberwell rd and your there.

if you drive; bung your car down bridge road, it then becomes burwoord road, keep persisting until you reach a fork in the road, that takes you down camberwell road and the record fair will be just over the other side of the junction."

peace.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Welcome to the board!

and thanks for the warming gift.

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    I'd say that Liquorice Pie is the pick of the bunch too. Dave's a good bloke.
    They always have something good there.

• I'm gonna be in Melbourne this weekend from Sunday through to Tuesday... anything hip hop wise going on?

DON'T FORGET THERE'S THE CAMBERWELL RECORD FAIR ON THIS SUNDAY in MELBS! Don't miss it. You can get an earlybird in there, save your $$ for that, last time I went I cleaned up nicely...

Here are some directions from a post on another site, but you might wanna double confirm by searching the web/looking for a flier beforehand, because there's some speculation the venue has moved.

"TRAIN - catch a belgrave lilydale train to camberwell station, walk down burke road to the junction, then stroll 100metres up camberwell rd and your there.

if you drive; bung your car down bridge road, it then becomes burwoord road, keep persisting until you reach a fork in the road, that takes you down camberwell road and the record fair will be just over the other side of the junction."

peace.

Cheers Bev! Nice one! I might look into that.. I've got a prior arrangement around midday I've got to be at Crown for.. any idea what time the doors open?? A couple of hours digging would do me just fine!

I think doors open early.. like 8am or ealier. You can get an earlybird for an extra $5... don't even contemplate that extra doe, early bird always catches the sayer...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    haha

those were my directions sheep!'

I'm relitively new to the collecting game, but I have a similar taste as you scrimbo, i.e. disco and boogie etc.

I have had my best 45 finds at Jaycee's although I was there on saturday and it was a bit slim. Northside is my favorite store of them all. Its got a great atmosphere, the staff are heaps helpful and great taste also.

One spot people have failed to mention is "wax muesuem" in the underpass at flinders street station. They have an awesome selection of hip hop and fairly solid funk stock too.

good luck in your quest.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

go the kiwis!

yeah, AK used to have me fucking fuming, there is such a lack of digging spots, hell i used to be a buyer for a large chainstore getting promoed weekly and i was still going fuckin nuts.
    Sydney was great to me, someone mentioned the Pitt st stores, OH yeahs, i came up with some tasty nuggets there, this is going back 6 years now but Kings Cross used to have some sweet 2nd hand stores, i remember one where the old guy said, "yes we have some old records, heres the key to the backroom, there is a record player in there, its next to the coffee machine, help yourself"

and dont ever underestimate the power of St. Vinnies!!! (Oz version of Salvation army stores) i hit the motherload in the bondi one on Hall st once, someones mum musthave cleared out an attic.

ok enough from me,

ka kite.

oh yeah, do me a favour and grab a steak and cheese, you have no idea how much i miss them.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    In Sydney, check out Good Grooves (lots of JA 7s, random funk and hip hop) and Darlo Barber at 275 Victoria Rd, DARLINGHURST. Darlobarber is actually a functioning barbershop - quite a surreal experience digging while blokes get their haircut four feet away.

Goulds used books in Newtown is literally stuffed with thousands of records. Don't know if its stock gets replenished, but if you've got a day to burn and lots of patience, you might find a few things in all the crap.

Good luck

In Sydney, check out Good Grooves (lots of JA 7s, random funk and hip hop) and Darlo Barber at 275 Victoria Rd, DARLINGHURST. Darlobarber is actually a functioning barbershop - quite a surreal experience digging while blokes get their haircut four feet away.

OH SNAP! that place is the shit! i had completly forgotten, so its called goodgroove, i always thought it was called "that place, you know with the records and the barber chairs, you know, all the boxing pics on the wall"

highly recommended.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Good Groove Moved late last year to a spot just around the corner from the Barber Shop. I wouldn't bother with Good groove but the barber Shop has some nice stuff - it's basically all consignment stock froma few funk collectores so there is quite a good range of stuff.

I wouldn't waste my time with Goulds either - years back it was awesome but these days there doesn't seem to be any movement in stock at all.

• I think doors open early.. like 8am or ealier. You can get an earlybird for an extra $5... don't even contemplate that extra doe, early bird always catches the sayer...

thanks for the heads up bev, i'll be arriving at melb airport at 6am so might just jump in a cab straight to camberwell.. digging with my travel bag and everything.. should be fun!

• lickslicks 6 Posts
    Sydney wise

Revolve in Erskineville is definately the go for what you're after.
    Egg Records round the corner has usually got some good finds as well.
    Pigeonground in Stanmore is worth a look too.
    Mint Records in Marrickville turns up the occassional boogie gem but it's not sure fire.
    Gould's isn't worth touching with a ten foot pole. 30K records and all of them shite.
    The Darlo Barber's a good place for reggae and funk.
    Good Groove may not be brilliant but if you're in the area you could do worse in these parts.
    Bugden's Book Store on William st Kings Cross has a nice little selection out back. You find the occasional gem very cheap.
    There's a bunch of record stores near cnr Pitt and Goulbourn st that are worth checking too.

Have fun

Bugden's Book Store on William st Kings Cross has a nice little selection out back. You find the occasional gem very cheap.