foggy headed Ponderosa Stomp report

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
wow! so far so good! First off, the kickoff soul party was unbelievable! we got about 300 folks in the door(funking awesome for a sunday night) and I cant think of a party more world class soul being played...folks like Mr. Finewine, Tony Janda, High-C, Agent 45, soulmarcosa, Chase one from Memphix, and my little ol self playing the best tunes to dance and tie one on to. strutters like Pickwick 33 and Funky mcStay were in the house. Seriously, I cant think of a night in the world that had as many quality tunes going for 6 hours straight...We had a nice phone call also..."would it be possible to put Mr. Hubert Sumlin on the guest list?" Well, yes, it would be our pleasure...Then after only 2 hours of sleep, I manned a table at the record show. It was a small show, but it was quality...things like Strata raers, oneness of ju ju, dumb rare early RnB, 4 dollar copies of "Hey Joyce" and other gems all over the place. Plus I made some good scratch. Roy Head, for some reason, walked in the record show and yelled at me for some reason, and then walked away..strange dude.Then after the record show the festivites began...The first day was killing it with performances from the Hi-Rythmn section backing Percy Wiggins(man, what a voice), Wille Cobbs and a killer performance from Syl Johnson. In the other room Harvey Scales killed it, unfortunately the scheduling had Dennis Coffey playing on another stage at the same time...I only saw a couple minutes of him, but from the reports i got it was raw like "hair and thangs"...man. the Archie "If you see any Drells, youre drunk" Bell played. The horn section was rusty, but he tore it up. Then after Willie T, Eddie Bo took the stage...among other tunes, he brought out "Check your bucket" and "hook and sling". At this point I had been up for something like 18 hours drinking, so I dont have a good recollection of the rest of the night.Last night was rockabilly themed so I took off after DJing and seeing Lady Bo...perhaps someone else has a report...tonight, there is more soul with Barbara Lynn playing...cant wait!!!More reports and perhaps pictures(someone have any pics to post?) to follow...

Comments

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Lots of RAB last night, yes....but WILLIAM BELL destroyed the place. During "You Don't Miss Your Water" the room fell completely silent, every person focused on William and Lil' Buck & the Top Cats backing him. Easily the highlight of the event for me so far.

As for the rest of last night, Hayden Thompson, The Fabulous Wailers and Travis Wammack's solo set were all great. "Scratchy" was bittersweet. Wammack brought out his original bass player, who said he hadn't played bass with a pick in 30 years, and it showed....

Echoing Er*c's thoughts though, Syl Johnson and Harvey Scales were both in great form on Monday night. The only reason the horns were off during Archie Bell's set was because there were a couple (few?) players up there who weren't part of the regular Top Cats line-up and I don't think they had rehearsed at all - they just weren't ready for the Tighten Up.

Tonight's schedule... http://www.knights-maumau.com/night3.pdf

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    + Soulstrutters from Memphis, NYC, ATL, NC, Chicago, TX
    + Syl Johnson
    + Eddie Bo
    + Archie Bell
    + Harvey Scales
    + Roy Head
    + Hi Rhythm Section
    + Partying until 6am
    + River Records
    + Pho Sai Gon
    + Crazy dancing girls
    + John the Big White Cat

= UNFUCKWITHABLE

Anyone who didn't show up in Memphis for this party is a punk.

Big props to Er*c & Andr*w for making my first trip to Memphis amazing.

ILL BE BACK!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    + Soulstrutters from Memphis, NYC, ATL, NC, Chicago, TX
    + Syl Johnson
    + Eddie Bo
    + Archie Bell
    + Harvey Scales
    + Roy Head
    + Hi Rhythm Section
    + Partying until 6am
    + River Records
    + Pho Sai Gon
    + Crazy dancing girls
    + John the Big White Cat

= UNFUCKWITHABLE

Big props to Er*c & Andr*w for making my first trip to Memphis amazing.

ILL BE BACK!!!

Anytime dood! Thanks for coming out, hanging out, and playing out...was a lot of fun.

Still trying to digest the fact that all these people..Soulstrutters and Raer Legends alike were all in the same building...good fuggin times.

I am tired, really tired this Thursday AM...but was it ever worth it!

