Talk About Records You Bastards!

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
See above comment. I'll start. Anybody think about the people we come across and buy records from? I'm realizing more and more every day that they, in their heyday, were quite often "counter culture" (dude's likkle sound system, crazy ass bastards I meet through this game). Ever wonder, would i be considered "veird" because of my record collection BITD? Passing thought, add on batches. Too much politics. Like PS Do yourself a favor and read Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's letter to Bush. It is very interesting.

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I'm mostly buying from dudes that were dj's in the eighties (no raers) - quote: "at 6AM the promotor would bring in 5 strippers and close the doors till noon, the rest is history"

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    See above comment. I'll start. Anybody think about the people we come across and buy records from? I'm realizing more and more every day that they, in their heyday, were quite often "counter culture" (dude's likkle sound system, crazy ass bastards I meet through this game). Ever wonder, would i be considered "veird" because of my record collection BITD? Passing thought, add on batches. Too much politics.

PS Do yourself a favor and read Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's letter to Bush. It is very interesting.

It's not always the record collecting that's considered "weird." Often it's often their hygiene.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I went to an antique fair recently. I think that hygiene decreases as any sort of collecting increases across the board for certain people. For some people, it's fun, brings in revenue, they like music. Then there are the "sickos" who collect to collect.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ever wonder, would i be considered "veird" because of my record collection

yes - people most definitely think you're weird because you collect records.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Ever wonder, would i be considered "veird" because of my record collection

yes - people most definitely think you're weird because you collect records.

i was in (business) class last night and we got to talking about music... i held a captive audience of stunned listeners who could not believe that i collected "old records". the looks on their little faces was priceless. (could have a nice lead on a collection though...)

We are definatly weird.

fly that freak flag yatches!

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I know what you're gettin' at regarding the record dealer once being counter-culture etc. and not just a freak. The old guy I buy from is intense, really intense. Once, after repeatedly finding the same hidden stash in the stacks (a bunch of bad rap LP's most likely hidden by some kid) I took them to the owner to re-shelf, the old guy lost it in front of everyone and started screaming about these "FU--ING CU-T KIDS", this went on for about five minutes and the place was packed. Anyway, then there are the days when he'll wax-poetic about Roy Ayers or Coke Escovedo.

tjames

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Sorry, I couldn't be arsed to read this whole thread but as I was skimming I read something about bad hygiene. It's great for hittin' the crates. If you smell bad enough, other chumps will stay away while you enjoy the whole section to yourself.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    Sorry, I couldn't be arsed to read this whole thread but as I was skimming I read something about bad hygiene. It's great for hittin' the crates. If you smell bad enough, other chumps will stay away while you enjoy the whole section to yourself.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

We are definatly weird.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Record talk!!! Which I hardly ever do.

So, a couple of weeks back I walked into a good friends new shop. It wasn't done yet, but I really fell in love with the feel of the place. It just had those good vibes (If you know what I mean). No records on the walls or in the bins yet. And 95% of the records we're still being stored. But there was one expedia in one of the back rooms that had some records in it. So, being curious I grabbed a hand full and nearly dropped a load in my pants. There are tons of stories, but I'll save for another day I think and just show what blew my mind in the first 5 mins of walking in.

I walked in and it looked like this:

I grabbed one handfull and it looked like this:

Oh, I came across 2 more S.O.U.L. LPs while trying to get to the bathroom. Can anyone tell me anything more about that Ecstasy Fantasy & Dreamland?? I've seen it a couple of times on CD. I'm thinking I should maybe go back and pick it up, since the record is probably a lil outta my price range.

goodness gracious me.

or as my lovely grandma would say " holy fucknuts!"

i take it you will be patronising this store on the regular?

• Options
    I wonder where he got those records??? Hot Chocolate=Cleveland. Lou ragland=cleveland...

K.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

i don't know, the store looks pretty nice to me.

I wonder where he got those records??? Hot Chocolate=Cleveland. Lou ragland=cleveland...

K.

Texas?

HA...

I'm sure a few people know... But it was pretty serious anyways. I can't hate.

i don't know, the store looks pretty nice to me.

I got some more pics, I'll post l8r of the actual shop. It's pretty nice. Tons of room. Maybe even too much...

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    See above comment. I'll start. Anybody think about the people we come across and buy records from? I'm realizing more and more every day that they, in their heyday, were quite often "counter culture" (dude's likkle sound system, crazy ass bastards I meet through this game). Ever wonder, would i be considered "veird" because of my record collection BITD? Passing thought, add on batches. Too much politics.

PS Do yourself a favor and read Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's letter to Bush. It is very interesting.

It's not always the record collecting that's considered "weird." Often it's often their hygiene.

Ever wonder if those dood's where a little younger, they might be posting here? Also, ever wonder you might be creeping down the same path? Dood's that have wives might be getting divorced, might get fat, might only wear sweats with a hole in the ass, and might have somebody coming over to buy records outta their nasty Buffalo Bill style basement.

Ever wonder if those dood's where a little younger, they might be posting here? Also, ever wonder you might be creeping down the same path? Dood's that have wives might be getting divorced, might get fat, might only wear sweats with a hole in the ass, and might have somebody coming over to buy records outta their nasty Buffalo Bill style basement.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I wonder where he got those records.

90 Degrees Inclusive + Afro-Latin Soul =

Not to blow up the spot or anything... Aki (sp?) = good peoples.

I wonder where he got those records.

90 Degrees Inclusive + Afro-Latin Soul =

Not to blow up the spot or anything... Aki (sp?) = good peoples.

Yeah, Aki... I know some people don't like the dude, but the guy has been a really good friend to me in the past few years. Tho, I have hooked him up big time in the past, but he's been that way with me since day one. But then, I've only ever not liked one dude in all my years of the record game. And everybody off the strut I've come in contact with is A++ in my book.

JP,

Going into his new spot is what I felt like ur shop would feel like from the pics you posted. I'll be sure to pass by when I'm next in NYC. Where abouts is ur place?