FUCKING FUCK (ebay related)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
So, I just got my ebay account suspended for alleged "shill bidding".What happened was this: an auction was bid way high in a bidding war, pricing a lot of folks out. All of a sudden one of the high bidders cancelled all their bids. The item went down to less than half of its former price.A good friend and big $$$$ customer of mine who happened to be in the shop said, "shit, I would buy that for $___". I said, "feel free to bid. It's anyone's game now." Dude went ahead and bid what was within his price range... on the store computer. He did not win and was actually not even the second highest bidder.I can't figure out if this was a complaint registered by someone else bidding on the auction or if it was because the IP address of the bidder matched mine.Either way, I have $$$ in auctions that have not yet been paid for, not to mention items I am/was bidding on.The Trust & Safety dept can only be reached by email and requires 24-48 hours to respond. I am leaving for CA tomorrow and will have only sporadic access to email.THIS FUCKING SUCKS. Not only could I potentially lose hundreds on auctions that just ended (not yet paid) but also in fees that will probably not be refunded. I just spent a half hour in the "live help chat" window and that was fucking useless, thirty minutes of my life I can never get back.FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.[/rant]

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    well that sucks... you should get your friend that bid on it to contact them ASAP as well... just sayin.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn JP, that is wack! I bet it was because of the IP address. Did you set up the account on the store computer?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    no but the auctions were listed from here.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It was the IP address for sure. If you call eBay (there are valid phone numbers on the internets to be found), perhaps explain your situation (they'll keep telling you to use the internet, just keep talking) then they might relent on their wack shit.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

or if it was because the IP address of the bidder matched mine.

Pretty sure this is why you got flagged. I would think they have processes that run to detect that kind of thing, much the same way online poker sites check for colluders.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    it happened to me - same situation. You have to go thru some hoops but you're back up & running in less than 48 hours. if two accounts are used on the same computer and one bids on the others ish - they bounce you.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Ebay should be more concerned with the guy who cancelled his bid

Ebay should be more concerned with the guy who cancelled his bid

I AM SAYING.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    People can only cancel their bids 12 hours before the auction ends, so it's not totally I'd rather that than having to hear some story as to why they can't pay for the jawn which is way worse and way more time-comsuming as what J-Goody (what's up with the Frank Owens buttas???) about to go thru getting plugged back into the matrix.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Man, that is FUCKED UP. This IP check must be a relatively new thing though, cuz a couple years back I would occasionally bid on items my own store was selling while I was on the job

I actually accused a seller of shill bidding, that seemed VERY OBVIOUS, but there were NO repercussions... and, in fact, I think you have to be reported several times before they even do anything so it MUST be an IP check...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    from "AUCTION GENIUS Course??: 16 hours of
    live classes taught on your computer" LOL

http://auction-genius-course.com/auction/ebay-online-bidding.shtml

"eBay Online Bidding: Online Shill Bidding Is Usually Detectable On eBay

eBay online bidding really isn't as mysterious as it's made out to be. There is as a lot of buzz about shill bidders on the eBay forums. But in actuality, shrill bidding isn't that common and is rather easily detected.

A buyer will sometimes attempt to use shill building to raise the price of merchandise he is selling. The idea is that the shiller will bid increasingly high prices, in the hope that legitimate buyers like you will top the artificially high prices in an effort to win the goodies for sale.

Here are five ways you can recognize a shill bidder:

1. Few shill bidders will have any feedback. This is because they never follow through with transactions and therefore don't have anyone to leave feedback. If the shiller does have legitimate transactions on ebay, he is usually smart enough to use a separate ID, because he does not want to get caught shilling and lose all buying and selling privileges.

{It is important to note, however, that just because a bidder has no feedback that does not mean that he is necessarily a shrill bidder. This may simply be a new account that has not had time to build a feedback reputation.}

2. Generally, a shiller only bids on the auctions of a particular seller. When in doubt, you can check the current and completed options of a seller and see if this shiller has bid on other auctions by the same seller.