I have a few pics of Barbara Lynn and Bobby Patterson(glad I endured Filmore Slim's set, Bobby Patterson was worth the wait and torture) that I will post later...I know there are some folks who took pics Sunday and Monday night night..will try and track those folks down.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

new orleans was busy wondering why ira decided to do this in memphis on the three weekdays directly after jazzfest. it truly made no sense and the buzz was negative in the city.

• DeanDean 14 Posts
    As ever - well the twice I've been here - Memphis rocks!
    Great to meet Andrew and Brian. Great to hook up with a bunch of Memphis friends from before like Chad from Memphix.
    William Bell was amazing - as he always is.
    Barbara Lynn last night was even better.
    Eric I think we still haven't met - but there's still time I'm sure.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Okay, here I am back home in Chicago at around 4 in the afternoon...I'm a little too wore out to post a full report (maybe later), but I had me a rockin' good time meeting Hook-Up and Shingaling and enjoying a shitload of classic R&B/rockabilly/garage/soul/blues, as well as eating BBQ, visiting Stax and Sun, and even catching Booker T. & the MG's at a nearby outdoor festival the day before the Stomp started. Nothing but good times.

I have a few pics of Barbara Lynn and Bobby Patterson(glad I endured Filmore Slim's set, Bobby Patterson was worth the wait and torture)

OKAY? I live in a city where it's business as usual to see dull 12-bar shuffle "blooze" bands butchering "Hoochie Coochie Man." I didn't come all the way to Memphis to see Fillmore Slim doing the same thing. Actually he wasn't so bad back in the fifties (early 60's?) - I have his classic "You've Got The Nerve Of A Brass Monkey" on a compilation of Dootone's blues artists - but as of Sunday he wasn't really bringing much to the table (IMO). Bobby Patterson's southern soul and bizarre asides ("why you need 2Pac when 1Pac will get you a hamhock?") were more to the point.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ("why you need 2Pac when 1Pac will get you a hamhock?")

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ("why you need 2Pac when 1Pac will get you a hamhock?")

This was from a bit where he made fun of his son being a huge hip-hop fan, and proceeded to spoof the names of rap acts. There were other examples, but that was the only one I remember (besides, his delivery was so rapid that most of the audience didn't get it right away). There was also another weird spoken word bit that he repeated - something about "when I die, don't bury me deep, just put a bowl of chitlins at my feet, and gimme some biscuits to sop up the gravy & meat" (okay, I'm messing it up, but it was something along those lines). And I thought that guy from Lansky Bros. clothing store (in Memphis) had some twisted sayings...

From my online journal:

Yesterday I got back from a whirlwind solo roadtrip to Memphis so let's rewind.

On Sunday I drove 13 hours to westward, seriously doubting my sanity as I plowed through endless rainstorms with my drivers' sideview mirror held on only with duct tape, no CD player, and only commercial country radio stations and a thankfully lengthy phonecall to Miss Shing-A-Ling to keep me company.

However, all my doubts evaporated as soon as I walked into the Memphis Hi-Tone lounge around 11:00pm. Chad from Memphix was laying down the funk & soul jams, the place was packed with over a hundred people, friends from around the country were in the house, and I soon had one of many free Sierra Nevadas in my hand.

Said friends included Eric "The Hook Up" Hermeyer (TX/Memphis), Andrew "Buck Wilder" McCalla (Memphis), Brian "Agent 45" Poust & gf Mary (ATL), Matt "Mr. Finewine" Weingarten, Chad "High-C" Rehash (Dallas), and "Big" Tony Janta (Chicago). It was a blast catching up with all of them as well as new acquaintances like SmallChange from WFMU. It was even more fun dancing like a complete maniac with all the lovely local Memphis girls like Krissy & Erica who were amazing dance partners. I definitely wore out my shoes before I left the spot.

