DC/Virginia/Baltimore

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going to be heading to this area this weekend for a wedding and I might be able to squeeze in some record shopping on Saturday and again on Sunday morning - at least I hope to.Anyone have any recommended spots? There used to be a place in Baltimore that had good stock. A handful of old school bins on the lower level where the CDs were and then upstairs was all the new vinyl. It was across the street from another place, but I don't remember anything about that one. These places sill there? Anything better? Thanks.

Comments

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

Cosign.......overall it's a good place to hit. Things there fluctuate though, depends on who has what.

Bringing any trades with ya?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hit the arbutis show

there are lots of shops in Balt but I don't know the one you speak of

Go check NevilleC's new spot in DC

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Arbutus...yes!

Joe's Record Paradise in Baltimore is closed, Rockville still open.

There's a spot on Broadway in Fells Point called Own Guru worth checking out.

The store you're describing sounds like "Dimensions in Music" which is pretty much a rap/baltimore club/classics shop. Second floor has tons of new and used records, although the pricing is pretty zany and the stock is stagnant.

Crooked Beat in DC is worth the trip.

My pick: go to Arbutus!

Own Guru is a nice shop, for sure

If I had to choose one I would go to the show (get there EARLY).

Go check NevilleC's new spot in DC

It's not open yet, But i'm sure he'd be willing to show you some stock. BTW I have material for sale as well, just depends on what your looking for.

That was because Neville C was the record buyer and sole holder of record assets. He's since moved out for his own shop, as mentioned above.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

allen's shop
    he will be at the arbutis show, too

• I'll definitely try to check the show out as well as some of these shops listed.

There's also a spot in Baltimore, I've heard, that's a bit tucked away behind some other buildings, where the owner pulls samples for customers. I'm not interested in samples, but I hear the stock is pretty good there anyway. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It might be one of the ones listed already...

Anyone know when NevilleC's spot opens?

And, no trades. I'm not driving up, so I'm trying to pack as light as possible (at least one way...)

Thanks all.

Anyone know when NevilleC's spot opens?

I just got off the phone with him, he says sometime early June. He's still working on the details that go with opening a business.

Neverenoughmoney I think you are talking about Own Guru.

Nice dude, nice stock, nice prices......... but dude knows his shit so don't expect $$$$ jazz records in the dollar bins!

Btw as Tim said he also will be at the show.

That was because Neville C was the record buyer and sole holder of record assets. He's since moved out for his own shop, as mentioned above.

oh shit i am way late.

i'll definitely hit up the new store soon.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Just got back from another late night trying to get my new store open. Still about a week away. Waiting on permits and the like. Gonna be called Som Records and the address is 1843 14th Street NW (corner of 14th and T). I will defiinitely holler when its open. Gonna be a sweet spot.

Crooked Beat by the way will continue to be open and run by Bill Daly. Bill is slowly bringing in used vinyl. He's mainly a punk rock guy so the selection will lean that way but it also means that some good stuff may come through there cheap (if I don't get to it first).

• Own Guru is a nice shop, for sure

Anyone have the address on Own Guru?

I can only find a listing for My Own Guru in Bmore, located at 911 w. 36th St.

PM if you want.

Anyone have the address on Own Guru?

I can only find a listing for My Own Guru in Bmore, located at 911 w. 36th St.

PM if you want.

Own Guru is on Broadway, right next to 728 S. Broadway (what was once Flashbacks--it's now some sort of clothing store or whatever). There should be a sign leading to an iron gate...ring the doorbell above the gate.

Like JP said, filled with pristine undervalued scores Own Guru is not, but they do have a good selection and are nice guys. Arbutus is the move though.