Reynaldo: hold your man down!

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Christgau is trying to hate on your potna! Glossing Big-Tymers:Tour?? indulges his writerly ego to insightful effect.[/b]by Robert ChristgauMay 8th, 2006 12:58 PMThis is billed as an essay collection, a form book publishers despise and I love. But it isn't really???he's a master of the ubiquitously shallow and partial celebrity profile. Presumably TV got CNN figurehead turned BET big-tymer Tour?? his first nonfiction book deal, and magazine journalism???for Rolling Stone especially, plus Playboy, Tennis, Suede, Icon, and others???provides its content. Tour?? can write essays, yeah, and those true essays occupying Kool-Aid's final 85 pages are at least passable. The profiles start with serious access one senses he charms rather than bullies his way into, embrace the humiliating task of auxiliary interviews, and narrate with thematic smarts and stylistic flair. But sometimes, in an extra twist, Tour?? inserts himself. The portraits of Eminem, Alicia Keys, D'Angelo, Beyonc??, Russell Simmons, and others are definitive tagalong journalism: swift, thorough, insightful. But when he loses a $2,500 poker pot to Jay-Z, plays basketball with Prince or Wynton Marsalis, has his arm taken off volleying with Jennifer Capriati, or stunningly, wonders whether Suge's thugs will break his bones or just bruise him, he's defying the rules that in some selections poke their silly heads out when he refers to himself in the third person as "a writer" or some such. He has an ego, obviously (most writers do), but he always trains it on his subjects. He's a writer born and made. Too bad TV pays so good.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Reynaldo--retaliation is a must!

You cannot look into this man's eyes and tell me you will sit idly by while Christgau impugnes his journalism/essayist game!

What is your plan?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    "Real badman nah reply to dem own topic."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Real badman nah reply to dem own topic."

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I decided I didn't really like this dude much when I read about his recent wedding in that cute little wedding part of the weekend NYTimes. It made him look

But I might pick up this recent book he wrote. Anyone read it?