DEEPEST DARKEST DEADLIEST 45 CLEANING SOLUTIONS?

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
trying to clean off some 45's that i bought on the road over the past two weeks. i've cleaned many a record in my day, but for some reason i can't get deep enough into the grooves with these. No scratches or scuffs just 30+ years of disgusting dust/mold/grime due to storage without sleeves.i generally use 20% denatured alcohol mixed with 80% distilled water. no do.need something that can work magic. a VPI like solution for those who are not VIP.speak!!!

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Elmers glue...

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Elmers glue...

---

Nobody's ever recommended this for LPs, is there a reason? Are they too weak?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Elmers glue...

---

i was hoping i would hear some other magic solution other than elmers glue.
    especially when we're talking about deep cleans for maybe 15 records that need it.

i hate doing that elmers thing. makes me nervous.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    you could try the lgl record cleaner if you ve only few records to clean ...
    it works like a depilatory wax and is pretty efficient

• My Japanese shop owning buddy SWEARS by his big solution filled jewelry cleaning machine. The type that blasts the object with sonic waves and gets into every nook.
    Not unline this:
    Only wide enough for an LP. I think he puts a little clamp over the label, dips in, slowly rotates, then dries with a lint-free-chamios-jamios.

...I wonder if you could take a SoniCare toothbrush to records...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Whoa, my parents own an industrial ultra-sonic cleaner (for doing curtains/blinds) I think I'll take some test records when I go home and see them next.

If it works I'll let you know. You could probably do 20-30 in one hit.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    My Japanese shop owning buddy SWEARS by his big solution filled jewelry cleaning machine. The type that blasts the object with sonic waves and gets into every nook.
    Not unline this:
    Only wide enough for an LP. I think he puts a little clamp over the label, dips in, slowly rotates, then dries with a lint-free-chamios-jamios.

...I wonder if you could take a SoniCare toothbrush to records...

Yeah.... If you can afford the upfront cost it's gotta be
    the best record cleaner around.

I know a few dealers who use ultrasonic dental or jewellery cleaners
    to clean their stock before shelving it.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Elmers glue...

---

Nobody's ever recommended this for LPs, is there a reason? Are they too weak?

Glue on LP's is a lot more cumbersom as the surface is way bigger. Outside of that, it's the same principal as 45's just everything takes longer....

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    ultra-sonic cleaning bath is the best/safest way to get all the dirt/dust off your record! did this with most of my records/45's in the past years, especially with the really bad ones like african stuff or for example the "slippin into darkness" 45 by Dayton Sidewinders which were covered allover with mud and unlistenable. no toxic chemicals needed, only distilled water! one thing: make sure the lables don't touch the liquid. sadly this ultra-sonic baths are often too small for LPs, they're made for cleaning jewelry, false teeth... the big ones are made for the industry and are quite expensive and don't turn-up that often in acceptable condition (over here).

cheers

• bloodcellbloodcell 208 Posts
    yeah i have had problems ruining labels on my 45s from cleaning them, i just became more careful about it, the paper is so old and dry just rubbing them with your fingers will make it start to crumble and roll up.

going to have to look into a small dental cleaner.

i have thought about a home rigged system like this with a simple broomstick handle to immerse them to the right levels.

right now after cleaning i have also been using "groove glide", should i not be doing this?

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

Don't no if anyone has posted this yet? Anyone tried it?

Homemade VPI

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    whoa we have an ultrasonic cleaner at my work! i've never thought of using that! I guess next time I work a Saturday I'll pring in an armful of records.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    ultra-sonic cleaning bath is the best/safest way to get all the dirt/dust off your record! did this with most of my records/45's in the past years, especially with the really bad ones like african stuff or for example the "slippin into darkness" 45 by Dayton Sidewinders which were covered allover with mud and unlistenable. no toxic chemicals needed, only distilled water! one thing: make sure the lables don't touch the liquid. sadly this ultra-sonic baths are often too small for LPs, they're made for cleaning jewelry, false teeth... the big ones are made for the industry and are quite expensive and don't turn-up that often in acceptable condition (over here).

cheers

where do you get ultra-sonic cleaning bath and how much does it run?

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts

where do you get ultra-sonic cleaning bath and how much does it run?

i have one at work aswell. during the breaks i clean my records

but try ebay for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9518449730

no idea where to get a second hand one in the states...

i built a small machine that holds the record (the grooves only!!!) into the water & turns the whole thing very slowly... so i can enjoy my break in the meantime

cheers, r.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    yes elmers glue works and if you take it off correctly (which means slowly) you can play the glue one. it plays backwards but can be real cool.

HOWEVER... it fucks up your vinyl. its like taking a few lives off of the vinyl. i dont agree using this but you can. take a few beaters you dont care about first. layer it with glue. let it sit for no longer than 24hrs.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Here's a link

https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?cid=1341&gid=2371571

Most of the Science Websites have them; Fisher Scientific, VWR, Sigma Aldrich, Spectrum etc...

Yeah we use these at work as well and I've ordered these for the labs many times and even used them for cleaning items but the only problem I see is trying not to Wet the Label alot of these Ultra Sonic cleaners are used for dipping the item in, but I will research this fo sho!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Whoa, I think I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner as well. Someone have some insights on cheap ways to cover up the labels?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Wouldn't the labels be okay if they weren't touched while drying? I've submerged quite a few while cleaning them in a regular sink and as long as the label wasn't touched while wet they seemed to be okay. If you can just submerge the whole thing I think I could do about 10 lps at one time. That would be awesome. As a matter of interest, is the end result really good, or just a little better than before?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Wouldn't the labels be okay if they weren't touched while drying? I've submerged quite a few while cleaning them in a regular sink and as long as the label wasn't touched while wet they seemed to be okay. If you can just submerge the whole thing I think I could do about 10 lps at one time. That would be awesome. As a matter of interest, is the end result really good, or just a little better than before?

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts

or you could just use this...

...and even give your dog a bath if he fits!