Dems will take the House in the fall

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
anybody wanna step up and put a bill on it?

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

I'm praying for it, but I laid half a bill on my gas tank last night, so won't be gambling today....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I hope the Dem's are up to it. Their lack of a unified voice on any issues will hurt their chances.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I just got back from the future. It happens.

Tonight immol try to go to 08.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I don't trust anyone who tells me that a permenant 1-party majority is a good thing for this or ANY country. I hope the American people wake up not only to the fact that 1) things are worse than they were 2, 4, and 6 years ago, and 2) 1 Ruling Party is the worst way to govern long term. I don't care which party it is, but it is in the best interest of ALL Americans to have a disparity between the House/Senate.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i have very little faith that much could be accomplished
    special interests have f-d up the system to the point of beyond fixing
    it will take 20 years to get back on course from the last 6 years of damage
    by their nature, politicos don't/can't make the hard/harsh decisions to get us back on track
    but
    they will investigate the hell out of some things that i'm curious about
    so for that reason alone
    i hope it happens

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't trust anyone who tells me that a permenant 1-party majority is a good thing for this or ANY country. I hope the American people wake up not only to the fact that 1) things are worse than they were 2, 4, and 6 years ago, and 2) 1 Ruling Party is the worst way to govern long term. I don't care which party it is, but it is in the best interest of ALL Americans to have a disparity between the House/Senate.

Word the fuck up. Among the great many things we've (hopefully) been learning under the current regime, a big one is that single-party rule quite simply does not work.

However, I don't have much faith in the idea that the Dems will capture either house of Congress, largely because as a group they're pretty inept at campaigning, and while this batch of Republicans has proven itself to be startlingly bad at governing, it's quite good at winning elections. Remember: You don't care about war, record-setting deficits, more people without health care, and a crackdown on civil rights--a dude wants to marry another dude! And that Mexican guy over there? He probably shouldn't be in this country! C'mon, now!

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    God... I was raised ultra liberal Democrat style by two parents who knew what was up. When the LAUSD desegregated I was bused to the inner city from my lilly white suburb. I would not have a nose for jheri curl privates if my parents were not open minded, cultured, and your typical borderline Commie Hollywood Democrats.... In fact they came from a long line of Democrats.

With that being said times have changed and I say fuck the Democrats and the Republicans. They are two sides of the same coin conspiring to distract the American people with partisan bullshit while they fuck up the world with evil power moves.

Yes I will vote Democrat in the fall but I am just sick of this bi-partisan con game period. It is a joke and if I have to hear one more dumb ass Westsider rant about how honorable the Democrats are and how evil Bush is I will barf... Yea... I know Bush is evil you jerks... Go to Haiti and help some people out or something. Don't just sit here and preach. And no I won't sign your save the world voter checklist outside of Whole Foods so leave me and my family alone please... The system's broke and only a riot will fix it.

It's the postmodern world people wake up. The brown people of LA are here, were always here and are here to stay... You Thousand Oaks jerkoffs can pay $17 for your Baja Fresh soft taco if dont want these hard working honorable people here to serve you... as if you had a choice... There are no more borders you fucking assholes.

This is not directed to anyone on soulstrut... This is just a rant.

rant over... sorry about this.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i have very little faith that much could be accomplished
    special interests have f-d up the system to the point of beyond fixing
    it will take 20 years to get back on course from the last 6 years of damage

Cosign

It's the postmodern world people wake up. The brown people of NYC[/b] are here, were always here and are here to stay.

Massive cosign. Do the reactionaries try to even imagine a country with no more illegal immigrants? H1-B does not an economy make. We learned this within the last decade.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

With that being said times have changed and I say fuck the Democrats and the Republicans. They are two sides of the same coin conspiring to distract the American people with partisan bullshit while they fuck up the world with evil power moves.

Co-Fucking-Sign.

Money rules the world, not political parties.
    While I personally think that one party more blatantly shows itself to be ruled by money, I sadly think both parties are too beholden to mega-global-corporations to make any serious change happen.

Sure, I'll vote Dem because they represent the least of two evils, but how the fuck did we get so far that we are stuck voting between evils rather than for something genuinely good?!

It's really funny to see the same old defeatist song and dance from "liberals." Have they really beat you down that hard? After, what, 6-8 years? Damn. After 20 years you'll probably be accepting ovular implants in your sphincters.

