"Unique & Excellent"

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=1619NoMamesBuey Says: May 13th, 2006 at 2:16 pm Fort Minor as wack, WTF?!Did you or Kelefa Sanneh actually listed to Fort Minor???s ???The Rising Tied??? album? That was one of the BEST albums of 2005. Many agree with me on this opinion, including hiphopsite.com http://www.hiphopsite.com/SEARCH/?ITEM=78888C0F-1772-4D6D-9403-268A9158D1EF#reviewThe beats (all produced by Shinoda) are unique & excellent. I would rate Shinoda???s MC skills at the ???B level???. He???s definitely not at the ???world class A level of MC??? as say Nas/Black Thought/Jay-Z/Talib Kweli. However, he???s good/decent MC. Also the subject matter of Shinoda???s lyrics is interesting. To me A beats + B lyrics + interesting/unique subject matter = dope album (Ditto for Kanye BTW).It seems to me that many rap fans these days have a bias against ???MCs that are not authentic thugs???. It seems that the ???non-thugs??? have to be ???A level??? MCs to get any props. While ???D level??? thug MCs lack of lyricism is not criticized because they have ???a cool swagger??? or ???say good ???yeah??? adlibs??? WTF?!Now some of the ???thug??? rap is some of the greatest of all time. For instance Nas, Kool G. Rap, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, Big Pun have rapped about selling crack, murder, etc. But much of the current ???thug raps??? frankly suck. Since rapping about selling crack has been done 1000 times, why would I want to listen to a ???D-level??? MC do it for the 1001st time when I got Nas/BIG/etc on my mp3 player already.Finally, check Shinoda???s ???Bloc Party??? verse of the ???Fort Minor We Major??? mixtape.Shinoda >> typical mediocre ???thug??? rapper such as Young Jeezy, Camron or 50 Cent. Shinoda ETHERS non-lyrical cats such as these. After listening to that Shinoda versed I mentioned, if you don???t feel me on this, we can agree to disagree. But I will have to conclude that you???re a horrible rap critic. In other words, my amateur rap 5-minute opinion ETHERS your ???professional??? rap critic job ???skills???

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's been a commercial for this album running a lot on cable teevee the past week

It sounds like an absolute nightmare, the worst of both worlds

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    "NoMamesBuey"? C'mon, Guzzo. You have enough aliases as it is.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Nas/Black Thought/Jay-Z/Talib Kweli

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I like the scientific approach to evaluating rap, that starts with sifting rappers into skill levels A through D, and assigning corresponding grades to the "beats"...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    So you would say Killa Season has B rhymes and C beats?

Just want to make sure I've got this system down.

I sense you may not be ready for this science--you are already forgetting the third dimension: the unique and excellent subject matter that is irritable bowel syndrome.

"NoMamesBuey"? C'mon, Guzzo. You have enough aliases as it is.

good call. this rambling paragraph gives it away:

After listening to that Shinoda versed I mentioned, if you don???t feel me on this, we can agree to disagree. But I will have to conclude that you???re a horrible rap critic. In other words, my amateur rap 5-minute opinion ETHERS your ???professional??? rap critic job ???skills???

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

I like the scientific approach to evaluating rap, that starts with sifting rappers into skill levels A through D, and assigning corresponding grades to the "beats"...

Actually, grades are magically bestowed upon emcees by Hiphopsite.com's editorial staff at the end of each calendar year, to correspond with the release of Skillz' "Year-End Wrapup" anthem. Grade letters may only be changed depending on an emcee's "developing conscious flavor," future collaborations with Dangermouse, and HHS.com sales slumps.

I sense you may not be ready for this science--you are already forgetting the third dimension: the unique and excellent subject matter that is irritable bowel syndrome.

Shit, you're right. So using this system, that catipults this release over those with A rhymes and A beats, but NO unique & excellent subject matter?

• "NoMamesBuey"? C'mon, Guzzo. You have enough aliases as it is.

I hung up my hiphopsite backpack years ago.

Last review I did for them was done waaaay back.

besides Mike Shinoda/ Linkin Park/ Fort Minor is not on my "unique and excellent" list

Kweli 4 vida!

Actually, grades are magically bestowed upon emcees by Hiphopsite.com's editorial staff at the end of each calendar year, to correspond with the release of Skillz' "Year-End Wrapup" anthem. Grade letters may only be changed depending on an emcee's "developing conscious flavor," future collaborations with Dangermouse, and HHS.com sales slumps.

LOL... what's particularly funny (or sad) about this is that just about every word of it could be true.

