Memorial Day - for those who came before us.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
In recognition of those who have served.Joseph BakerB. March 21st, 1914 - D. August 10th, 19993584th Mechanized Infantry Division, US Army. WW2, D-Day Plus One, Omaha Beach, European TheatreMy grandfather and my mother. Miss you pop-pop.My mom's website.Feel free to add on any thoughts, reflections, recognitions, anything.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice post and a needed reminder of what this day is all about.

That pic of your Gramps with the beer is mackin'!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Props to vets and fallen soldiers.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was in the bluest of blue states (Massachusetts!) at a liberal women's college graduation on Sunday, watching my sister walk (Summa Cum Laude!!! PROPPPPPPPS!). Anyway her boyfriend/fiance was with us, recently returned from Iraq. Dude showed up in full uniform with stripes, ribbons, etc. I found myself feeling real proud to walk with the dude, obviously we think differently about a few things but he is as 100 as it gets and I feel priviledged to count him as a friend; moreover to count him as one of the defenders of this country.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    real fucking talk.

It's really easy, especially with our administartion and our nation's history, to have a negative view on the military, but at the end of the day those dudes and dudettes are still regular people who share the same pain and joy that we all do.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    real fucking talk.

It's really easy, especially with our administartion and our nation's history, to have a negative view on the military, but at the end of the day those dudes and dudettes are still regular people who share the same pain and joy that we all do.

indeed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude... Cos... posts like this are why you are one of my favorite strutters.

My sister called me on Sunday to wish me a happy memorial day since I was a GI. I told her I think that memorial day is only for dead GIs, but thanks anyways, and call grandpa. hehe.

I attended granpa's funeral in class A's. Since he was a sailor in WWII he got a military burial. I'll tell you this: Saluting a grandfather (and its a slow salute, military custom) while taps plays is really.... well, I dare you to try it without crying. Taps still makes me all choked up. I suppose Cas and Bell are the only ones here to have had to do it, but its some shit.

Anyways, I'm in Taipei right now!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I wanted to start a Memorial Day thread yesterday but I was worried about the backlash that I would receive from the anti-military hatter brigade that infests these boards.

I tip my hat to all those that made the ultimate sacrifice, past, present and future.

R.I.P SPC Merila and SSG Burbank.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I wanted to start a Memorial Day thread yesterday but I was worried about the backlash that I would receive from the anti-military hatter brigade that infests these boards.

Aw, man, are people on the board really trying to hate on the men and women that serve?

That's just sad and embarassing.

However people feel about the war in Iraq, they should have the maturity to separate the administration that is making those decisions from the men and women that have to actually live with them.

I have the utmost respect for people that serve.