Cleanups, 45s with a lot of hiss and crackle

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Hot on the heels of the scratched record thread i am looking for a few suggestions. i got a big box of 45s with some very nice stuff but a lot of them are in need of a cleaning. i have been using a damp rag, but know there has got to be a better way. What do you guys clean with to reduce noise on dirty records?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I use a blowtorch and just a smidgen of petrol.

Try it out.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

with proper record cleaning fluids.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    My house is too old dude, we have a no flame agreement with the lords of the land. i mean, i have that stuff lying around, but am contractually bound not to use it. i used to break out the torch if a record didn't bring the right amount of heat, but now all i have in this world is my balls and my electricity.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude.

That response was awesome.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Dude.

That response was awesome.

Dude.

That picture is awesome.

More pre-adult social categories than i even know what to do with.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    In all seriousness, elmers glue Finewine upped me to the technique in the late 90's and I've used it on every seriously dirty record I've gotten since. After the peel, it's best to do your normal cleaing skillz.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i see the logic in this. [assumption] Just cover the area, let it dry, peel it off? [/assumption]

Thanks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In all seriousness, elmers glue Finewine upped me to the technique in the late 90's and I've used it on every seriously dirty record I've gotten since. After the peel, it's best to do your normal cleaing skillz.

Is this technique legit?

I saw it mentioned here a long time ago but I figured it would get more attention if it really worked and was harmless...

styrene too?

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Is this technique legit?

it's 2 Legit 2 quit!!!! I havne't done it on styrene, but it works amazingly. make sure not to get any on the label, create a bit of a lip and that it dries at least overnight if you're in warm climates and it works like a charm. i wish I took before and after shots, but I'm really real.