The American Inventor (on ABC)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
This is one of the few reality shows i've been catching this season. and a GREAT one at that! always making me tearful. who did you vote for in the finale???i placed votes for these two: not since "The Contender" have I seen a reality show this emotional. too bad they moved that shit to ESPN.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I am real cool with the final four contestants being minority males, the other two being:

and

It has been a pretty good show.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    As someone who doesn't watch TV, i caught an early episode of this show and got emotional as hell when the cat brought in his educational game. Dude crying brought it out in me. VERY emotional. Glad to see he is in the final 4, but unfortunately I'm almost sure they won't let him win. Very devoted guy, and I do wish him success.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Good kid, idea is kind of weak, how popular will a bike that has a second seat for handle bar riders?? Be honest with yourself about this. Proactiv will be the key to future success.

Amazing idea, and any time you're talking about saving the lives of babies, big things are gonna happen because people will be paying attention. Thought it was interesting how he picked the "non-middle America" baby and mom to star in his commercial. My predicted runner-up.

Solid invention to help kids catch footballs properly, but this will have the lowest impact on people compared to the other ideas. Gotta big-up a Detroit native, but he won't win.

His Word Ace game has the potential to have the greatest impact on the greatest number of people. The game also deals with literacy, which is a huge concern for people in the U.S. and around the world. Adding a Spanish option was a stroke of genius. He will win this competition.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Question is, Drewn, have you ever invented anything? Because if not, I'm afraid Yuichi might not take your opinion seriously.

Inventing has complexities that are difficult to understand if you haven't done it yourself!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    From an outsider perspective (European in the house) this show looks like a PR stunt from the White House to enforce patriotism. Nothing wrong with that but hearing the words the American spirit over and over gets way cheesy.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    From an outsider perspective (European in the house) this show looks like a PR stunt from the White House to enforce patriotism. Nothing wrong with that but hearing the words the American spirit over and over gets way cheesy.

i'm with you. it's very much like the extreme makeover home show with the schmaltzy heavy handed 'family values' message. both are on abc - are they the same producers? plus, i saw schwarzenegger on one of those home episodes during a time when he was most unpopular in california. yet the show depicted him as an ideal hero and strong leader

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I saw a little bit of it last night and I almost gagged. Some young kid invented something and this red-head lady went on for about 5 minutes gushing about how that dude is the AMERICAN DREAM! and "a vote for him is a vote for the future of this country" and all this other stuff that was so sweet I caught temporary diabetes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Question is, Drewn, have you ever invented anything? Because if not, I'm afraid Yuichi might not take your opinion seriously.

Inventing has complexities that are difficult to understand if you haven't done it yourself!

Yeah, no offense Drew, but there are all kinds of subtleties here that you, as a non-inventor, probably aren't even aware of.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    word, INVENTORS ONLY IN THIS THREAD!

yea the dude with "Word Ace" is gonna do pretty well. It's an engaging game.

Saving lives is a big deal though...

as far as presentations though, Fransisco moved me the most. Hey if Razors can take off, I think this one has potential too. It looks like fun.

can't front on the dude with the football training gear either...niche market, but a really good product.

i say just split it four ways, and let each take 250k.

I saw a little bit of it last night and I almost gagged. Some young kid invented something and this red-head lady went on for about 5 minutes gushing about how that dude is the AMERICAN DREAM! and "a vote for him is a vote for the future of this country" and all this other stuff that was so sweet I caught temporary diabetes.

i almost did too, the first couple episodes, but then, i really really started liking it....

i'm with you. it's very much like the extreme makeover home show with the schmaltzy heavy handed 'family values' message. both are on abc - are they the same producers? plus, i saw schwarzenegger on one of those home episodes during a time when he was most unpopular in california. yet the show depicted him as an ideal hero and strong leader

can yall just enjoy something for what it is for once?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

as far as presentations though, Fransisco moved me the most. Hey if Razors can take off, I think this one has potential too. It looks like fun.

can't front on the dude with the football training gear either...niche market, but a really good product.

It's gotta be Word Ace or the car seat. I'd vote for the latter.

The Catch Vest? Yes, it's very original, not just a tweak on something that already exists, but to say that it's for a niche market is being generous. Very generous.

That bike? GTFOOH! And the commercial was terrible.

But I feel really bad for the Catch Vest and Word Ace dudes. Erik is filing for bankruptcy and might lose his home? But in the end, helping a kid catch a football is nothing compared to saving babies.

I see that Simon Cowell is an executive producer on this show. I wonder if, like on American Idol, the runner-up inventors might get a chance to have their products mass produced? Also, is it like Idol in that all rights are reserved by the show (meaning that Paris Bennett can't put out a record on her own right now)?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

i am VERY excited about this seasons so you think i can dance? that dude that does the faceplant, i would like to see that as a avatar or graemlin or something

It's gotta be Word Ace or the car seat. I'd vote for the latter.

The Catch Vest? Yes, it's very original, not just a tweak on something that already exists, but to say that it's for a niche market is being generous. Very generous.

That bike? GTFOOH! And the commercial was terrible.

But I feel really bad for the Catch Vest and Word Ace dudes. Erik is filing for bankruptcy and might lose his home? But in the end, helping a kid catch a football is nothing compared to saving babies.

I see that Simon Cowell is an executive producer on this show. I wonder if, like on American Idol, the runner-up inventors might get a chance to have their products mass produced? Also, is it like Idol in that all rights are reserved by the show (meaning that Paris Bennett can't put out a record on her own right now)?

yea, it's a hard decision because you have to weigh the actual invention, and their financial stability too. Not at all surprised that Simon Cowell is excecutive producer. it did have that American Idol feeling in the finale. yea, i hope they get to mass-produce the runner-up's product too. no idea, as to the rights.

i am VERY excited about this seasons so you think i can dance? that dude that does the faceplant, i would like to see that as a avatar or graemlin or something

haha. never heard it before.