Shit, you're right. So using this system, that catipults this release over those with A rhymes and A beats, but NO unique & excellent subject matter?

You're getting it. See also: Lupe Fiasco's "Kick Push" single.

The subject matter of skateboarding alone would have been sufficient to assure "B" status regardless of the quality of the beats and rhymes, but what really brought it to A level was unique and excellent narrative involving a budding romance between the protagonist and a female skateboarder.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

The subject matter of skateboarding alone would have been sufficient to assure "B" status regardless of the quality of the beats and rhymes, but what really brought it to A level was unique and interesting narrative involving a budding romance between the protagonist and a female skateboarder.

This can't be real, Is this really a song? Wow, that is unique and interesting. It should have been called 'heelflip over my heart' though.

The subject matter of skateboarding alone would have been sufficient to assure "B" status regardless of the quality of the beats and rhymes, but what really brought it to A level was unique and interesting narrative involving a budding romance between the protagonist and a female skateboarder.

This can't be real, Is this really a song? Wow, that is unique and interesting. It should have been called 'heelflip over my heart' though.

Yeah, it's real.

Honestly, I like the production and he rides the beat competently enough, but I don't know how anybody--including, or perhaps particularly, people that skate--could listen to the lyrics and not cringe.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Yeah, it's real.

Honestly, I like the production and he rides the beat competently enough, but I don't know how anybody--including, or perhaps particularly, people that skate--could listen to the lyrics and not cringe.

unique and interesting:

cringe worthy: check

• I'm guessing Faux's praise would be more forthcoming if young Mr. Fiasco switched his subject matter to the more real schitt approved world of crack slanging

snowmen seem to have a special place in young regatta's heart

real schitt approved world of crack slanging

is that the same as "grinding"?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I dunno man, Shinoda seems kinda thugged-out to me.

I'm from the Park of Linkin, all around the world pimpin
    From Encino to Tokyo all the emo girls be fiendin
    We getting mad p*ssy it ain't no lie
    But for some reason all Chester can do is cry

(ad lib)
    Take those glasses off and man up n*gga
    You know we all caked up, on tour, getting the ladies 24-7
    what the fuck you still whining for dog?
    You lose your backpack or something (laughs)
    It's like a motherfucking sob story on stage and shit
    Youse a Poindexter-looking motherf*cker

(throws down mic)

- from unreleased Mike Shinoda "CHESTER BENNINGTON IS A BITCH" mixtape

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "kick push" is horrible. The beat is drab as fuck and the delivery...

tepid at best.

That is all.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm feeling "ether" as a verb, though.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts

Ron Browz manager: You know my man produced "Ether" right?
    Me: It's tattooed on his neck.

tepid at best.

That is all.

Perhaps you would like it better if it was a tale of adolescent romance fueled by a common interest in crack-slanging?

Ron Browz manager: You know my man produced "Ether" right?
    Me: It's tattooed on his neck.

"I-P-R-O-D-U-C-E-D-E-T-H-E-R": 14-letter "choker" style tattoo?

[Jansport showing] I find myself kind of liking "Kick, Push"... [/Jansport]

But how much hotter would it have been if it was a tale of adolescent romance fueled by a desire to open competing adjacent record stores?

But how much hotter would it have been if it was a tale of adolescent romance fueled by a desire to open competing adjacent record stores?

Unique & Excellent!

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

I'm from the Park of Linkin, all around the world pimpin
    From Encino to Tokyo all the emo girls be fiendin
    We getting mad p*ssy it ain't no lie
    But for some reason all Chester can do is cry

(ad lib)
    Take those glasses off and man up n*gga
    You know we all caked up, on tour, getting the ladies 24-7
    what the fuck you still whining for dog?
    You lose your backpack or something (laughs)
    It's like a motherfucking sob story on stage and shit
    Youse a Poindexter-looking motherf*cker

(throws down mic)

- from unreleased Mike Shinoda "CHESTER BENNINGTON IS A BITCH" mixtape

wow, what a tool! can suburnban losers please stop pretending they are black and from the inner city. its such a bad look.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

tepid at best.

That is all.

Perhaps you would like it better if it was a tale of adolescent romance fueled by a common interest in crack-slanging?

Nothing can save this song.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    stop pretending they are black and from the inner city. its such a bad look.

Denny "Blazin" Hazen couldn't have said it better himself.

Any white rapper out there claims to be from the streets of urban areas. I'm not trying to be anything that I'm not. I'm just a middle class guy, trying to express myself.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts