Jimmy Smith's Mojo recordings

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I've seen another release on MOJO by Jimmy Smith besides "Paid In Full" on eBay once. It had a red cover.
How many MOJO releases by Jimmy are there? MOJO was Jimmy's own label, right? Are there other musicians on MOJO?

edited:

just found out:

There're at least 4 releases by Jimmy on MOJO:

JS 75
Can't Get Enough
Paid In Full
Second Coming

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Second Coming

this one's decent..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've seen another release on MOJO by Jimmy Smith besides "Paid In Full" on eBay once. It had a red cover.
    How many MOJO releases by Jimmy are there? MOJO was Jimmy's own label, right? Are there other musicians on MOJO?

edited:

just found out:

There're at least 4 releases by Jimmy on MOJO:

JS 75
    Can't Get Enough
    Paid In Full
    Second Coming

I used to think there were just 3. Then a few months ago a friend showed me Second Coming. It's from the 80's and did not look to interesting to me. CGE and PIF are very good records. I think they are recorded with his road band and groove better than a lot of the Verve stuff. I have not heard 75.

Dan

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have not heard 75.

The cover is the best thing about it.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    there's something i always loved about "feel like making love" on '75. worth it for just that tune. and i sort of remember one other that did it for me.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I got the Paid In Full. It's Jimmy's best record to me (although I don't know all LPs by him). Superb tunes. That's why I was wondering about the other MOJO stuff. The records were sold at concerts only, right?

I'm curious about the Second Coming LP. A friend of mine picked up a late 80s release by Jimmy. Lots of dirty talk plus funky songs. Surprisingly good!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have 2 of Smith's Mojo recordings, Jimmy Smith 75 and Paid In Full. Each has one really good song apiece, good if you find them, but not really LPs I would put my time and money into tracking down.

Reviews:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=S&page=7