Ebay ruining the Record Buying experience?

JoeRoJoeRo 32 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
With so many record stores going out of business, I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks of Ebay and how its affecting the "record buying experience"

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    With so many record stores going out of business, I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks of Ebay and how its affecting the "record buying experience"

5 pager rager

I think the answer to the "is eBay affecting the record buying experience" is flat out: Yes.

On the negative tip: Shipping is one of the number one problems. I am actually paranoid about warpage since I live in a fairly heated zone during the spring/summer/early fall months. No tactility. No smell test. No scratch inspection. Some sellers grade in the dark with a free flashlight they got from an insurance conference or something, seriously. I've gotten stuff that was graded at "Near Mint" and was closer to "VG--"
    (I've also gotten stuff that was graded at VG+ and was Near Mint though).

Obviously there isn't any virtual needle dropping (well most of the time, unless you check out these hot auctions): http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsoulstrut-comQQhtZ-1

On the positive tip: More time to research, competitive buying (soon to be an olympic sport I'm sure), buying from the comfort of your home, 24/7 shopping experience. You can buy stuff on Xmas eve.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i would honestly blame technology [read: iPods] more than i would eBay... i agree that it sucks that all these record stores are closing... a few just closed here in l.a.... but i wouldn't say it's ebay's fault as much as people downloading music instead... vinyl is making a big comeback though... it just seems hard to run a record store that satisfies both the dollarbin hiphop producers and the overly knowledged collectr0s... one crowd is only willing to pay up to $10 [if not only $5] for something they want, whereas the other crowd is willing to drop cash, but rarely will the store have what they're looking for... just my take on it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yes: International competition is the number one problem.[/b]

If it weren't for ebay I would probably own much of my LP/12" wantlist, all for under $20, at this point

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    ebay + that thing called serato makes it too easy in the game.

• Living in New Zealand, ebay is really useful for getting stuff that was never even released here. Although I can see the point of guys who see international competition as a threat, I'd be stuck with the relatively limited range of locally released stuff to listen to (on vinyl) without ebay and the net.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Living in New Zealand, ebay is really useful for getting stuff that was never even released here. Although I can see the point of guys who see international competition as a threat, I'd be stuck with the relatively limited range of locally released stuff to listen to (on vinyl) without ebay and the net.

Totally, same in Australia. Reading Wax Po often feels like giving a 3rd world child a supermarket catalog. You just don't see alot of stuff here. All distributors brought here were the chart hits, and all that got made was some surf rock steez. Theres some good jazz to be found, but its in the minority.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    in 2006...it is what it is. as much as i want to blame ebay for the lack of goods/rares in most local store bins, i can't front. ebay has treated me very well the last couple years so i guess you either bemoan the change of the times or you adapt and start snatching nice pieces off ebay for cheap. i used to choose the former but now i choose the latter.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    in 2006...it is what it is. as much as i want to blame ebay for the lack of goods/rares in most local store bins, i can't front. ebay has treated me very well the last couple years so i guess you either bemoan the change of the times or you adapt and start snatching nice pieces off ebay for cheap. i used to choose the former but now i choose the latter.

amen. this ship has sailed, and you can either 1) swim out to catch it or 2) stand on the shore, sobbing and waving your hanky. but, it ain't coming back just for you, or some sorry store that would have gone under because of shitty selection and outrageous pricing.

(outrageous, in this case does not mean expensive; it means overpriced.)

• JoeRoJoeRo 32 Posts

amen. this ship has sailed, and you can either 1) swim out to catch it or 2) stand on the shore, sobbing and waving your hanky. but, it ain't coming back just for you, or some sorry store that would have gone under because of shitty selection and outrageous pricing.

I'm nostalgic and a bit stuck in the past when it comes to music, that's why I dig old music--I prefer my record shopping to be the same way. So in response to your question; You can catch me with a "hanky" on the docks watching the ship sail away and loving the hunt for records on the shore.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here are some of my favorite comments I've heard about ebay over the last 8 years....

"Ebay makes me an expert seller in EVERYTHING.....I don't have to know shit, just put it up there and if it's rare I'll get top dollar. Without ebay I'm just an idiot with a box of records that someone will screw me out of"

"As a seller this puts me in touch with every stupid person in the WORLD!!"

"I've heard that this LP goes for big bucks on ebay" (From a Flea Market seller who had admittedly never logged on to a computer in his life).

"I'm closing up the Shop and going on ebay" (Have heard this more than once and in at least two cases they found out that not having a storefront that records walk in to would make them extinct as record dealers....and it did)

I'm nostalgic and a bit stuck in the past when it comes to music, that's why I dig old music--I prefer my record shopping to be the same way. So in response to your question; You can catch me with a "hanky" on the docks watching the ship sail away and loving the hunt for records on the shore.

Hey man...I still like to do a lot of shopping in the boatyards. Lots of deals to be had if you dig around. But, when that foghorn sounds, I'm not afraid to jump on board.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

"I've heard that this LP goes for big bucks on ebay" (From a Flea Market seller who had admittedly never logged on to a computer in his life).

