That On-U-Sound Fiyah

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
All that talk of The New Age Steppers in the Neneh Cherry thread made me pull out some old Adrian Sherwood produced madness:Man, I love this stuff. That dubreggae meets punky new wave sound Sherwood and his singers & players brought to the table was . I've got a handful but I need more more more. One of my friends used to bust this crazy African Headcharge tape all the time when we were working at this mexican take-out jawn. I want to hear more Playgroup, "Epic Sound Battles" is so good. Need the second N.A.S. too. Tell me about some On-U-Sound heaters i need.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the 10"s

i like this one...even though they sucked live

Dervish Chant by African Headcharge is amazing

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

This made my highschooldays...a friend of mine actually is/was able to roll that one, a 3 in 1 spliff (ok, not 4, but three and then they all go into on end, quite an experience to smoke)...brings back good ol memories...one of the best On U I'd say...and not just because of the cover..."wadada means love!"...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yea, what's up with that? I bought tickets for about 5 of my friends and told them this would be a great show they couldn't miss and it sucked really bad. How are these guys so great in the studio but bad live. To much pot and overdub chances?

Yea, that whole LP is bananas!!!!!

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I always had a soft spot for Tackheads 'Friendly as a hand grenade'

Yea, what's up with that? I bought tickets for about 5 of my friends and told them this would be a great show they couldn't miss and it sucked really bad. How are these guys so great in the studio but bad live. To much pot and overdub chances?

yea...to be honest, i think they were lucky on record - lol...there are some truly horrible MOR and wanky moments on these records that didn't make the shitty live show that much of a surprise. i kind of thought it was a gamble to see them on stage.

• Options
    Heard a couple decent things, but overall haven't been a fan. More a fan of their new wave sound than any of dub 'tings.

Call me salty, K.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the 10"s

which tour/line up sucked ?!?

K,
    what about those singers & players joints ?
    bim, far i, congo roy & mikey dread with raddics = some hard stuff

also that jah woosh - woodpecker bird song is far out

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

This made my highschooldays...a friend of mine actually is/was able to roll that one, a 3 in 1 spliff (ok, not 4, but three and then they all go into on end, quite an experience to smoke)...brings back good ol memories...one of the best On U I'd say...and not just because of the cover..."wadada means love!"...

this album ruled my life.

the follow ups echomania and ital breakfast are also damn good.

ahhh memories...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i need "war of the words" badly... anyone have one to trade, pleez PM me...

the 10"s

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the 10"s

i caught them in st louis spring 97 on the return east from austin
    not a classic show, last show of the tour
    line up with style & bagga on rhythm
    nice to see old pals