The Irony Of Outsourcing (NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I recently started working with a young guy who's from just outside Bombay, India. Came to the States 5 years ago and received a degree from Duke....very bright guy with a great sense of humor.During the course of conversation I asked him what he liked most and least about the U.S.He said what he liked most was "our system" and went on to explain that back home in India it was difficult to get things like phone and electric service turned on without paying bribes and then you still had to wait a month. But here in the U.S. all you had to do was make a phone call and within 24 hours it was done.Then he said what he liked least about the U.S. was "our system" and went on to explain that when he made that phone call to get his phone turned on in Dallas it was answered in BOMBAY, INDIA!!!!!!

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i called ibm for some warranty shit recently and when transferring my call it specifically said that the call center was located in atlanta georgia and girl definitely had a southern accent.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    word, I remember talking to a Verizon tech support dude in Southeast Asia. He said he liked basketball i think. it was kinda cool.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this right:

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_uk.php?id=1220953

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I had to make a service call on an HP printer and my call was routed to two different overseas call centers, before I finally ended up with a guy in Canada (who was able to solve the problem).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    I just was on the phone with someone from India to get some help on a toshiba notebook. All I can say was dude was the best technical support dude I've ever dealt with. Far superior than anyone I have ever come in contact with over the phone. I don't just mean for tech support, I mean ever... I have to credit Toshiba or who ever is running the call centre. Wasn't just helpful fixing the problem, but also just wanted to make sure I was happy with my toshiba product. Let me know the warrenty was never filled out and did it for me and set it starting from a month ago, eventhough the laptop was about 6 months old. And then he goes ahead and gives me a Return ID # just incase there is still a problem with the notebook and gives me all the info of where to take it (Giving me all the contact info for 3 different places). Reassures me twice that there will be no cost what so ever and continues being a top dude.

I will never think twice about buying a toshiba product after that call. Quality service all the way.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I forget what news show ran the story, but i remember seeing something last year about outsourcing and they showed a training center somewhere overseas where they were teaching english and stuff. The thing that got me though was that they made each of them pick an American name to use when they were at work. So these guys and girls in Bombay, India (example) had to say, "Thank you for calling {inset corpo name} this is Josh (or Erin or Brian or Jessica)".

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this right:

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_uk.php?id=1220953

They ride Datsun on Tony!? Why aren't they concerned about that?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I caught a news report on NBC the other night that noted that some companies are starting to move production and call centers back in the U.S. despite higher labor costs because they 1) in some cases, production efficiency is better here, 2) "Made in USA" still has a certain cache and 3) customers were complaining about having their customer service handled halfway around the world.

I doubt this is part of a wider trend though.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I caught a news report on NBC the other night that noted that some companies are starting to move production and call centers back in the U.S. despite higher labor costs because they 1) in some cases, production efficiency is better here,[/b] 2) "Made in USA" still has a certain cache and 3) customers were complaining about having their customer service handled halfway around the world.

I doubt this is part of a wider trend though.

I coordinate an outsourcing project with India and they are very very slow and it has become counter productive to have them do the work. I am talking 3 hours for our people to 13 hours for theirs.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Saying nice things about outsourcing makes baby Jesus cry.