Million Dollar Crates?

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
What's up folls? I came home one day about 8 months ago and literally could not walk in the crib I had so many damn records! So I moved them all over to moms crib and filled two rooms, the garage and her storage. She lives alone in a nice size house. So she calls me last week and says "I'm moving and you have a week to come get your records". Man was I bummed........... Well I rented a 20' X 20' storage unit today and started moving them again. When I was signing the papers at the place the lady told me that all units are insured. So she asks me how much do I think the contents of the unit is worth and without hesitating or missing a beat I tell her "A million dollars". She gives me a little short giggle and looks over at me. I'm looking right back at her and she says to me again "how much"? I'm like didn't I just say "A MILLION DOLLARS"! She then told me I was being difficult and didn't like my attitude etc. etc. I told her look, you asked me a question and I answered. She tells me they only go up to $5000.00 So I said fine then say $4,999.00. I told her I have 50K records and selling them at a $20 a piece average (which is low) it would be a million dollars. Well she just wasn't feeling or hearing me. Whatever? I was being honest and she thought I was just being an asshole! I get this a lot too. The other day this local dj comes up to me with a GP-3 (portable record player)putting it in my face like I'm supposed to amazed by it or something. He is showing it off and asking me if I have ever seen one and I told him I had two of them and the mixer and a clear one! Same response..... the little giggle and "yeah right". I do not lie and Jacob Wizzle is my witness to that! Do any of you guys experince this weird kind of response from people? I don't get it?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I've had my space for a few years, and I try to have some small talk with the people who run the facility. One day I suggested that when it comes time for me to move, it will be a chore to have to move what is in there. The lady asks "what do you have?" I stated that I collected records, and the first question she asked was "so how do you buy records?"

Which lead to "Where do you buy them?"

"Is there a reason you buy them?"

I break it down to the most easiest way to understand, and I said "I love music, and collecting records is a hobby for me, just like someone collecting McDonald's toys or Beanie Babies." When I tell them that I also sell records to people, for a quick second their eyes light up, but it's back to the day as planned.

Or with others, I'll get someone who says "before my husband died, he collected TV Guides".

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Do any of you guys experince this weird kind of response from people? I don't get it?

Yeah, it's like when I was at the mall the other day and the lady from the Lotus Grill was like, "You try sweet and sour pork!" I said, "No thanks, I'm not hungry." She says, "You just try it, you like it." I was like, "I SAID I WASN'T FUCKING HUNGRY!" Man! Some people just don't listen.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So she asks me how much do I think the contents of the unit is worth and without hesitating or missing a beat I tell her "A million dollars". She gives me a little short giggle and looks over at me. I'm looking right back at her and she says to me again "how much"? I'm like didn't I just say "A MILLION DOLLARS"!

Fool. She has the master key. Those units get robbed all the time. They get robbed all the time by the employees. I would move them as soon as possible.

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

Please rob me

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Funny you say that because that came to mind. Maybe I should have my pistol fall out of my coat tomorrow when I'm in the office!!!! I will go in and ask her how many times have the units been broken into, or robbed etc. Then I will let her know I would really hate for that to happen to my unit because it would be poppin' like Orval Redenbaker......I will then let her know it's a good thing I live accross the street and can see what goes on all the time! Real deal though. I'm keeping all of the very raer titles at home, I'm not THAT stupid! I also plan to be there as short a time as possible as I'm looking into buying a different place. I don't think it matters anyway as she stills THINKS I was just saying that. I also, have another rule of note and that is, if you don't want it stolen then don't give them the chance. Like I said ALL the ill shit stays with me at the crib.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    hey Danny-
    found that Incredicrew 12" the other day.A Dope record I did not know about....and 1987...damn dude.

Wow, where did you get that? That record is so rare, No ONE hardly knows about it. The one thing is I like to brag about ALL of the beats I used on that thing and the year I did it. I was FIRST to use a lot of breaks that became big sample records. I actually used "substitution" before Ultramagnetic but with no industry or outlets where I am, who would know! When Freddy Fresh was doing his book he would hit me up and ask me questions about rap records all the time. I never mentioned my record and the funny thing is it is in the book but with no picture! I don't think he figured out to put 2+2 together. Anyways, I know I never call you but I will. It is waaayyy overdue and I need a California Playboys if you got one! Ha ha...............

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Maybe I should have my pistol fall out of my coat tomorrow when I'm in the office!!!! I will go in and ask her how many times have the units been broken into, or robbed etc. Then I will let her know I would really hate for that to happen to my unit because it would be poppin' like Orval Redenbaker......I will then let her know it's a good thing I live accross the street and can see what goes on all the time!

FUCKIN' HILARIOUS!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    pre:
    eBay: $3, no bids

Wow, where did you get that? That record is so rare, No ONE hardly knows about it.

$3 on the bay, I will start looking now! You remember "Skullsnaps" was 3 for 49 cents at one point as well! Lol.