How to Pirate a Vinyl Record

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    This is actually the original method for pirating records. It was used by 78 "labels" that were unable to generate their own masters when recording technology was still very inaccessible.

It did not work very well then, but did in fact create a playable product with very poor sound.

This will likely be less successful.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    From American Record Labels and Companies by Allan Sutton and Kurt Nauck, about The Continental Record Company and its proprietor, Winant Van Zant Pearce Bradley:
    "Bradley obtained commercial pressings of Victor and Fonotipia recordings by Enrico Caruso and other celebrities and had them electroplated to produce stampers from which the original catalog numbers were effaced. The resulting masters were then used to press Continental discs at an undisclosed foreign location for export back to the United States, where they were sold at approximately half the price of the original issues."

The process described here is more sophisticated, but fundamentally the same.

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
    I saw a very similar technique in MAKE magazine a while back, with more specifics pertaining to certain brands/durometers of silicone and the plastics used to cast the form. Apparently, with the right combo (according to their experimentation) you got a copy with good fidelity and supposed lasting qualities. I believe the aricle was "old scholl file sharing" or something along those lines. They pressed up a 45, which to me, makes more sense (higher speed = higher fidelity ? correct?)
    A friend of mine(non-record geek) hipped me to it, butt we have yet to try it. Well executed, it sound like a good way to cut up some raers or something you can only get on styrene. I'll let y'all know how it turns out if we ever get around to it.

• deladela 7 Posts
    I saw a very similar technique in MAKE magazine a while back, with more specifics pertaining to certain brands/durometers of silicone and the plastics used to cast the form. Apparently, with the right combo (according to their experimentation) you got a copy with good fidelity and supposed lasting qualities. I believe the aricle was "old scholl file sharing" or something along those lines. They pressed up a 45, which to me, makes more sense (higher speed = higher fidelity ? correct?)
    A friend of mine(non-record geek) hipped me to it, butt we have yet to try it. Well executed, it sound like a good way to cut up some raers or something you can only get on styrene. I'll let y'all know how it turns out if we ever get around to it.

sounds good.. if you still have that copy of the magazine could you let us know what brands they recommand ?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

If your wanting raers,styrenes or your own ish "repressed" for cutting/DJing a couple of my friends are setting up a business at the moment doing one off vinyl pressings, similar to a dub plate/acetate except on vinyl.I don't have the specific details at hand but I think you will get 2 tracks per side on a 12" for approx ??30 with little or no sound degredation with repeated plays.
    Once they get running I'll let people know, if anyone is interested ???

[quote
    sounds good.. if you still have that copy of the magazine could you let us know what brands they recommand ?
    I never had the paper copy but you can view it online, google make magazine

If your wanting raers,styrenes or your own ish "repressed" for cutting/DJing a couple of my friends are setting up a business at the moment doing one off vinyl pressings, similar to a dub plate/acetate except on vinyl.I don't have the specific details at hand but I think you will get 2 tracks per side on a 12" for approx ??30 with little or no sound degredation with repeated plays.
    Once they get running I'll let people know, if anyone is interested ???

Theres a cat outta germany on ebay that does this for around 30 USD? anyone tried it?

There is also a guy in LA that does vinyl dubs in 7", 10" and 12" format, 33/45 for 30-40ish dollars.. Friends of mine have had very good results w/ him.