'Scuse me while I kiss this guy (~ Chubby Checker)

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm listening to Ernest Evans' classic "The Twist" on the work radio station today, and I recall something I've thought before in the past but not brought up here on the Strut:"Did he really just SAY that?"The phrase is, it says here, "Little Miss," but I'm wondering if anyone back in 1960, listening to the AM radio while puttering around in an MG 2-seater, took a hard right (nearly into a pea-gravel ditch) when they first thought they heard Chubby Checker exhort his female companion to "Come on, LITTLE BITCH...do the Twist."Give it a listen for yourself. The "B" sound is clear early, and the "tch" comes out in one of the later iterations.I'm still not fully convinced.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm listening to Ernest Evans' classic "The Twist" on the work radio station today, and I recall something I've thought before in the past but not brought up here on the Strut:

"Did he really just SAY that?"

The phrase is, it says here, "Little Miss," but I'm wondering if anyone back in 1960, listening to the AM radio while puttering around in an MG 2-seater, took a hard right (nearly into a pea-gravel ditch) when they first thought they heard Chubby Checker exhort his female companion to "Come on, LITTLE BITCH...do the Twist."

Give it a listen for yourself. The "B" sound is clear early, and the "tch" comes out in one of the later iterations.

I'm still not fully convinced.

I grew up with that song and I never heard that, and I'm always getting lyrics wrong.

I thought Mick was singing nonsense Gibby Newbee Nobby when he was saying Can't You Hear Me knocking.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'm listening to Ernest Evans' classic "The Twist" on the work radio station today, and I recall something I've thought before in the past but not brought up here on the Strut:

"Did he really just SAY that?"

The phrase is, it says here, "Little Miss," but I'm wondering if anyone back in 1960, listening to the AM radio while puttering around in an MG 2-seater, took a hard right (nearly into a pea-gravel ditch) when they first thought they heard Chubby Checker exhort his female companion to "Come on, LITTLE BITCH...do the Twist."

Give it a listen for yourself. The "B" sound is clear early, and the "tch" comes out in one of the later iterations.

I'm still not fully convinced.
    It's "Miss"?? I've always thought it was "Bitch"

• semi-related

does anyone have MP3's of the early versions of Little Richard's Tutti-fruity ?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    semi-related

Does an early X-rated version exist?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    semi-related

Does an early X-rated version exist?

The old legend, as recalled by Wikipedia here and here:

The original lyrics were supposedly: "A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop, a good goddamn/ Tutti Frutti, loose booty/ If it don't fit, don't force it/ You can grease it, make it easy."

The lyrics were changed from "Tutti-frutti loose booty" to "Tutti frutti all rooty" because record producer Bumps Blackwell felt they were over the line. (Tutti-frutti was a slang term meaning a "gay male" and booty means "buttocks").

Sounds like a patchwork rumor quilt. And who knew that "booty" meant THAT? Shame on George Clinton.