Cuts, Corners, and Drill holes

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
i am sure you guys have discussed this in the past, but i have been wondering about some of the alterations to records and sleeves and what function they served.i know with promo CDs a whole is usually punched through the barcode...is this derivative of drill holes or cuts in album sleeves? i can't really think of anything else that cuts in sleeves or a small hole in the record would be for.Signed,Curious At Work

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

i know with promo CDs a whole is usually punched through the barcode...is this derivative of drill holes or cuts in album sleeves?

darwinian evolution.

drill holes and cuts also indicate that the specimen in study could have been a discount item.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Read Hit Men. There is a fascinating history to cut outs. but yeah, it was basically done for the same reason as CD's. A mark put on records that didn't sell and were discounted, or were promos, etc.

• i know with promo CDs a whole is usually punched through the barcode...is this derivative of drill holes or cuts in album sleeves?

Yup - same thing. done to promos and dumped stock as far as i know.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i am sure you guys have discussed this in the past, but i have been wondering about some of the alterations to records and sleeves and what function they served.

i know with promo CDs a whole is usually punched through the barcode...is this derivative of drill holes or cuts in album sleeves? i can't really think of anything else that cuts in sleeves or a small hole in the record would be for.

Cuts, corners and drill holes in covers usually have two functions:

(1) To differentiate promo copies from stock copies (like you just said);

(2) It also means a record or CD has been deleted from the company catalog and is no longer in print.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Right on.

Thanks for the info.

[pitchfork] Threaddead. [/grim reaper]