Why DJs get no Respect from Musicians.

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Locally I'm starting to notice this, and I just saw this being discussed on Harmony Central. Topic: "Why do you guys HATE DJs so much???" I only posted it cuz I noticed that when I post a new thread it would GO OFF SUBJECT and start to get negative in how the concept of djing is bullshit! I probably shouldn't have started it cuz it seems I got alot of people angry. For that I apologize!!!But, if any DJs out there have an opinion on this I can sure use your help???"This is what I had to say about it:To me a part of being a DJ is to respect the artist and the craft. I can show you alot of DJ's who will agree with me in this. The act of Collecting records will inherintly reveal alot about music as a whole. It's existence, and it's necessity. Truly knowing alot about many different forms of music will expand your acceptance and tastes of music. It also reflects how short lived the careers are of most musicians. To me a part of being a Guitarist is having alot of Ego. It is something most guitarist feel once they feel theyre ability level is above someone elses. Just like an Athlete, or dancer. Why guitarists are so disrespectful towards other musicians, is because of ego. A guitarist feels they're more worthy of respect then a keyboard player, because keyboards are probably an easier to understand instrument. The fact that guitar players are not only understanding but also CREATING and expanding the musical landscape. As long as they stay ignorant to the process of expressing themselves with other instruments. This ignorance gives guitarists power, and respect. So, it is easy to understand why modern guitar driven music doesn't expand. It is easy to understand why DJ's are becoming more and more popular. It is easy to understand why a DJ will respect a guitar player, but a Guitar player will never respect a DJ. The guitarist will only feel that the DJ will never CREATE, but can only re-create.- spidey*Chopped in half.

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    is this post a joke? it can't be for real.

if this is a joke then its

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Why would it be a joke? It's just some copy paste from what I posted to the other forum.

- spidey

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is this post a joke? it can't be for real.

if this is a joke then its
    HI NOAH!

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    what's up mr. delay, how's life on the east coast? might be down that way come aug. any plans for another tour?

Hm, I thought you guys would be a bit more open to talk about something like this.

- spidey

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hey Delay -I don't know you but something funny happened. I'm working on a project that involves filmmaker Tom Daly and I named the file Tom Delay instead. I didn't really want to explain "who is Tom Delay" so I said it was a typo.

great story eh?

ha.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Hm, I thought you guys would be a bit more open to talk about something like this.

- spidey

as someone who plays guitar and DJ's, i find that explanation a little silly...

Okay, care to elaborate?

- spidey

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    b/c in my experience DJ's have bigger egos than guitar players!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    In my experience, most working musicians hate DJ's because they are under the assumption that DJ's take away gigs from them or that they have to somehow compete with them for gigs.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    I just don't see this debate being very relevant. Is there a reason a DJ should be looking for respect from the dwindling number of guitarists that feel DJing is not legitimate? If they don't respect it, so what? I would, however, venture that a good percentage of guitarists (under the age of 35 at least) have no such quams with DJs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Wrong one, this isn't the "CAPRI" thread.

plaese to report to the CAPRI thread.

Show some respect, Young Phonics.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Well it can go both ways to me, yeah dj's take gigs away from musicians etc... But to me there are diffrent type of DJ's and you know... But for the most part DJ's that don't dig are WACK as for DJ's that got skills and don't Dig "I wish I had your natrual talent, but I still think your wack and I only can give you a little respect as a DJ! As for the DJ's that dig and got skill well that to me is a TRUE DJ! And yall get mad DAP!!! But who am I to say that's just my opinion and I wish I did have skill and yes I did put in MAD work but God didn't give me that special talent but he gave me heart!

But what about the DJ's that got no skill and dig? Well there not a DJ they Record Collectors! Like me... & even then I have issues...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

- spidey

as someone who plays guitar and DJ's, i find that explanation a little silly...
    Does this mean that if you play guitar & DJ you don't respect yourself

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Pretty much. You would think people would feel self conscious about jocking dude.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"Not now mom!"

"Not now mom!"

"You're not even my real mom--I don't have to listen to crink's mom!"

"Not now mom!"

This is how I kinda pictured Young_Rillz as a flipant teenager in the A.T.L. Bud Bundy with a sour-puss.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    A guitarist feels they're more worthy of respect then a keyboard player, because keyboards are probably an easier to understand instrument

really ?
    as a (bad) guitar player, i always thought keyboards were way harder to play than guitar ...

I was being facetious when I said "probably."

- spidey

Alright, I can agree with you there.

- spidey

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    guitars are so fucking over.

believe it or not, for every shitty "DJ" there are 10 shitty "bands" so yeah, most small venues can make more money off a DJ.

somehow I can't stop laughing about teeny hipsters reworking those same tired ass three chords and getting up in some DJ's nuts because he's taking "gigs"

• no musician = no dicsjock

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

Show some respect, Young Phonics.

who is that cakelord?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    who is that cakelord?

Paul Oakenfold