man how prophetic was this?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I've often looked back at this headline from the first days of Bush's first term and marveled at the accuracy of the Onion writers...

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    sorry does this count as 90's-era nostalgia of the type shunned by the strut?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn, isnt it amazing just how jaded we have become, you read something like this, shake your head, shrug your shoulders and think "yep, thats about right".

grumblegrumble.

• An overwhelming 49.9 percent of Americans responded enthusiastically to the Bush speech.

• Its only prophetic in that it heralded the kind of spurious doom mongering that would characerise the left through out this courageous presidency. Two statements that I dare any of you motherfuckers to challenge:

1. The american economy is in great shape.

2. The US is involved in two minor ongoing wars in which they face minor difficulties.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Its only prophetic in that it heralded the kind of spurious doom mongering that would characerise the left through out this courageous presidency. Two statements that I dare any of you motherfuckers to challenge:

2. The US is involved in two minor ongoing wars in which they face minor difficulties.

Alright...who is this, really?

this courageous presidency

Huh? Is this Scott McLellan, or that dopey Bush nephew???

If you're a zillionaire...

Tell that to the dead people (suffering from ongoing "minor difficulties"...

Fool

Its only prophetic in that it heralded the kind of spurious doom mongering that would characerise the left through out this courageous presidency. Two statements that I dare any of you motherfuckers to challenge:

wow. you are funny.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

wow. you are funny.

I'm telling you...of all the politico trolls, this dude is the most worthless. I'll take Sabadaba all day every day over this nonsense. Its no fun if you can just disregard it that easily. Didn't they teach you this at Bob Jones Intern Internet Troll Training- it doesn't work if everyone can just laugh you off as ignorant.

• slushslush 691 Posts

dude you're pretty fucked up. i might even call you a jerk off... and i normally hold in these kinds of things. but in your case its clear as blue sky

wow. you are funny.

I'm telling you...of all the politico trolls, this dude is the most worthless. I'll take Sabadaba all day every day over this nonsense. Its no fun if you can just disregard it that easily. Didn't they teach you this at Bob Jones Intern Internet Troll Training- it doesn't work if everyone can just laugh you off as ignorant.

wow. you are angry.

------

------

Its not so much that I'm angry...just that dude is an insult to the time honored tradition of ruffling feathers on message boards. Every board I've ever seen or heard about has those two or three people who only show up in political threads, always take the descenting opinion, and throw out a bunch of zingers and personal attacks within their political rants. And, its come to be a position that is kind of an Important Member of the Team. I've just accepted their presence, use it for a laugh, and the occasional cause for argument.

But, this dude is just really bad at it. His responses are all over the map, his insults are weak, and he is just too easily dismissable to be any sort of decent foil. I'm just sayin'...If he's gonna be that guy, he's gotta step up his game. As it stands, its just a big YAWN, and go back to whatever RRelated thread I can read.

------

Its not so much that I'm angry...just that dude is an insult to the time honored tradition of ruffling feathers on message boards. Every board I've ever seen or heard about has those two or three people who only show up in political threads, always take the descenting opinion, and throw out a bunch of zingers and personal attacks within their political rants. And, its come to be a position that is kind of an Important Member of the Team. I've just accepted their presence, use it for a laugh, and the occasional cause for argument.

But, this dude is just really bad at it. His responses are all over the map, his insults are weak, and he is just too easily dismissable to be any sort of decent foil. I'm just sayin'...If he's gonna be that guy, he's gotta step up his game. As it stands, its just a big YAWN, and go back to whatever RRelated thread I can read.

come on man, ruffling feathers on message boards is a great sport, but sometimes the bait is too damn obvious to bite.

as for the personal attacks, do i know you bro? Did i upset you? are you going to be able to stop reading my posts now?

take it easy mate.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

------

come on man, ruffling feathers on message boards is a great sport, but sometimes the bait is too damn obvious to bite.

as for the personal attacks, do i know you bro? Did i upset you? are you going to be able to stop reading my posts now?

take it easy mate.

Wait so nzshadow is dolo yeung.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

------

take it easy mate.

Psssst...I think he's ragging on the other guy and just quoted you.

so that would make me a dumbfuck of gargantuan proportions then right?

yeah...

ahhh well, looks like i got MY feathers ruffled.

and no i am not Dolo yumyum.

so that would make me a dumbfuck of gargantuan proportions then right?

yeah...

ahhh well, looks like i got MY feathers ruffled.

and no i am not Dolo yumyum.

Aw that would have been interesting now he is just some random dumb fuck again.

if it makes any of you feel any better, i just changed my babys daiper and he shat in my face. It was like a 1 meter squirt straight at me.

now my wife is calling me 'scat muncher'.

my day rules.

if it makes any of you feel any better, i just changed my babys daiper and he shat in my face. It was like a 1 meter squirt straight at me.

my day rules.

