DISCUSS

ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
    Hey, that's original.

What's next? Your own version of "letters to things and people"?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

1. Never Heard it, but JLH always brings something special.

2. I like this record. And I dig Terry's mustache.

3. Never like nor hated Joe Jackson...on the fence.

4. Level 42....same deal. The bass playing gets a bit wanky on the stuff I have heard, though, but I admit that record sleeve is pretty sweet.

5. I respect Fugazi as people who have maintained their indepedence while having some success in the music industry, but I can't say I enjoy their records in the slightest.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    1. Earl Hooker is the man.

2. "I Destroyed Your Love Part 2" =

3. Back when we were in junior high a friend of mine found a cassette in teh street with a dub of Look Sharp on one side and a Dead Kennedy's album on the other. Ever since then, Joe Jackson has been a genius to me.

4. I go back and forth on whether playing Starchild out would be uber-cool or uber-

5. I respect Fugazi as people who have maintained their indepedence while having some success in the music industry, but I can't say I enjoy their records in the slightest.

Really? That surprises me. I would figure you'd love them. I sure do in that I wish folks would get over their story already and focus in on the quality of their music. Instrument has some hip-hop-oriented instrumentals on it to boot.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Hey, that's original.

and did Iron already use that Joe Jackson record?

Really? That surprises me. I would figure you'd love them. I sure do in that I wish folks would get over their story already and focus in on the quality of their music. Instrument has some hip-hop-oriented instrumentals on it to boot.

They just don't have any rock and roll to them. They have lots of energy, they have a mystique, I'll give them all that. But they just don't have any sexiness or humor to what they do, it seems very neutered and neutral to me. Just how I see it. I have seen 'em live, and they are better than the records for sure.

Hey, that's original.

Fool, I'm as original as they come.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Hey, that's original.

which is why you bit IRon monkeys post steez.

And blatantly.

Hey, that's original.

And blatantly.

May I breathe now?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Hook has done better than this. Just a formless jam session elpee. Only one decent track, IMO - "Bang Bang Bang Bang" (which is his pop hit "Boom Boom" with new words). Even the two-record ENDLESS BOOGIE was more listenable.

• Bsides_Bsides_ 22 Posts

yar.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

They just don't have any rock and roll to them. They have lots of energy, they have a mystique, I'll give them all that. But they just don't have any sexiness or humor to what they do, it seems very neutered and neutral to me. Just how I see it. I have seen 'em live, and they are better than the records for sure.

" no sexiness and humor to what they do"....classic!

bman. did you read the article that came out on them in the dc city paper about a year and a half ago talking about how they were the puritans of rock and roll and that they killed rock & roll in general because of their "trying to do good" characteristics?

i was outraged by the article. shit to me was just a big poking match where the author that *wasn't even from dc was trashing dc's music by only covering half of the punk rock scene during that time. he didnt even mention bad brains.

imo, whats wrong with trying to convey a message in your music? that doesn't kill rock and roll.

however, telling people to not mosh and slam dance at a punk rock show.

with that said. fugazi is still my shit. then again, so is bad brains.

Just a formless jam session elpee.

Exactly what makes it appealing. Makes me feel like I'm in the room with them as they groove along.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

bman. did you read the article that came out on them in the dc city paper about a year and a half ago talking about how they were the puritans of rock and roll and that they killed rock & roll in general because of their "trying to do good" characteristics?

wow i'd like to read that.

when i was like 17 fuagazi / minor threat were like fuckin religion to me and some of my homies... man were we ever a bunch of shithead asshole straight edgers.. thank goodness i found the devil weed and got out of that shit quick...

i have to agree fugazi ruined rock music... they took all the fun out of punk and turned it into this irritating cultish thing with rules and regulations. They're largely responsible for the girth or totally dull post rock / post punk AND Emo.

its hard to seperate any of that from the fact that yeah they made a couple good records. And thirdly i find it scarily shocking how a large large portion of their fans who proclaim their genius and have never even listened to Ganbg Of Four.

bad brains on the other hand best show i've ever seen in my life and they only played for a 1/2 an hour.

" no sexiness and humor to what they do"....classic!

i was outraged by the article. shit to me was just a big poking match where the author that *wasn't even from dc was trashing dc's music by only covering half of the punk rock scene during that time. he didnt even mention bad brains.

imo, whats wrong with trying to convey a message in your music? that doesn't kill rock and roll.

however, telling people to not mosh and slam dance at a punk rock show.

with that said. fugazi is still my shit. then again, so is bad brains.

See, Bad Brains I can get with, and I remember that article as being a long diatribe on the level of "unless you smoke a lotta drugs and bed down with skanky groupies, you are not rock and roll and not keepin it real" which was just plain corny. That dude clearly had an axe to grind and it was just embarrassing to him and anyone that took him seriously.

I was careful to point out that Fugazi are just not for me, not that they just plain "suck". I do think their records are almost unforgivably dull, given the level of performance their live show generates, especially their rapport with an audience. Hey, I feel the same way about Sonic Youth...I understand the appeal of these acts, I just don't get excited by them or care to listen to their stuff because to me it's just dull.

And I have no problem with a message, but most of the Fugazi stuff I have heard is not message-heavy, I think the message is in how they do business and conduct themselves. And frankly, that I have IMMENSE respect for. But you and I probably differ about message-driven rock. I generally think that such an idea is silly and gets in the way of a musical idiom that is generally escapist. Even the MC5's 'political' stuff is fun and loud first, polemical second(and really, most of it is pretty cartoonish as opposed to actually political). But that's the beauty of a great big world!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey, that's original.

And blatantly.

May I breathe now?

I think "original" means something different in Project Blowedian