rockboxing the ipod

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
has anybody on the board done this yet? it's a hack that allows you to play mixes,etc. gapless,change the layout, and info of the screen. you can play doom,pacman on your ipod.looks pretty good, the developers have succuesfully used this program on archos and irivers. they have updates every day and they plan to have a "offical" version up by novemberjust wondered what strutters experiences have been with this.you can find it on rockbox.org

Comments

• Yeah, I put Rockbox and Podzilla on my video ipod... Haven't gotten too in depth with it yet. Right now I'm just using it to play Doom and Tetris on the train. I'm trying to find a way for Rockbox to browse mp3s using their ID3 tags. iTunes renames all your mp3s when you copy them over to the iPod so you get a bunch of directories with names like DEFG, so you won't know what the songs are until you actually play them in the file browser. You could always just copy the files over manually in disk mode, but I like using iTunes and ID3 tags to organize my shit. Anyone know how to set this up?

edit: think I just found out how here

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    It's because of rockbox that

1 - I ended up going on ebay to get a refurbished iRiver 120.
    2 - That I'll actually consider an ipod when the iRiver gives out.

Gapless playback for LAME-encoded MP3s, FLAC playback, faster bootup/better battery usage, and being a file-tree guy and not a database guy for music were the biggest draws for me. The neat lil' games to play while on the regional rail were just a bonus (until I break down and get a DS Lite, anyway).

Worst thing I can say about rockbox is that sometimes (about once a month or so), I end up having to reset it because of a software error due to a poorly coded update or previously unknown bug. The benefits still outweigh that inconveinence.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ipods are a fashion accessory. just look at any fucktard's playlist. 2/3 of the shit is what you hear on the radio anyhow. why do yo need 40gigs for that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you been doing situps fatback?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    why do yo need 40gigs for that.

So you have enough songs ready for requests at the next DJ gig. Duh.

• has anybody on the board done this yet? it's a hack that allows you to play mixes,etc. gapless

i dont have an ipod but i was talking to my friend who has one. he said he didnt like putting mixes on it because of the gaps. is there anyway to get rid of them? say for instance he has a mixcd he wanted to put on it.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    has anybody on the board done this yet? it's a hack that allows you to play mixes,etc. gapless

i dont have an ipod but i was talking to my friend who has one. he said he didnt like putting mixes on it because of the gaps. is there anyway to get rid of them? say for instance he has a mixcd he wanted to put on it.

rockbox.org, it's all there.

I spent two weeks designing my own wps (while playing screen) and rwps (wps for my remote). Fonts, scroll speed, size, displays of next song, batt time left, volume meters, I got my geek on. This was particularly handy because I have files from many different sources which are all tagged differently, and some which aren't tagged at all, but with my wps I made sure I could see all the info I wanted for each file when it plays.
    Full in-depth equalizer, customizable crossfading, many recording features (for iRiver), games, pics, text, on the go setlists, gapless play, filetree navigation... the list goes on.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    can someone help me w/ this.
    i went through all the steps.
    i unzipped the .rockbox into my ipod root, yet when i reboot my ipod i cant see any songs
    i only get the four folders from my ipod disc drive:
    calendar
    notes
    data
    etc.

where is my music?

• can someone help me w/ this.
    i went through all the steps.
    i unzipped the .rockbox into my ipod root, yet when i reboot my ipod i cant see any songs
    i only get the four folders from my ipod disc drive:
    calendar
    notes
    data
    etc.

where is my music?

look at my above post

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    cache'ing as we speak.
    the idea of having tetris on my ipod is irresistable.