"understanding latin rhythms" record (with sound!)

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Gday guys,Been a while since I posted but back again at the 'strut!Wish I unearthed something to post about but pickings have been pretty slim down my neck of the woods. Instead, I thought I'd post some info about a record I picked up years ago that I'm none the wiser about. I'd like to think this was a rare record, being seeing as I turned it up at a record fair in Perth in NM condition, I doubt it. Released in 1974 on LPV, it's basically 10 tracks of nothing but latin-style percussion with plenty of mad congo work.. for an example of what I'm talking about, check the soundclip...Understand Latin RhythmsDoes anyone have anything else on this label? Is there a similar series with different rhythms such as jazz / rock / samba etc?? Anyhow, it's a dope record and was a steal at A$2...Thanks for your help!cheersmax

Comments

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    I like that record too. Quite listenable considering it's supposed to be an instructional record - there's some real heavyweights on it. And there is a Vol. 2.

• Cheers kid, thanks for the information! In your opinion is volume 2 better than the first?

Thinking about it now, considering the record is on LPV which stands for Latin something-or-rather-starting-with-P Ventures (not sure as I'm at work at the moment and don't have the sleeve on me), I doubt there'd be anything else on the series that wasn't Latin-style...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I saw Patato play at the PR Heineken jazz fest a few years ago. He played along with Giovani Hidalgo, Patato was up there in years like 75 if I'm not mistaken. Could still smack those congas though. Dude is an old Cuban legend, played with Benny More, Arsenio Rodriguez and many more. I think he passed away recently, but am not sure.
    Jose Mangual is better known as Buyu, also a great conguero from Spanish Harlem. He has a solo album on Turnstyle, that despite its late release date, is really good. His son also plays the congas and has shows in NY every once in a while.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i got volume 2 sealed a couple months ago...not a very exciting record at all, maybe the first ones better? the cover is at least...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    had volume 2 a couple months ago...not a very exciting record at all, maybe the first ones better? the cover is at least...

co-sign

much cooler cover

• deluxedeluxe 4 Posts

thats the cover of the BUYU solo record, which is a pretty solid album! A really enjoyable listen!

Speaking of which has anyone got a spare/double copy? I played mine the other day and it decided to skip right at the beginning of my favourite track, so i need a new copy!!!

and LPV stands for Latin Percussion Ventures, makers of great timbales!

that 'understanding..' cover is dope though! Cheers for the audio!

• and LPV stands for Latin Percussion Ventures, makers of great timbales!

My pleasure - glad you liked it! And I agree, the cover is very dope! '70s graphic design is just so ill!

Incidentally, from the same guy at the record show I picked up this awesome double LP - "How to Play Electric Bass" by Carole Kaye. Two whole records of nothing but Axelrod's favourite bass player playing bass. There was supposed to be an instruction book that came with the LP but no sign of it in mine. Anyone else got this and the booklet?

I'll post some audio tomorrow if people are interested!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

My pleasure - glad you liked it! And I agree, the cover is very dope! '70s graphic design is just so ill!

Incidentally, from the same guy at the record show I picked up this awesome double LP - "How to Play Electric Bass" by Carole Kaye. Two whole records of nothing but Axelrod's favourite bass player playing bass. There was supposed to be an instruction book that came with the LP but no sign of it in mine. Anyone else got this and the booklet?

Is this just bass, or are there tracks with other instruments?

• Is this just bass, or are there tracks with other instruments?

Nothing but bass - a producer's dream!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

damn, i thought all she had was just tapes of her playing bass. I heard she's real easy to get a hold of. My boy was going back and forth with her via e-mail a few years ago.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

damn, i thought all she had was just tapes of her playing bass. I heard she's real easy to get a hold of. My boy was going back and forth with her a few years ago. [/b]

Airing out a lady's personal B.I. like that is not cool, Young Phonics. Do I have to tell you everything about this decorum game? Who fastens your bib when I'm not around?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    ha..you fucking low-life! Only a real degenerate would try to turn an normal conversation between a 20-something and a lady who may be old enough to be his grandmother into something "SALACIOUS".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    LP is Latin Percussion, a drum maker. the owner of the company is Marty Cohen. They're still around, and make some of the best drums around.

www.latinpercussion.com
    also check out Cohen's site:
    www.congahead.com
    which has a ton of photos of latin music greats.

Volume 1 is much better (my copy's missing the insert -

there are a couple great Patato rumba records on the label

the recording quality/production on all these records is fantastic.