Geto Boys/Get Boys album??

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
How easy/hard is it to cop the pre- DEF AMERICAN version of the GETO BOYS/GETOBOYS lp.I remember hearing the raw version first, then the Rick Rubin later. What's the "story" w/ this. The version i copped later in nyc had a different version of Gangsta Of Love.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How easy/hard is it to cop the pre- DEF AMERICAN version of the GETO BOYS/GETOBOYS lp.I remember hearing the raw version first, then the Rick Rubin later. What's the "story" w/ this. The version i copped later in nyc had a different version of Gangsta Of Love.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a pre-Def American version of the album with that title; I thought the pre-Def American version was Grip It On that Other Level.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I didn't know there was such a thing as a pre-Def American version of the album with that title; I thought the pre-Def American version was Grip It On that Other Level.

Oh Yeah..................DUH.

If i remember, there were either different samples or no samples.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Anyone know if Grip It ever came out on full length vinyl?

Did the def-american version kill the GripIT version? Or do real local heads prefer GRipit?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Did the def-american version kill the GripIT version? Or do real local heads prefer GRipit?

i prefered the DripIt version and def. was NOT a real local head...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i prefered the DripIt version and def. was NOT a real local head...

Speak further on the "Drip It" version...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Local real heads verdict:

James Prince > Rick Rubin

Jdeez will co-sign me on this as well.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I have a single where they spell their name 'ghetto' rather than 'geto', what is the deal with this? anyone know?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Reddy Red sometimes posts at VE. They had threads there about the different pressings. There was a steve miller sample that wasn't cleared on Gangsta Of Love, I think.

As far as I know, no wax for Grip It, but it could be ultra raer like the 1st Willie D lp. I've seen the hot club wax of that twice in 15 years.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    There was a steve miller sample that wasn't cleared on Gangsta Of Love, I think.

Yeah my copy is one with the Steve Miller sample, didn't realise there was a second version 'till it was posted on VE.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    As far as I know, no wax for Grip It, but it could be ultra raer like the 1st Willie D lp. I've seen the hot club wax of that twice in 15 years.

Are you implying that the Willie D exists on full length vinyl?

I have a full length of the first Choice album, and there's a Convicts vinyl, so I can't understand why Controversy and Grip It wouldn't exist, being from the same era, and being (i assume) more popular albums.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Are you implying that the Willie D exists on full length vinyl?

I have a full length of the first Choice album, and there's a Convicts vinyl, so I can't understand why Controversy and Grip It wouldn't exist, being from the same era, and being (i assume) more popular albums.

The Willie D does exist as a Hot Club version. I don't remember the tracklisting. There's 5 songs I think. There is an ISBN for the Controversy full length LP, but who knows if they actually pressed it. I have the Convicts, the 2nd Willie D lp on wax. Neither were easy to find.

Was there ever a legit release for the "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta" (remix) 12"?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Was there ever a legit release for the "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta" (remix) 12"?

Yes, there was a 1993 Rap-A-Lot promo with the "Curtis Vibe" and "Ghetto Mix" versions.

I have the Convicts lp