smoke - california "avant garde jazz" group - ???

hsulu_nationhsulu_nation 110 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Many years ago one of my favorite high school teachers mentioned that he played drums in some weirdo jazz group called Smoke. The name was kind of perfect because people would see him cruising down the highway, hotboxing his big American car and blasting Zappa. I had forgotten about all this until just now, when I was looking through my bookshelf and I remembered that he once told me to spend a summer by myself reading everything Faulkner ever wrote.So I believe this is the Smoke he was referring to:http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4045218230Any fans of this record? Any info on other Smoke LPs (if any)?Thanks. HHH

Comments

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I didn't know about this record. They have an other fantastic LP on MPS called "Everything". Track called "Shelda" is sublime on this.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    yeah word up. smoke-everything is bomb, it was rerelased on cd a couple years back. real crazy shit all over the place but nice tracks

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I know of two national pressings of "Everything". One is from Germany, which I have, and one is Spanish. I saw one on ebay some years ago, which was supposed to be a US pressing, but nobody has so far confirmed its existance.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    wax poetics 10 had a little review of the repress-they mentioned the german pressing. good shit

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Many years ago one of my favorite high school teachers mentioned that he played drums in some weirdo jazz group called Smoke. The name was kind of perfect because people would see him cruising down the highway, hotboxing his big American car and blasting Zappa. I had forgotten about all this until just now, when I was looking through my bookshelf and I remembered that he once told me to spend a summer by myself reading everything Faulkner ever wrote.

So I believe this is the Smoke he was referring to:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4045218230

Any fans of this record? Any info on other Smoke LPs (if any)?

Thanks. HHH

theres been some talk bout smoke before on ss.

is this your teacher?

theres different drummers on the two albums, this guy is from the first one.

• theres been some talk bout smoke before on ss.

is this your teacher?

theres different drummers on the two albums, this guy is from the first one.
    Yeah - that's 'Doc.' Thanks for clarifying!
    So I'm assuming he's on the first one (w/ the ashtray) but not the 'Everything' LP people are raving about?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    akira tana plays drums on Everything.

the first album is progressive flow-ish jazz not really my taste for the most part, but their second lp (that people are raving about) is imo straight up INSANE !!!
    prog jazzfunk fusion, super dope instrumentation, electric
    in other words recommended!