At the very least , when the Dems take the House they will hold hearings to get to the bottom of the past 6 years of Bush. He may even be impeached. Both will be huge steps forward.

Meanwhile you laptards can keep waiting for your Prince(ss) Charming(s).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The system's broke and only a riot will fix it.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    After 20 years you'll probably be accepting ovular implants in your sphincters.

I ALREADY HAVE THIS AND ITS FABULOUS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS HOWEVER.

It's really funny to see the same old defeatist song and dance from "liberals." Have they really beat you down that hard? After, what, 6-8 years? Damn. After 20 years you'll probably be accepting ovular implants in your sphincters.

At the very least , when the Dems take the House they will hold hearings to get to the bottom of the past 6 years of Bush. He may even be impeached. Both will be huge steps forward.

Meanwhile you laptards can keep waiting for your Prince(ss) Charming(s).

Dude, I'm waiting for the apocalypse. I feel it's rather more than just the last 6 years of Repups. The whole concept of the US is unsustainable, whoever's in charge.

After 20 years you'll probably be accepting ovular implants in your sphincters.

I ALREADY HAVE THIS AND ITS FABULOUS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS HOWEVER.

Post a picture or your soft/hard.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

1. I want this more than anything, but I'll believe it when I see it. Frankly I still don't think they're brave enough.

2. Even if they hang the GOPs who have been in charge out to dry, the Dems still need to prove that they are also not the lapdogs of corporate power. Otherwise it's just more partisan bullshit whose face looks good but whose rot rides underneath. Until they figure out a way to run for office without needing huge bundles of cash all politicians are forced to make compromises.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    times have changed and I say fuck the Democrats and the Republicans. They are two sides of the same coin conspiring to distract the American people with partisan bullshit while they fuck up the world with evil power moves.

I feel you about Dems being limp-wristed and generally ineffective, but I can't get down with saying the two parties are the same. Whether they follow through or not is a question of effectiveness, and yes the system is f**ked, but at least the Dems try to address actual problems. Think about health care, as an example, Dems say its a crime for a such a rich country to not offer universal health care, republicans say "private health care accounts", which is basically a bait and switch tax refund after which the government basically says your on your own. Dems are acknowledging the problem, while repubs are simply coming up with tricky ways of maintaining the status quo. These are not two sides of the same coin, and while its not guaranteed that dems will be able to remove their mouths from the corporate teet, acknowledging the problem is a step in the right direction...

times have changed and I say fuck the Democrats and the Republicans. They are two sides of the same coin conspiring to distract the American people with partisan bullshit while they fuck up the world with evil power moves.

I can't get down with saying the two parties are the same.

Me neither. I did think that back in 2000 when I voted for Nader. Now I know at least two things:

1) They are not the same. (Not even close.)

2) Nader is a chump.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I can't get down with saying the two parties are the same.

Me neither. I did think that back in 2000 when I voted for Nader. Now I know at least two things:

2) Nader is a chump.

Sven Nader ran for President???

least two things:

2) Nader is a chump.

1. Agreed. It's like there are two guys on the street. One is slapping people in the face, the other is cutting their heads off and shitting down their neck-hole.

2. Chump isn't a strong enough word.

• There are only two conclusions that can be drawn from this thread. Either...

a) None of you actually believe what youre saying and are simply trying to feel important.

b) You are all callous, compassionless bastards

If I believed what you people claim to believe there is no way id sit on my ass and not do a fucking thing about it. Do something or quit the armchair activism.

There are only two conclusions that can be drawn from this thread. Either...

a) None of you actually believe what youre saying and are simply trying to feel important.

If I believed what you people claim to believe there is no way id sit on my ass and not do a fucking thing about it. Do something or quit the armchair activism.

Someone unmask this punk alias once and for all. PLAESE.

No more Alize for you young punk!

The few times I've been mad at the whole board, I generally find it's something in the real world that's getting me down. Just a lot easier to bitch at strutters... especially anonymously!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When the Dems are in the majority they can be the majority that:
    Continues to fund war in Iraq.
    Doesn't impeach Bush.
    Doesn't fund NCLB.
    Doesn't stop oil company tax giveaways.
    Doesn't rebuild the Gulf Coast.

