good modern psychedelia LPs

awallawall 673 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
japanese dudes are on point. others ---shameless plug what's everyone else feelin'?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't know about psychedelic, but Supersilent are fairly heavy.

And hey, a new Boredoms album is coming out next month.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    six organs of admittance and feathers

that ghost record has some really great songs. Comets kick ass live.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

You mean a U.S. release of Sea Drum/House of Sun, or a totally new album?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    six organs of admittance and feathers

i've still never heard the six organs albums, though i've seen him live a couple times and it was really bad. i moved to santa cruz near the end of the crest of that whole wave of music (comets, six organs, etc) but some dudes are still holding it down.

feathers wails.

• slushslush 691 Posts

• HamHam 872 Posts

damn, where can i listen? this record has to be good!

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    If the 80ies mean modern to you, you should check out the band of this gentleman:

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

that's the shit right there.. that and SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE.. damn.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Also: Boredoms on tour right now

Thu 05/19/05 San Francisco, CA The Independent

Sat 05/21/05 Chicago, IL Logan Square Auditorium

Mon 05/23/05 Victoriaville, QC Festival Actuelle

Wed 05/25/05 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Mercury Rev without David baker is ...it became the Jonathan Donahue Experience after "Boces" IMO..the first two are

David baker produced one of my albums, dude is like a big Woody Allen...stayed with me for almost a month, dude is neurotic as hell...but a good guy. I wish I had a copy of this certain tape of him, but our bass player secretly recorded David chewing out our other guitar player and the shit is hilarious, he even says at the end of the rant "you better not be recording this shit"...

I just picked up the Seadrum CD from the Boredoms this weekend... ...damn I wish I could hit one of those shows this week...

Although they are no longer modern psych, anybody heard anything off the new Butthole Surfers album?...it is some of the worst shit I have ever heard, it sucks what happened to those guys, I could not believe how fucking horrible it was...good god the shit is bad..

Mercury Rev without David baker is ...it became the Jonathan Donahue Experience after "Boces" IMO..the first two are

i agree with you there.. i dont think the first album holds up to well but Boces is a total freakin masterpeace.

see you on the other side is completely underated in my opinion though.. really and amazing record...

since then theyve basically morphed into an even more borin version of the flaming lips.

i blame friedman personally.. dude is too anal when it comes to production... he seems to suck the life out of these bands who are getting more and more bloated and over produced by the record.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

i agree with you there.. i dont think the first album holds up to well but Boces is a total freakin masterpeace.

see you on the other side is completely underated in my opinion though.. really and amazing record...

since then theyve basically morphed into an even more borin version of the flaming lips.

i blame friedman personally.. dude is too anal when it comes to production... he seems to suck the life out of these bands who are getting more and more bloated and over produced by the record.

"Boces" is baker's record, after seeing how he works in the studio, his imagination is immense and he just suggests the oddest things to do...you can tell the difference between "boces" and "see you..." from that..."Boces" has that kitchen sink, crazy ass thing about it...you can tell that it was arranged by someone who doesnt play an instrument, that is what is so great about it..baker doesnt even think of the limitations of any instrument, he just makes his ideas work for whatever instrument he wants something done with...whereas you can tell that this method was completey absent after they kicked him out...

"Boces" is baker's record, after seeing how he works in the studio, his imagination is immense and he just suggests the oddest things to do...you can tell the difference between "boces" and "see you..." from that..."Boces" has that kitchen sink, crazy ass thing about it...you can tell that it was arranged by someone who doesnt play an instrument, that is what is so great about it..baker doesnt even think of the limitations of any instrument, he just makes his ideas work for whatever instrument he wants something done with...whereas you can tell that this method was completey absent after they kicked him out...

agreed. Boces is definatly one of my top ten favorite albums of the 90's

i still think see you is completely underated in the rev cannon.. they're a sad band because a large portion of their audience stopped carring when baker left and then another large protion came on board once they started getting really boring.

• My faves are Major Stars, freakout guitar fuzz wah jams, Wayne Rogers is a genius.

Sunburned Hand Of The Man are interesting, don't know if they're for real ot they're
    just taking the piss of cult psych bands like Yahowha 13. Anyway I think they're great.

I also like Oranger, kind of psych-pop with a Keith Moon styled drummer who can also play the funk.

And not forget Bevis Frond.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I think the Edan LP is pretty psychedelic. I also like the new Spoon LP which sounds very 1966 Beatlesque.
    On similar note I heard the Pink Floyd song "Bike" this morning on XM. Now that's a trippy tune!

• awallawall 673 Posts

damn, where can i listen? this record has to be good!

the k records website probably has some mp3s. good album.

• pistolapistola 7 Posts
    Please put the album titles up for those who don't know.
    They all look very interesting!

peace

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Please put the album titles up for those who don't know.
    They all look very interesting!

peace

oops! i should of done that. didn't mean to be secretive.

the ones I posted:
    Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paralso UFO - S/T
    Ghost - Hipnotic Underworld
    DMBQ - Esoteric Black Hair
    Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun

Circulatory System - S/T
    Comets on Fire - S/T
    Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space
    Residual Echos - S/T
    Sunburned Hand of Man - Rare Wood
    No Neck Blues Band - Intonomancy

• pistolapistola 7 Posts
    Good deal.

What's the record with the crazy looking cartoon cover?