Tony Gwynn appreciation (NRR)

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
okay on this unofficial baseball day I would like to pay tribute to one of the G.O.A.T., and quite possibly the first unanimous HOF inductee ever next year (not likely but anyone that votes against him should be kicked in the balls).

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Come on..

Somebody show my man some respect!!!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    okay on this unofficial baseball day I would like to pay tribute to one of the G.O.A.T., and quite possibly the first unanimous HOF inductee ever next year (not likely but anyone that votes against him should be kicked in the balls).

I'll cosign this...One of the great contact hitters of all time. I remember going to a game with my Dad once, and feeling like we saw something historic: Tony Gwynn went 0-4. THAT says something.

Played hard; played the game right.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Come on..

Somebody show my man some respect!!!

...and, The Hawk should DEFINITELY be in the HoF. This is a no brainer. (I'm already pretty heated about the steroid talk; I'll abstain from my "the Baseball Writers Assoc. that votes on the Hall are all morons, and are singularly unqualified for their job," rant.)

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    one of my all-time faves!!
    since my grandparents were from san diego, i got to see some games back in the day. never got his autograph though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    he's still around, commentating for the local channel 4 padres games

dude definitely knows the sport!

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

if gwynn or this dude aren't unanimous, there really is something wrong with the voters... cal is my all time favorite baseball player, i wanted to be him so bad when i was a kid... i saw him at the ACC basketball tournament in atlanta in 2001, i was press, and he was in the VIP/press area... we were right next to each other, and i just couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't make me look like a complete dipshit, so i just stood there with my mouth open ( ) while he talked to a couple of other dudes... later i thought of a million things to say, but i was just so caught off guard at the time that i locked up... he's not really someone i was expecting to see there, apparently he goes to a lot of maryland games

he and gwynn were such good dudes (and players), baseball could really use a couple more of those type of guys right about now... i think pujols might fall into that category

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    dudes none of these guys have anything on this foll:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Gwynn was "The Magic Wand" - he could "put" the ball anywhere on the field.
    Always looked for the right pitch. Could foul a ball on purpose.