Yet Another Shitty Lineup for Vancouver Jazz Fest

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
every year i keep hoping the coastal jazz and blues society is going to get their shit together. it pisses me off that the jazz giants of the 60's and 70's (this year with the eception of bobby hutcherson and andy bey) are being passed over in favour of midling headliners like tony bennett and elvis costello (last year there was like 5 nights of diana krall ). but then they try to compensate with photo-realist style funk groups like sharon jones and the dap kings to show how they are really down with the urban, street shit. can anybody explain to me why Kardinal Offical is playing the jazz fest? what a fucking wank. Jacksoul?

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    hey this sounds like the Detroit Jazz Festival, and the Ann Arbor Jazz and Blues Festival, and almost every other jazz festival in America! Except you actually have some decent acts, and it's not all crap. It's really sad how far the Ann Arbor festival has fallen. Ugh.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    jazz festivals are not for people who actually like jazz.

they are social events with jazz as an accessory.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    can anybody explain to me why Kardinal Offical is playing the jazz fest? what a fucking wank.

Cancon quota and a management team known to inveigle - curious to see how flat his next project will be (continuing a consistent DOA run) under the auspices of Akon's vanity imprint; no matter the affiliation, can't disguise the contents for what they are...

But concur that it's

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    elvis costello

OK, maybe he is out of place in a jazz festival, but the man is to be respected.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    elvis costello

OK, maybe he is out of place in a jazz festival, but the man is to be respected.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    elvis costello

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    by the way, burt bacharach was on the apprentice so for the right money anyone can have a collaboration with him.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    jazz festivals are not for people who actually like jazz.

they are social events with jazz as an accessory.