Who's Seen United 93?? (Movie Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
If so, how was it??If not, do you plan on seeing it??

Comments

• I agree with those that say it is too soon.

cashing in on the deaths of many is defintly not a good look no matter how tasteful the movie is.

I'll watch it eventually but I won't pay to see it

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I agree with those that say it is too soon.

cashing in on the deaths of many is defintly not a good look no matter how tasteful the movie is.

I will never watch it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I would watch it if I thought it was going to be good. It looks corny as fuck, though. What better way to honor those who perished than with a good ol' Hollywood shlock-fest?

• rookrook 357 Posts
    its the same shit as titanic. every one knows the ending, and cashing in on peoples death isnt new or exclusive, ie) every war movie ever

I don't think "every war movie [evar]" was created to cash in on the death of others.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    obviously not the fake wars. but where cats actually died in a war-how is that different they are extrapolating what they need for a shitty sitution of war and publicizing it and hollywoodizing it so somebody makes money

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    I agree with those that say it is too soon.

I will never watch it.

wait til oliver stone's movie about 9/11 comes out.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

is this a real thing?

• obviously not the fake wars. but where cats actually died in a war-how is that different they are extrapolating what they need for a shitty sitution of war and publicizing it and hollywoodizing it so somebody makes money

most war stories I've seen aren't done as a historical re-telling. Films like Full Metal Jakcet, Paths of Glory, and Saving Private Ryan all told a particualar story that involved the war but certainly didn't limit itself to just that.

United 93 advertises itself as the story of what happened aboard the plane, its doesn't look to have a secondary reason to exist.

plain and simple the horror of 9/11 is still very fresh on peoples minds. The money lining the film company's pockets was created out of the horror of what these people died from.

unless every cent goes to the families I can't see this as a redeeming project

• wait til oliver stone's movie about 9/11 comes out.

is this a real thing?

yes

PS Happy bday

is this a real thing?

yes

PS Happy bday

thanks.

whoa. sounds interesting, i think.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    not trying to condone flight 93, shit of course sucks. i dig full metal and platoon and all the rest, but making money off peoples sorrow whether its fresh in the collective consciousness of from 30 years ago is not that neat. not saying that what kubrick did with vietnam or what stone did with platoon were fully intent on exploiting the death of americans, viet cong, or north vietnamese, but people still died and somebody is making dollars. there is a difference between glamorizing it-titanic and flight 93 and jarhead- basically fuck hollywood and 9/11 for happening

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

is this a real thing?

yeah it's called world trade center. i'll make a prediction it is going to be god awful. i feel it is sort of disingenious(sp) to make a movie about 9/11 I don't know why. Whether it is tasteful or not it just seems suspect as fuck.

dave

• wait til oliver stone's movie about 9/11 comes out.

is this a real thing?

yes

PS Happy bday

thanks.

I agree. I'm sure Oliver Stone will look at this story with some depth and try to show an alternate view of the events.

If its in the same mold as platoon, Wall Street, and JFK Stones piece is going to be designed to make the viewer think, I doubt the same could be said about United 93

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The reviews that I've seen of it say that it is excellent. They've also pointed out that is not your typical Hollywood depiction with glamorization, etc. The reviews say it has a very realistic tone and filming. Some of the people really involved in the events were used such as some Air Force officers and air traffic controllers. I do plan on seeing this film.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

is this a real thing?

yes

PS Happy bday

thanks.

I agree. I'm sure Oliver Stone will look at this story with some depth and try to show an alternate view of the events.

I'm sure Stones piece is going to be designed to make the viewer think, I doubt the same could be said about United 93

I'm curious....an alternate view vs. what??

Would you guys include Farenheit 9/11 in the too soon after/cashing in on a tragedy category.

Or does that get a pass because it was a "documentary".

I read today that alot of the "actors" used in United 93 were real folks who were actually involved with the real life events including FAA and Control Tower workers.

I doubt I'll go to a theater to see this one.

• plain and simple the horror of 9/11 is still very fresh on peoples minds. The money lining the film company's pockets was created out of the horror of what these people died from.

unless every cent goes to the families I can't see this as a redeeming project
    big co-sign

it has a very realistic tone

this is what bugs me out. just imagining what could of went on on those planes is enough to make me oozy.

The reviews that I've seen of it say that it is excellent. They've also pointed out that is not your typical Hollywood depiction with glamorization, etc. The reviews say it has a very realistic tone and filming. Some of the people really involved in the events were used such as some Air Force officers and air traffic controllers. I do plan on seeing this film.

Would love a review!

• I'm curious....an alternate view vs. what??

Would you guys include Farenheit 9/11 in the too soon after/cashing in on a tragedy category.

I read today that alot of the "actors" used in United 93 were real folks who were actually involved with the real life events including FAA and Control Tower workers.

I meant alternate view as in Stone will probably not do a direct re-telling of the story.

Stone has been off his gourd forever (he has been quoted as saying he directed U-Turn while on LSD). you bring that kind of paranoia and expert film making to a story like this and the possibility of a fascinating story is very likely.

Michael Moore's "documentary" falls along the same line, it was not a direct re-telling of the horrors of 9/11 it instead had a message that beat you over the head. IMO it's well done, intriguing, and very entertaining propaganda

Moore didn't make Fareheit to cash in on 9/11 he made it to get Bush out of office. A very different motive

I'm curious....an alternate view vs. what??

I meant alternate view as in Stone will probably not to a direct re-telling of the story.

Stone has been off his gourd forever (he has been quoted as saying he directed U-Turn while on LSD). you bring that kind of paranoia and expert film making to a story like this and the possibility of a fascinating story is very likely.

Michael Moore's "documentary" falls along the same line, it was not a direct re-telling of the horrors of 9/11 it instead had a message that beat you over the head. IMO it's well done, intriguing, and very entertaining propaganda

Moore didn't make Fareheit to cash in on 9/11 he made it to get Bush out of office. A very different motive

Then what do you think his film company did with the $120+ million dollar profit.

Did they donate any/all of it to the victim's families??

Not being a wise ass....would like to know....I hope they did.

• I'm curious....an alternate view vs. what??

I meant alternate view as in Stone will probably not to a direct re-telling of the story.

Then what do you think his film company did with the $120+ million dollar profit.

good question, I don't know the answer myself

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All I know is that I just don't feel comfortable watching this movie. Maybe someday I will I guess.

That makes me more interested in seeing it. The preview I've seen (about 100 times already) makes it look like a Steven Segal movie.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I will never watch Flight 93 or Oliver Stone's movie about 9/11. I lost a friend on one of the planes that day and I've seen quite enough actual footage of the event to last me several lifetimes.

Seriously, fuck this movie.

• I will never watch Flight 93 or Oliver Stone's movie about 9/11. I lost a friend on one of the planes that day and I've seen quite enough actual footage of the event to last me several lifetimes.

Seriously, fuck this movie.

its reactions like this that reassure me that this movie was done in bad taste no matter how the studio tries to spin it.

Ross,
    I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    All I know is that I just don't feel comfortable watching this movie. Maybe someday I will I guess.

I was at the WTC on 9/11, the building I worked in was across the street. I'm not trying to see this movie, I remember good enough.

the movie has got some good reviews tho & I'm sure Stone's will be worse.

btb

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    notice how there's NO New Yorkers in this thread.

FUCK 911 and FUCK that movie.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts

good question, I don't know the answer myself

According to news reports around the time of the theatrical release 60 percent of the profits did in fact go to charity. Cnn Article

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My roommate saw it and he said it sucked. I'm interested in seeing it but will wait for DVD.