Seriously though they can only make things better. What really needs to be done is get the cronyism out of the executive branch and get back to a goverment that works; like we had in the 90s.

Dan

I have a lot of respect for your people. When you don't like something you blow up a federal building in Oklahoma City, kill doctors who provide services to women and make sure that votes are not couted in Florida. Was that you who shot the liberal talk show host in Denver? Wasn't it the people you support who shot the Kennedys, Malcom X and Martin Luther King?

I've got to hand it to you right wingers, you are hard core. No wonder you are in power. You must be very proud of all that is happening in New Orleans and Iraq.

Dan

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Sven Nader couldn't run a pick and roll much less a legitimate third party campaign to stop the corporate oligarchs from swallowing the entire us treasury. That said I am looking forward to the house hearings on Iraq, the debacle in the Gulf Coast and the rest. Bush's legacy as a true dunce will be sealed forever.

And before I hear from anyone saying that this is going to make the country worse. Hold your thoughts. What the Repubs have foisted on us the last 6 years will go down as one of the lowest points in US political history. Corruption, lies and the public castration of a great nation before a disbelieving world.

• I have a lot of respect for your people. When you don't like something you blow up a federal building in Oklahoma City, kill doctors who provide services to women and make sure that votes are not couted in Florida. Was that you who shot the liberal talk show host in Denver? Wasn't it the people you support who shot the Kennedys, Malcom X and Martin Luther King?

I've got to hand it to you right wingers, you are hard core. No wonder you are in power. You must be very proud of all that is happening in New Orleans and Iraq.

Dan

Many people have two visions of the world. Their own and one they attribute to anybody who dissents from their vision in even the minutest capacity. Im glad you seek to portray me as a fascist nazi super biggot. Its this attitude which keeps the left marginalised. As long as you remain wallowing in the self satisfied piousness of your ideology and condemn anyone who disagrees as either having a serious character or intellectual flaw you will remain largely irrelevant.

As long as you remain wallowing in the self satisfied piousness of your ideology and condemn anyone who disagrees as either having a serious character or intellectual flaw you will remain largely irrelevant.

If I believed what you people claim to believe there is no way id sit on my ass and not do a fucking thing about it. Do something or quit the armchair activism.[/b]
    I have a lot of respect for your people. When you don't like something you blow up a federal building in Oklahoma City, kill doctors who provide services to women and make sure that votes are not couted in Florida. Was that you who shot the liberal talk show host in Denver? Wasn't it the people you support who shot the Kennedys, Malcom X and Martin Luther King?

Dan

Many people have two visions of the world. Their own and one they attribute to anybody who dissents from their vision in even the minutest capacity. Im glad you seek to portray me as a fascist nazi super biggot. Its this attitude which keeps the left marginalised. As long as you remain wallowing in the self satisfied piousness of your ideology and condemn anyone who disagrees as either having a serious character or intellectual flaw you will remain largely irrelevant.

I am sorry you feel I was condemning you. In reality I was congratulating you for not being a "callous compassionate bastard" I admire the right for not "sitting on an armchair and talking". I assumed that since you have strongly stated your hatred for the left and for sitting around and talking that you would have been one of the people who was part of making sure the right seized power.

I am sorry I miss judged you.

Did you support the Clinton administration?

Do you support a woman's right to abortions?

Did you think that every vote should have been counted in Florida?

Do you support liberal talk show hosts?

Do you support the Kennedy's vision of a government that helps the poor.

Do you support MLK belief that "It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat. The image of America will never again be the image of revolution, freedom and democracy, but the image of violence and militarism." ?

Do you agree with Malcolm X when he said "You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."?

Please let me know are you happy with the administrations handling of Iraq and New Orleans?

Please let me know where you stand, because I am sure what ever it is you believe, you are not supporting those beliefs from an armchair.

Dan

• Im not wasting my time answering all that bullshit. You dont need to be familiar with my political outlook in order to prevent yourself from slipping into the realm of demagoguery. All you need to do is confront an argument on its merits, or lack there of, rather than attempt to associate it with insidious motives.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Im not wasting my time answering all that bullshit. You dont need to be familiar with my political outlook in order to prevent yourself from slipping into the realm of demagoguery. All you need to do is confront an argument on its merits, or lack there of, rather than attempt to associate it with insidious motives.

You've done better. Weak sauce.