You got by your son.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

my day rules.

we would just call you a shit head here in the states.

jus playin. 1 meter, thats pretty good distance!

And the asshurt sonned like a bitch award for this week goes to...

NZSHADOW!

here to present his award, JACK!

Horrible child.

And the asshurt sonned like a bitch award for this week goes to...

NZSHADOW!

here to present his award, JACK!

Horrible child.

Yeah man, sorry for the confusion...I ain't mad at you; hell, I ain't made at Dolo Yeung, but his game is weak, and I felt like saying so.

I could never get mad at the man who gave us the jizzmop stories. NEVER.

Anywho, sorry your son sprayed a deuce on you. That pretty much takes the ol' shit pie for the day (ayo!). Cute kid though...whenever my lady tells me I spend too much time on here, I show her the pics of kids, and she thinks I couldn't be online with a nicer bunch of fellas.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Uh, except you didn't do either. You're not really laughing him off - if anything, your response on emboldens him.

I mean, c'mon people, Dolo CLEARLY was baiting people here and people bit that shit, hook, line and sinker.

Yeah man, sorry for the confusion...I ain't mad at you; hell, I ain't made at Dolo Yeung, but his game is weak, and I felt like saying so.

Anywho, sorry your son sprayed a deuce on you. That pretty much takes the ol' shit pie for the day (ayo!). Cute kid though...whenever my lady tells me I spend too much time on here, I show her the pics of kids, and she thinks I couldn't be online with a nicer bunch of fellas.

sweet, like i said, im a dick. i havent edited ant of my posts because i am a firm believer that self-sonnage is fucking entertaining.

I use the same tactic with my wife, she calls you all the record nerds...

and Odub, that was my point entirely: when its obviously bait, big fish dont bite.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    when it's obviously bait, big fish dont bite.

= the new "bad boys move in silence"

sweet, like i said, im a dick. i havent edited ant of my posts because i am a firm believer that self-sonnage is fucking entertaining.

I use the same tactic with my wife, she calls you all the record nerds...

and Odub, that was my point entirely: when its obviously bait, big fish dont bite.

Totally agree on the self sonage- I only try to edit for grammar/clarity. In the end, this should all be entertaining. Hell, I'm lame ducking two weeks at my job on Soulstrut right now- I don't care if I look like a putz, as long as we're all entertained.

As for the baiting thing... I guess I just resigned myself to the fact that dude is going to post- Might as well encourage it to be entertaining. But, hey...from now on, I won't eat that worm.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

All your whinning, and none of you were even up to the challenge. Typical liberal bush hatters. You can't refute number one, because no one has produced a bigger trade or budget deficit than Bush. The economy was so weak during the 90s that Clinton balanced the budget. George Bush thankful got rid of that. Take #2, ever since Bill Clinton liberals have been a bunch of soldier loving cry babies. So a few thousand kids died overseas, and you act like it's a big deal.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    On a different note.

What are peoples thoughts on The Euston Manifesto

Anyone??? I really haven't looked into it. I'm just curious on anyones thoughts before I read it in full.

All your whinning, and none of you were even up to the challenge. Typical liberal bush hatters. You can't refute number one, because no one has produced a bigger trade or budget deficit than Bush. The economy was so weak during the 90s that Clinton balanced the budget. George Bush thankful got rid of that. Take #2, ever since Bill Clinton liberals have been a bunch of soldier loving cry babies. So a few thousand kids died overseas, and you act like it's a big deal.

So-slow youngin': Here's one statement I dare you to challenge: you are the littlest dude on this board.

Laserwolf: C'mon dude. You're not really stooping to this toy's level are you? I will assume the "few thousand dead kids thing" was a joke.

Now, back to the Onion story. The following fake Bush quotation appears toward the end of the piece:

"Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. *check*[/b] We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent *check*[/b] . And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it*check*[/b] ."

so, uhhh, in what way was this not, in hindsight, an accurate forecast of the Bush presidency?

So-slow youngin': Here's one statement I dare you to challenge: you are the littlest dude on this board.

Laserwolf: C'mon dude. You're not really stooping to this toy's level are you? I will assume the "few thousand dead kids thing" was a joke.

Now, back to the Onion story. The following fake Bush quotation appears toward the end of the piece:

"Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. *check*[/b] We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent *check*[/b] . And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it*check*[/b] ."

so, uhhh, in what way was this not, in hindsight, an accurate forecast of the Bush presidency?

sorry Dan I know you weren't serious.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

sorry Dan I know you weren't serious.

I've realized that Yolo and Rockadeli have more fun writting nonesense than I have responding to it, so I thought I would start writing nonesense. It is fun. V is the only rightwinger who can make a coherent argument, so I will continue to talk to him.