Oh and I spun some records for the children. Here's what I played during my time on the decks:

Poets of Rhythm: North Carolina (Daptone reissue LP)
    Precisions: Funky People (Pro 45) - NC RELEASE
    Guitar Slim: Mini Boogaloo (Boro 45) - NC RELEASE
    Wess & The Airedales: I'll Never Turn My Back On You (Durium 45)
    Jocy: Dans Les Dix Premiers (45)
    Jenny Rock: Le Train Pour Memphis (Citation 45)
    Stoney & Meatloaf: What You See is What You Get (Rare Earth 45)
    Lotti Golden: Sock It To Me Baby (Atlantic 45 WLP)
    John Woolley & Just Born: You're Lying (Ronnex 45)
    Shocking Blue: Harley-Davidson (45)
    Zsusza Koncz: Visz A Vonat (Qualiton LP)
    Claude & Frank Carbo: Fox in a Miniskirt (Castle 45)
    Fantastic Johnny C: Let's Do It Together (Kama Sutra 45)
    Jo Ann King: Hey Lancelot (Phil L.A. of Soul 45)
    Lifeforce: The Freeze (Smokeout 45)
    Clarence Reid: Master Piece (Alston 45 WLP)
    Lattimore Brown: Yak-A-Poo (Renegade 45)

Luckily all the songs went over smashing with the crowd (with the possible exceptions of the Precisions & Shocking Blue) and one girl even thanked me for "playing some boogaloo." I stumped a few of my fellow DJs with a couple of songs, and there was a respectable bit of trainspotting over a few record labels, so I feel my job was well done.

As for the other DJs, they were all great but my favorite sets were from Agent45 whose trademark killer r'n'b style ("I'm not playing a single funk record tonight!") was really hitting it for me, and Big Tony's selections had my jaw dropping with super rare and super drum heavy funk 45s. The party continued well past 3am last call and it wasn't until after 5am that High-C & I finally crashed at Eric's warehouse pad where we slept until 2pm the next afternoon.

Left to our own devices on Monday afternoon, Chad & I drove around downtown Memphis until we stopped at pub/biker bar Westy's where we had the most effeminate (and nicest) waiter ever, but where the service & food left a bit to be desired. Highlights included being told the red beans & rice were vegetarian (they weren't), microwaved paper-wrapped tamales, the waiter's tie-dyed shirt, Chad cutting his lip on his chipped beer bottle, and my waiting over an hour for a "vegan" sandwich that was covered in butter. Though the experience was strangely relaxing, Chad & I declined the waiter's offer to "talk guitars" when we asked for directions to the Gibson Guitar Factory where the Ponderosa Stomp Record Show was in the process of being missed by us.

If I write more, I'll post it. Didn't take any photos though; forgot my camera.

and there were dudes from American Idol wearing the new Jordans watching TV!

Coffey fools

Harvey batches

eddie doods

Buckwheat tricks (this dude worked a Hammond for three days straight, 6 hours a day)....dude is dude

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Pleasure to (finally) meet you too, Dean.

I didn't get in nearly as much record digging as I would have liked, but really enjoyed my first real trip to Memphis. I was in a garage band who had a show at the young st. deli cancelled on us back in 2000 which was the only other time I had been there. Now I'm looking forward to going back!

The highlights of the Stomp were many but I, for one, really missed The Rock N Bowl (which was not an option for reasons which occured pre-Katrina). The Gibson guitar factory is very...professional and seemed a bit too sterile for my tastes, not to mention the lack of real beer. But all in all, it was another highly memorable event which I'm glad to have been there to see.

Harvey Scales, Syl Johnson, Eddie Bo, William Bell (easily my favorite set), Clarence "Frogman" Henry, Hayden Thompson (and here I didn't think I liked rockabilly), Barbara Lynn, Archie Bell...the list goes on.

I regret leaving before Bobby Patterson came out but by that point of the third night of the Stomp, I was feeling the fatigue and *really* not enjoying Fillmore Slim at all.

But I saw old friends, made new ones, ate well, had a BLAST at the soul party on Sunday night (and knowing what Big Tony had in store, I did finish my set with a couple funkier tunes for him) and look forward to the next Stomp.

I'll have some pictures up somewhere soon.

Buckwheat....dude is dude

FUCK YES.

Hammond + Leslie + chops + Al Sharpton process = ONE HELL OF A PERFORMER

I mean really - laying Hammond on top of "Hook & Sling"?

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

Harvey batches

outstanding photo of harvey, that pose is so... him.

agent45: nice the obligitory nathan bartell photo op. whose copy??? who is the "bartell owner"??

wow, this whole event looks like a super fun time, shoulda went!!

my question is this, how does one get the artists to perform the songs that collectors know and love?? any event organizers on this board? anyone here deal with an artist directly in this respect? i may be in this position myself sometime soon and i really need some pointers.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts