:nagl: Power 105 Related

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Power 105 DJ fired after sex threat vs. rival's kidBY GREG WILSONDAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAUA popular radio personality was fired yesterday after making a series of shockingly ugly, racist and violent on-air remarks - including a threat to sexually molest the young daughter of a rival deejay.The comments by Troi Torain - better known to his listeners on top-rated hip-hop station Power 105 (WWPR-FM) as DJ Star - were so over the top that he could be in hot water with the FCC and the Manhattan district attorney's office.Torain offered listeners $500 to tell him where the daughter of nemesis DJ Envy, of Hot 97, went to school."Yes, I disrespect your seed," Torain ranted. "If you didn't hear me, I said I would like to do an R. Kelly on your seed. On your little baby girl."Torain, 42, described in graphic detail what he meant by the reference to the R&B singer Kelly, who allegedly committed an unnatural act on an underage girl, a stunt captured on a widely circulated video.Torain, who warned in his diatribe that he carries a gun, also called the wife of DJ Envy, whose real name is Rashawn Casey, a "whore," a "lo mein eater" and far worse anti-Asian slurs.Casey could not be reached for comment. But his wife, Gia Casey, who appeared at a news conference with several City Council members yesterday, said she's now afraid that her kids could fall prey, if not to Torain, then to a crazed listener."I want his job to be yanked from him, and I want Clear Channel to have to be responsible on some level for allowing this to happen," she said. "Because not only have they condoned it, but by condoning it they have promoted it."Yesterday afternoon, the station suspended him. Hours later, they fired him."Power 105 finds recent remarks broadcast by Troi Torain of the Star & Buc Wild Morning Show to be wholly unacceptable," said Rob Williams, marketing manager for Clear Channel. "As of late this afternoon, he is no longer with Power 105.1 or Clear Channel Radio. We sincerely apologize to those who may have been offended by his remarks."Queens Councilman John Liu, who at one point yesterday said Torain's words merited his being "terminated from the face of the Earth," filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission.The FCC did not return calls for comment, but Liu said he was told by FCC investigators that it appears Torain's comments could affect his station's broadcasting license.The Manhattan district attorney's office is planning to see if Torain's rants amounted to a crime, said spokeswoman Barbara Thompson.Casey has been accused of crossing the line himself. He was part of Hot 97's "Miss Jones in the Morning" crew that was suspended last year after they broadcast a shocking parody ridiculing the 187,000 victims of the 2004 Tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Their producer, Rick Delgado, was fired, and the station lost millions of dollars in advertising revenue.Rondell Conway, associate music editor for Vibe magazine, said Torain's comments are shock radio theater gone amok."He is trying to fill the void left by Howard Stern," Conway said. "He wants to show that he'll say anything, no matter how outrageous."Originally published on May 11, 2006

Comments

• "Yes, I disrespect your seed," Torain ranted. "If you didn't hear me, I said I would like to do an R. Kelly on your seed. On your little baby girl."
    this dude is a sick fuck, forget losing his job this dude needs an asswhooping

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    THE ARTICLE ABOUT THIS IN THE POST WAS STRATEGICALLY PLACED NEXT TO AN ARTICLE ABOUT BUSTA RHYMES STAYING SILENT REGARDING HIS BODY GUARDS MURDER. RAP IS GETTING SLAMMED IN THE PRESS AROUND HERE.

Star is a damn fool for saying what he said though. that dude got way too comfortable.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Star is a complete bitch. This is the same guy who was playing sound effects of planes crashing on the air the day after Aaliyah died. He was making jokes about plane crashes. This guy should never be on the radio again.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    THE ARTICLE ABOUT THIS IN THE POST WAS STRATEGICALLY PLACED NEXT TO AN ARTICLE ABOUT BUSTA RHYMES STAYING SILENT REGARDING HIS BODY GUARDS MURDER. RAP IS GETTING SLAMMED IN THE PRESS AROUND HERE.

Star is a damn fool for saying what he said though. that dude got way too comfortable.

The NY Post? That doesn't surprise you does it?

• WOW. Burn this dude at the stake.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

Star is a damn fool for saying what he said.

No doubt, but I've always wanted to hear the radio show as the column in the source used to be funny...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Can't say I'm surprised, and from a layout point of view, it makes sense. When two atheletes are inevitably arrested for beating up their spouses/partners, those articles run side-by-side. These are two music/entertainment stories involving the law- not too big a stretch.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

interesting. one of the few times i listened to the star and buckwild show, he had David Mays on his show, who was coincidentally talking about how BUsta's people hit him over the head with a bottle at some party over negative comments he made (previously on Star's radio show) regarding Busta's refusal to talk about the shooting. It seems real that Busta won't cooperate with the cops, considering his body guard basically died for him. ohh, i think Star is awful too.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am in no way condoning the comments made, but...

Star & Buc Wild was the only good thing 105 had going, and leagues (shit, EONS) better than rival Miss Jones. To all of you who think he needs to be skinned alive, burned, shot, then burned and then shot again.... that show was HILARIOUS, and well done most of the time. I listened almost every day for the last year and most times dude was hella funny and bitingly accurate.

The whole "anti-asian slurs" thing is kind of bullshit because that is the whole premise of the show, the manager is Carlos The Spic, co-hosts are White Trash and Chris The Queer, Star regularly talks about himself as a dago-negro and nobody is really spared from this kind of treatment.

A shame dudes like this can't find that thin line though. Way out of bounds on that, although I can't really say it's worse than the whole Aaliyah thing or the tsunami stunt that Miss Jones pulled.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I am in no way condoning the comments made, but...

Star & Buc Wild was the only good thing 105 had going, and leagues (shit, EONS) better than rival Miss Jones. To all of you who think he needs to be skinned alive, burned, shot, then burned and then shot again.... that show was HILARIOUS, and well done most of the time. I listened almost every day for the last year and most times dude was hella funny and bitingly accurate.

The whole "anti-asian slurs" thing is kind of bullshit because that is the whole premise of the show, the manager is Carlos The Spic, co-hosts are White Trash and Chris The Queer, Star regularly talks about himself as a dago-negro and nobody is really spared from this kind of treatment.

A shame dudes like this can't find that thin line though. Way out of bounds on that, although I can't really say it's worse than the whole Aaliyah thing or the tsunami stunt that Miss Jones pulled.

I would think the stuff he said about the kid is by far the worst. Not that the other shit ain't a great thing to say either.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah that was out of line. The rest is kind of par for the course with morning radio.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "Yes, I disrespect your seed," Torain ranted. "If you didn't hear me, I said I would like to do an R. Kelly on your seed. On your little baby girl."

Envy should fuck that dude UP. For real.

Entertainment or not, there's some lines you just do not cross.