Advice for digital recording of DJ Sets/Mix Tapes?

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Who's got advice/recommendations for digital recording software?I'm looking for something to record DJ sets/Mix Tapes from vinyl.A program that will allow me to record/track/add samples etc.Thanks!

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Pretty much all of them. How can anyone help you when you don't even list your specs?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Pretty much all of them. How can anyone help you when you don't even list your specs?
    What do you need to know? I'm a Mac user just looking to find a good recording program, not get berated. My "specs" are what has worked for you? I'm obviously a novice in this department, or I would have included a bunch of technical jargon "I'm looking for a hi-fi blow fly midi compatable technical open source interface with unlimited BTU capacity blah blah blah". If you have some advice great, if you just want to expose me as a new jack to digital recording, mission accomplished.
    So if any one else has some thoughts, I'd love to hear'em...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    What do you need to know?
    I'm a Mac user[/b]

That's what I meant. Can't recommend software without knowing that.

What do you need to know?
    I'm a Mac user[/b]

That's what I meant. Can't recommend software without knowing that.

So where's the help, I thought you were an expert on "Pretty much all of them"....

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    yo cpeetz, no need to get so aggro and defensive, i think you read more into taza's posts than was actually there.

if you have a little money to blow, get an mbox w/ the protools le software. you'll never be limited when it comes to making mixes.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    buy Peak LE for $99 and a decent sound card...and have nice cartridges on the turntable...get a good signal going to (digital) tape...in the yellow but not to close to red. record. listen back. edit. enjoy.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I would recommend Ableton Live and if you need a soundcard cop the audiophile 2496 both of these can be found at the m-audio website.....check em out if you have any more questions shoot em to me....I already have a similliar setup running in my studio.

Ableton Live for recording DJ mixes? why? live is more for sequencing loops and manipulating snippets of audio...not for audio editing of extended mixes no?

One of Ableton Lives best purpose's are DJ sets both live and recorded. That was its original focus you can edit a joint, loop the intro, change up a songs BPM on the fly, etc etc this is for immaculate mega mixes...I started out using only peak...but moved up to Live because it allowed for me to blend joints via computer, loop the break or intro to the next joint, throw in effects. Out side of DJ mixes I use it to re edit, make mash ups, produce etc. If you get a chance take a little further look at Live (man I am street teaming).

i only have the version that comes with pro-tools le...i can definitely see that it will be fun to use but it's taking me a long time to come to grips with learning the software...a steep learning curve...even though it seems really easy when i'm using the demos.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i'd say for this dude, just get the peak software and a good soundcard. no need to jump into live right out the gate. he has stated he is a novice, so get em started small.

but yeah, live is a beast once you learn. CPR, juyst run some of those demos that come with it. that will jumpstart you thru that program in a heartbeat.

Yeah man it wasnt the easiest to learn..what I did was cop a copy of Computer Music magazine at computermusic.co.uk/ they had an edition solely dedicated to Ableton Live covering every facet of the program the tutorial is step by step and comes with a indepth cd also (took hella long to be delivered though)....I also got a book called Albleton Live Power which was written by a Ableton employee. So I bascially went back to school but it was well worth it, once you learn a few things about the program the rest are easy to grasp so I really only needed the Computer Magazine tutorial.

yeah imma have to agree for a novice Peak would be the best place to start...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    peak does'nt multitrack, right? I'd get the mbox and protools.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    good point. yeah, check on ebay, you can probably cop a used mbox on the cheap.

peak LE doesn't multitrack. but it's really good for mixes...you don't need to multitrack, you just re-cut the mixes and paste them together.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

• multitracking sets.....

see thats why I mentioned Ableton Live....or you can just hit record in Peak and run through a whole DJ set and your two turntables are your (2) tracks..I used to go that route if you trainwreck you can always edit it in Peak also but you will have one big 70 min audio file.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

thinking like this will only hold you back.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

I bet you don't like dildo either.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

Hey, I hatt dildo but multitracking is a good idea if you want people to listen to a mix more than once. Make loops and stuff and make it unique. eg: AEIOU.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    handing out mixtapes with fuck ups on it...

you give people mixes to listen to, why would you not want it to sound as good as possible?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

Hey, I hatt dildo but multitracking is a good idea if you want people to listen to a mix more than once. Make loops and stuff and make it unique. eg: AEIOU.

Oh I agree multitracking is .

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    multitracking sets.....

thinking like this will only hold you back.

seriously. im multitracking a mix right now. because i cant mix? never that. i hold my own in the live situation. but i have the tools here in front of me to make this mix better than anything i could ever pull off with just two turntables. its a mixtape. why not?

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    i thought you sold all your records xian?

yo cpeetz, no need to get so aggro and defensive, i think you read more into taza's posts than was actually there.

if you have a little money to blow, get an mbox w/ the protools le software. you'll never be limited when it comes to making mixes. [/quote

Perhaps, I was a bit defensive, but why not just ask Mac or PC instead of "How can anyone help you when you don't even list your specs?". And correct me if I'm wrong but don't most programs support both Mac and PC? All that stuff is beside the main question at hand anyway. Thanks to all who posted their advice...I've got a good idea now of where to start....
    Oh and to you Van Can Kev aka Sipreano the better enemy....
    The answer is no, the vinyl is not all gone, lot's of stuff had to go to make room for more reggae...which has grown by leaps and bounds since the last time hooked up.

well christ(ian) allmighty. wanna buy the rest of mine?
    MBOX/protools is the way to go...
    just did a short mix for sndnst (up on their website in the next few days)...
    lates,
    the better enemy...

well christ(ian) allmighty. wanna buy the rest of mine?
    MBOX/protools is the way to go...
    just did a short mix for sndnst (up on their website in the next few days)...
    lates,
    the better enemy...
    Buy the rest of your reggae?!
    I'd love to, but my pockets is flat not fat...
    It would take a heavy chunk of change to purchase those 7" boxes, right?!
    Are you getting out of the reggae game, to go full force on the canadien psych tip?
    CP

naw. i just dig it all...
    glad to hear yer still doing yer thing...