Correction: MISSOURI Leads the Nation (NRR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Town Cracks Down On Unwed CouplesBLACK JACK, Mo., May 17, 2006--------------------------------------------------------------------------------(CBS/AP) The city council in Black Jack, Mo., has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together. The mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction. Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married. The town's planning and zoning commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the city council in a 5-3 vote. "I'm just shocked," Shelltrack said. "I really thought this would all be over, and we could go on with our lives." Mayor Norman McCourt said starting Wednesday the city will begin trying to evict groups who do not fit into Black Jack???s definition of family, reports CBS affiliate KMOV-TV in St. Louis. The current ordinance prohibits more than three people from living together unless they are related by "blood, marriage or adoption." The defeated measure would have changed the definition of a family to include unmarried couples with two or more children. McCourt declined to be interviewed, but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction. In the statement, McCourt said, "the city provides information about its occupancy permit requirements to anyone who requests it. ... As mayor, I am required by state law to uphold the laws of the city of Black Jack." Black Jack's special counsel, Sheldon Stock, declined to say whether the city will seek to remove Loving and Shelltrack from their home. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/17/national/main1625059.shtml

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Black Jack , Mizzuuree

lil ol backwards thinking town in st louis county area

back when i lived in the area, it was known for their speed traps & racist cops

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Black Jack , Mizzuuree

JEEBUS...it's too early. Missouri indeed. I hereby apologize to all Mississippians I may have offended.....How I could have jumped to such a conclusion is beyond me...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Black Jack , Mizzuuree

JEEBUS...it's too early. Missouri indeed. I hereby apologize to all Mississippians I may have offended.....How I could have jumped to such a conclusion is beyond me...

Mississippi has enough issues with being backward and crazy without you throwing this on them. Mainly the story about the mayor of Jackson pulling over buses full of school children in order to give them hugs.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Black Jack , Mizzuuree

Mississippi has enough issues with being backward and crazy without you throwing this on them. Mainly the story about the mayor of Jackson pulling over buses full of school children in order to give them hugs.

Link PLAESE!!!!

Black Jack , Mizzuuree

Link PLAESE!!!!

I will look for it, but it was about a week ago.

Black Jack , Mizzuuree

Link PLAESE!!!!

I will look for it, but it was about a week ago.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/NEWS/605040377/1263

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Black Jack , Mizzuuree

Hmmm, then perhaps it's worth nothing that this couple being booted out is an interracial one.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Hmmm, then perhaps it's worth nothing that this couple being booted out is an interracial one.

the most racist part of st louis was the north county (like black jack)
    i moved there (north st louis) in 78
    & they were still having violent protest against busing,
    burning crosses in yards & other kkk moves
    coming from south carolina
    i thought their "southern culture" take in the midwest a bit strange
    +
    don't get me started on what st louis people say about "hoosiers"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/NEWS/605040377/1263

"It's been such a stressful two weeks," Melton said. "I wanted to shake their hands. I wanted to touch them. That's all it was.

Reminds of the scene in School Of Rock where he tells the parents "Your kids have really touched me and I like to think I touched them"

Only difference is this guy really touched the kids.