3. Shill bidders are most often newbies. You can check the feedback, and the date that the eBay account was created, for any ebay member. If the bidder's account was created two days ago and he is bidding on several auctions of the same seller, you can be pretty certain about what is going on.

4. eBay has ways of the tracking shillers. Of course we don't know everything they do (and if I did know I wouldn't tell!) but some clues all are dead giveaways. For example, if the seller and the bidder have the same IP address, eBay knows to take a closer look.[/b]

5. Shill bidders retract many more bids than normal buyers. eBay does allow any buyer to retract a bid, although this is only supposed to occur for specific reasons. But in actuality, a retraction is rarely challenged and ultimately what can eBay do? It cannot force a person to pay for a particular item.

It is wise not to use this option on a frequent basis. Remember that your eBay behavior deal is constantly tracked. A retraction is considered to be a "black mark" on your reputation so don't do it very often. Shillers, on the other hand, don't care because they're unconcerned about their reputation. If caught, they simply open a new account.

Sometimes a shiller is the high bidder at the end of an auction. In that that case, the seller and buyer can agree to cancel the bid, rather than retract it. However, all this takes a lot of work, planning and effort. In the end, shill bidding is rarely worth the trouble and time. Instead, smart sellers spend their time finding products and writing listings - the two basic moneymaking activities of an ebay business - instead of plotting how to raise profits on individual listings. Success in business is about efficiency. "

===

lol, first hit on a google search of "ebay ip shill bidding"

yes that is very lol mark.

I know it was a tepid move but hey auction genius don't get your accounts (and IP's) twisted

SHILL BID, NEVER THAT SON!!!!!!!

yo you know what Mark why don't you mind your def leopard auctions and quit smart assing about.

Shit is not exactly funny to me right now.

yo you know what Mark why don't you mind your def leopard auctions and quit smart assing about.

My apologies dood. I just read the part about the ebay live chat and your auctions not having been paid for. Whoa, ouch. Okay, my bad.

Gotta breathe though, get on the phone with the ebay folks or go with a name change to Goodrecsnyc2 if it comes down to it.

And yo, no one can hate on $15 def leppard. Nobody.

My apologies dood. Gotta breathe though, get on the phone with the ebay folks or go with a name change to Goodrecsnyc2 if it comes down to it.

And yo, no one can hate on $15 def leppard. Nobody.

I'm just saying man, your jokey jokey lol saying shit might be cute to you but it's not called for right now.

I spent hours dealing with ebay today already, thanks for the advice though.

And I'll kindly take $260 John Coltrane over $15 Def Leopard, all things being equal.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

or if it was because the IP address of the bidder matched mine.

Pretty sure this is why you got flagged. I would think they have processes that run to detect that kind of thing, much the same way online poker sites check for colluders.

Fuck i have been trying to work out why mine has gone down, couldn't get any answers, so i started a new one. It has been susspended after like a month and bit of using it.... must be the same problem, since no other details were the same.

Fuckers.

And I'll kindly take $260 John Coltrane over $15 Def Leopard, all things being equal.

You're lucky if you live in a part of the country where 2 bills Coltrane can waltz into your shop. That ain't happening around here unless you run Atomic in Burbank lol.

Anyhow, good luck dude. My clown was on auto-pilot, gotta remember to shut it down in a JP rant thraed.

it didn't waltz into my shop, I bought it from a dealer out of state who found it by the side of the road.

Things like that don't just waltz into my shop.

Doubles of Cymande - Promised Heights on the other hand...

all good dude. think before you post

it didn't waltz into my shop, I bought it from a dealer out of state who found it by the side of the road.

think before you ____ (<==insert 4 letter world)

^^^story of my life

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

Things like that don't just waltz into my shop.

Doubles of Cymande - Promised Heights on the other hand...

all good dude. think before you post

le cop on the other....

that is a downright shit situation to be in with ebay. i'd suggest getting someone from ebay on the phone (but then again how in the hell can you do that???)