Movies that should be on DVD

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
One of my favorite flicks is finally coming to DVD. Safe Men!!So what flicks should be on DVD but aren't (officially).-peeJ

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the original Star Wars trilogy without the new effects

I agree. Sadly, it will never happen.

• the original Star Wars trilogy without the new effects

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    third season of The Wire
    second season of Carnivale

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    OK, so it's not a movie and it already has a release date, but August 1 is not coming soon enough...

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

The Jack Nicholson 70s piece which opens with Jack hosting his talk radio show, anybody remember the name of that?

The King of Marvin Gardens
    it's already on DVD...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R...&v=glance&n=130

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    the "Vinyl" documentary... maybe with some bonus footage of:

• Taking of Pelham 123

Out on DVD already. Got it from Netflix. Saw it last weekend. Great flick!

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    all of the above are weak. especially the TVD requests. you are showing a picture of a dvd box? wtf.

Black Devil Doll From Hell

Deadly and the Beautiful

Tecato: Jesus Saves

Holy Mountain & El Topo (not counting the shite bootlegs)

t.v.

Lottery

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    There's this real dope bboy movie called 'History of a Forgotten Era' that I've seen part of. I want to see a clean copy very much. I'd also like to see a reasonably priced copy, as http://www.dancemaster.com/ asks $98.99 for a VHS copy

Wow...I can't believe he actually caved. But, in talking to LFL folks and noting the packaging and limited for-sale time, it makes sense.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Actually, they are releasing it soon. Lucas had a change of heart... or maybe he wanted to buy a new flight of yachts.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Death Race is on DVD

Walerian Borowczyk - Immoral Tales - with the beauty and the beast sequence
    Robert Altman - Images - original negative was suppossedly destroyed by columbia..doh!
    Robert Altman - California Split - out of print?
    Alain Robbe-Grillet - Eden & After
    Monte Hellman - Cockfighter / Iguana

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    Black Fist

I have the OST, but is the movie any good?

Actually, they are releasing it soon. Lucas had a change of heart... or maybe he wanted to buy a new flight of yachts.

Well, I will say this: Lucas is very good at getting people to buy the same thing several times. The 10th anniversary of the 25th anniversary re-releases is coming up, so look for a special box set of the re-releases to come out.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Well, I will say this: Lucas is very good at getting people to buy the same thing several times. The 10th anniversary of the 25th anniversary re-releases is coming up, so look for a special box set of the re-releases to come out.

You mean the 5th anniversary? I don't think Star Wars came out 35 years ago.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

cosign

THX 1138 also

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Wow. That looks good.

You mean the 5th anniversary? I don't think Star Wars came out 35 years ago.

Remember when the original trilogy was re-released into theaters with "upgrades"--Greedo shooting first, Jabba in Episode IV, different effects for the Death Star explosions, etc.--and whatnot? That was about 10 years ago. So we're approaching the 10th anniversary of the 20th anniversary re-releases, and you can look for LFL to somehow commemorate that with a new special-edition DVD box set.

Oh, now I see what you mean. The re-releases were for the 20th anniversary, not the 25th like I put in my original post. My brick on that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    is this on DVD - wasn't a few months ago when i asked the video store.

my VHS copy is pretty fried and this is such a good-looking film...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    too bad the un-fucked-with Star Wars movies will only be available as "bonus material" in a two-disc package with the fucked-with versions. And they'll probably be crappy transfers, and then in a few years they can be like "hey look we found a better print!" and do it all over again. Also the fact that they're only available for 3 months is BS...fuck George Lucas, I bought the VHS when it was "the last time they'll ever be available in this version again" and he's not getting another dime of my money.

• haen't been able to catch this one, but if its even half as good as "Trick Baby" I NEED to see it

caught this movie on Turner Classic once and fell in love. I need to own a copy

the only Preston Sturges film I've yet to see

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    Stony Island

• Stony Island

I thought this was on DVD?

I know I've seen it at home, perhaps I saw it on VHS

another film from this era I'd like to see on DVD is Jim Kelly's Hot Potato AKA Blackbelt Jones 3

I don't think it's on DVD, I didn't think it ever even made it to VHS.

Are you sure you saw it? I think that it has been aired on T.V., but always ultra-UHF situations and at weird hours.

Although the soundtrack on Glades was issued, I don't think the movie got any major distribution. I spoke with the director, Andy Davis, about it over a year ago and his memory of it was that it never got picked up. He went on to do a bunch of major films, so perhaps it's just a matter of his perspective.

• bootleg perhaps?

I'm fairly sure I've seen it. I doubt I have a copy at home in my box of VHS's buried in my garage but I'll take a look and if I find I'll post a picture

What about Medium Cool?

Was that ever issued on DVD? The movie contains the best footage of the Chicago 1968 riots that exist, and there are many, many hours of footage that wasn't used. A deluxe bonus DVD of this material would be enthralling.

I couldn't find it on Amazon.

bootleg perhaps?

I'm fairly sure I've seen it. I doubt I have a copy at home in my box of VHS's buried in my garage but I'll take a ook and if I find I'll post a picture

That would be dope. With appearances in the movie by Phil Upchurch, Tennyson Stephens, Stevie Robinson and Richie Davis from Maxx Traxx/Third Rail, a score by David Matthews, it's a movie that would be of great interest to this board.

However, it is not truly "blaxploitation" as sellers of the soundtrack often portray it.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    Black Fist

I have the OST, but is the movie any good?

i think the movie destroys the soundtrack actually. soundtrack is just....eh, the movie is totally exceptional for a poorly edited blaxploitation. highlights of the movie includ none other than DABNEY COLEMAN (not soulman) as a crooked cop taking payoffs. there is one scene where he is trying to make it with a 300 lb black prostitute.... shit is bananananas