48 Hour Good Times Marathon on Nick at Night

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone peeping this?Some great episodes I had never seen.Bernadette Stanis fine as ever.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it seems like a good times marathon everytime i click by that station.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    yeah. i was way into this yesterday, then the party killer walked in the room on some, "i really hate this show. put it on some sweet 16" bullshit.

she just doesn't recognize the real.

me not watching the dope shit represents the struggle.

• Eric Monte came up with the idea for this show. The man is an absolute hero of mine the primary reason I got into television and film. Soon after creating this show he went on to write the movie 'Cooley High".

He dissappeared from Hollywood life for the most part afterwards popping up occasionally to write for Moesha or give interviews on the idea of the black family on television.

He is one of the unsung heroes of helping to create a positive black image on the screen. Unfortunately he's fallen on hard times as of late

If I ever gain the opportunity I plan to work with him and learn all I can

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Eric Monte

Interesting...I was watching the marathon today, the episode where Janet Jackson makes her debut I believe and noticed the name Eric Monte for the first time.

Found a great interview: Here

Excerpt:

jimi izrael: wait a second

jimi izrael: you pitched "The Cosby Show"?

Eric Monte: Yes.

jimi izrael: With the doctor husband, lawyer wife, etc?

Eric Monte: Yes. Only the wife wasn't a lawyer.

jimi izrael: what was she?

Eric Monte: Fine and smart. Here comes another long story.

Eric Monte: Up until that time, whenever they did a black comedy, all the mothers were fat. On the white shows, all the mothers were slim and gorgeous. And I told Marcy that I thought that was wrong and stereotypic. That even though I didn't reflect it, my mother was gorgeous. I felt there should be a black show with an intellegent father and a beautiful wife. She told me it wouldn't work.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    More wild than the above:

Hi. I am writing a book on Norman Lear and I was wondering how I could talk to Eric Monte about his experiences on Good Times. Is there any way I could contact him to ask him a question or two for the book? I am 15 years old[/b], and a publisher (BearManor Media) is interested in the idea. I am looking to interview many of the people that worked with Lear. For more information, visit my website at
    www.dear-norman.com.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    More wild than the above:

Hi. I am writing a book on Norman Lear and I was wondering how I could talk to Eric Monte about his experiences on Good Times. Is there any way I could contact him to ask him a question or two for the book? I am 15 years old[/b], and a publisher (BearManor Media) is interested in the idea. I am looking to interview many of the people that worked with Lear. For more information, visit my website at
    www.dear-norman.com.

dude how this kid even ever heard of Norman Lear is beyond me...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    yeah. i was way into this yesterday, then the party killer walked in the room on some, "i really hate this show. put it on some sweet 16" bullshit.

hang in there mayne. it's a worldwide struggle.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I think my hatred of Goodtimes is rooted in the fact that it used to come on after Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and when the Goodtimes music started that meant that the kids shows were over. Goodtimes meant the end of fun. It is this exact same reason that makes it impossible for me to enjoy M*A*S*H*. Goddamn I hate that themesong.