I hear this almost every weekend.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    I'm nostalgic and a bit stuck in the past when it comes to music, that's why I dig old music--I prefer my record shopping to be the same way. So in response to your question; You can catch me with a "hanky" on the docks watching the ship sail away and loving the hunt for records on the shore. hey man- you're not the only one who is nostalgic. i worked in a used record store for 4 years and loved it. i dig old music too. i also prefer to dig the old way but i'm also sick of spending all my free time digging through every thrift/salvation army/goodwill/local used spot/flea/blah blah blah to only come away with a couple decent records. it is 2006 and the chances of "getting over" are "getting rarer". that my friend is a fact! if you are satisfied with "finding" return to forever records and posting them as your "weekday finds" then rock that shit but personally i'm looking for a little more. now before you say that i'm off base and that i don't go out digging for real...realize that i was unemployed for 5 months and spent almost everyday getting absolutely filthy in every thrift/record store in nyc trying to find heat...only to find a 1/2 a months worth of "good" records. i dig bruhhhh!

• JoeRoJoeRo 32 Posts
    Hey man...I still like to do a lot of shopping in the boatyards. Lots of deals to be had if you dig around. But, when that foghorn sounds, I'm not afraid to jump on board.

I hear what you're saying--but what about everyone else running to that foghorn--translation: global marketplace creating high prices--I prefer to find the diamond in the rough for a lot cheaper, and with the added effort. It's easy to find records on ebay...it's tough, but definately exciting to find records in the "shipyard."

Here's to the Hunt!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I hear this almost every weekend.

Where do they hear this shit??? Ebay Radio??

• JoeRoJoeRo 32 Posts
    I'm nostalgic and a bit stuck in the past when it comes to music, that's why I dig old music--I prefer my record shopping to be the same way. So in response to your question; You can catch me with a "hanky" on the docks watching the ship sail away and loving the hunt for records on the shore. hey man- you're not the only one who is nostalgic. i worked in a used record store for 4 years and loved it. i dig old music too. i also prefer to dig the old way but i'm also sick of spending all my free time digging through every thrift/salvation army/goodwill/local used spot/flea/blah blah blah to only come away with a couple decent records. it is 2006 and the chances of "getting over" are "getting rarer". that my friend is a fact! if you are satisfied with "finding" return to forever records and posting them as your "weekday finds" then rock that shit but personally i'm looking for a little more. now before you say that i'm off base and that i don't go out digging for real...realize that i was unemployed for 5 months and spent almost everyday getting absolutely filthy in every thrift/record store in nyc trying to find heat...only to find a 1/2 a months worth of "good" records. i dig bruhhhh!

You've proved your "digging worthiness" bruhhhh. I wasn't questioning anyone's "digging integrity" on the board, I'm just dissapointed to see record stores fading away.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yes: International dealers are the number one advantage.[/b]

If it weren't for ebay I would probably not own any of my foreign 45 wantlist, usually for under $40

hey man- you're not the only one who is nostalgic. i worked in a used record store for 4 years and loved it. i dig old music too. i also prefer to dig the old way but i'm also sick of spending all my free time digging through every thrift/salvation army/goodwill/local used spot/flea/blah blah blah to only come away with a couple decent records. it is 2006 and the chances of "getting over" are "getting rarer". that my friend is a fact! if you are satisfied with "finding" return to forever records and posting them as your "weekday finds" then rock that shit but personally i'm looking for a little more. now before you say that i'm off base and that i don't go out digging for real...realize that i was unemployed for 5 months and spent almost everyday getting absolutely filthy in every thrift/record store in nyc trying to find heat...only to find a 1/2 a months worth of "good" records. i dig bruhhhh!

You've proved your "digging worthiness" bruhhhh. I wasn't questioning anyone's "digging integrity" on the board, I'm just dissapointed to see record stores fading away.
    Everyone on here probably had that one record store that they either worked at or shopped at (or both, in my case) that changed their life and helped them get started- where they learned stuff, talked to clerks, etc. And it is always sad when those places close- and any record store might have been that place for someone.

But, without putting any sort of a fine point on it, that is life. Sad? Cause for nostalgia? Yup. But, it happens in a lot more things than record stores.

Change is not necessarily good or bad; it IS inevitable.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    You've proved your "digging worthiness" bruhhhh. I wasn't questioning anyone's "digging integrity" on the board, I'm just dissapointed to see record stores fading away. yikes... no beef man. i hate seeing store close too but to be honest...alot of spots suck and need to close. to many shit stores are a joke. stores usually close because they are not worth going too/have a shiity selection at high prices. i prefer fleas and the like. i'm just saying...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Thanks for makin' me a billionare brotha!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I prefer to find the diamond in the rough for a lot cheaper, and with the added effort. It's easy to find records on ebay...it's tough, but definately exciting to find records in the "shipyard."

Here's to the Hunt!

Maybe im just a grumpy old man, but Ebay just dosnt do it for me, i aint got nothing against all you Ebay freaks, do your thing homeys, And as for you store owners and dealers, hell Ebay is an essential part of your business, i aint knockin your hustle neither.

but for me personally, its all about the thrill of the chase. nothing compares to getting your fingers all dusty and nasty.

although im sure a fair percentage of the records i buy from record shops (not 2nd hand or charity store digs) are in that store because of ebay.

im just further down on the food chain.

cant stop progress.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    I can see why people would be annoyed over ebay taking over but complaining at ebay for ruining the record game is like big record companies complaining over downloading music, they have points and all but it's not very creative, when the technnology exists for everyone it's just a question how you tackle it yourself.. things always change..

peace
    L

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Seems an obvious point to make, but use it to your best advantage.

I can pick up 6 or 7 cheapie soul 45's from the big 'mom and pop' style sellers delivered for the price of 1 or 2 over here in the UK. but I certainly steer clear of relativley common records that are the current flavour of the month because ebay will inflate the cost of it markedley. Ebay seems to inflate the price of the middle weight records the most.

The shop I used to work in didn't go under because of eBay, if anything eBay sales prolonged the inevitable for a bit longer.