Burning Spear

JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Living Legend, go see him when he comes through your town. He played here in Detroit last night and the show was incredible. + the Burning Band's lead guitar player looks like Kool Herc. Leather Vest!!!!

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah i should've gone to this.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• Options
    This rocker dude I knwe in Scarborough had shag carpet that looked exatly like that.

Trans Am, smoked hash oil, had a high cackle...the whole nine.

K.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This rocker dude I knwe in Scarborough had shag carpet that looked exatly like that.

AYO

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just missed him here about two weeks ago. damnit.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Living Legend, go see him when he comes through your town. He played here in Detroit last night and the show was incredible. + the Burning Band's lead guitar player looks like Kool Herc. Leather Vest!!!!

Im confused, maybe its not the same group i'm thinking of, but just to clarify....

Is this the roots reggae group your speaking of??

Burning Spear is not a HIM its a THEM

The lead singers name is Winston and he is a racist F*k

The band as a whole is awesome. I've seen them perform many many times

Dry and Heavy and Mek We Dwet, Mystress Music are all dope albums

Winston played himself in the 'Rockers' movie..he was very young. Dope movie. Dope sound track

I'm a big fan of Roots Reggae...if this is not what you are discussing..my apologies.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    In Europe seemed like everyone refered to it as a them but it's a him (Winston aka Burning Spear)

Chant Down Babylon and all that.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Burning Spear is one man his name is Winston Rodney. The band you are refering to is the Black Disciples (Robbie Shakespeare, Aston Barrett, Earl "Chinna" Smith, Tony Chin, Leroy Wallace). The band that backs him now is the Burning Band and I have no idea who's in it.

as far as him being a racist, ????? I have no clue, please expand on that one.

My bad, that seems strange to me though.

I suppose his band members have changed a few times over the years huh? Yeah I never referred to Him as Him...I guess seeing Him with a huge band always made me assume they were a they. Oh well. Still great music either way...dudes gotta be pushing 70 now?

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Still great music either way...dudes gotta be pushing 70 now?

That's what I said. "Knock on wood" you don't know how many more times you'll get to see him. + it's always weird to see an artists who's music that you're into is 30+ years old. But as far as Reggae goes these doods never stop as well as the hits they had.

it's always weird to see an artists who's music that you're into is 30+ years old.

huh?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I suppose his band members have changed a few times over the years huh?

Backing band aside, "Burning Spear" has at times consisted of a vocal trio in which Winston Rodney sang lead, but the other vocalists have proved interchangable/disposable. Some of the guys that have provided backing vocals to Rodney have made worthwhile recordings of their own.

Still great music either way...dudes gotta be pushing 70 now?

as far as Reggae goes these doods never stop

On the real. Im suprised they are still going strong still. The time I spent going to Reggae shows and fesitvals was in the early to mid-90's. Culture, Is. Vibe. Bunny, Toots, Burning Spear, Eek all of them toured heaviy back then and alot of them still do. Toots comes to town at least once a year. Israel Vibration is one of my favorite live acts. I even had the pleasure of meeting Desmond Dekker in 95' sweetest most humble dude I ever met!

As far as Winson being racist...just involves a personal story about a white dreaded friend at a show in Santa Cruz many years ago.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    it's always weird to see an artists who's music that you're into is 30+ years old.

huh?

Just refering to the fact that most of the Burning Spear tunes I know are old, but it's not like Burning Spear ever stopped playing those tunes so it's still good to see live. Where as in other situations you may be seeing an act that "got back together" to play old tunes, which usually seems quit lame.

huh?

Just refering to the fact that most of the Burning Spear tunes I know are old, but it's not like Burning Spear ever stopped playing those tunes so it's still good to see live. Where as in other situations you may be seeing an act that "got back together" to play old tunes, which usually seems quit lame.

oh i read that as it's weird to see an artist that's 30+ years old and I was thinking WTF do you usually listen to???

• Options

I suppose his band members have changed a few times over the years huh? Yeah I never referred to Him as Him...I guess seeing Him with a huge band always made me assume they were a they. Oh well. Still great music either way...dudes gotta be pushing 70 now?

His band members have changed depending on who he worked for. Studio 1 to JAck Ruby etc.

Burning Spear

K in Canada.