Artists that come consistent with one sided 45s

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
You know, the acts that when you buy the 45s there is always one cool track & one that just doesn't quite hit that spot. I've bought a few of these recently, and be it because of record company pressure, or the hope of that 'huge hit' single, it is kind of intriguing me at this minute.Anyways, some of the better culprits.American Breed 45s on Acta, I know there are a bunch of 'rubbish both siders' by these clowns but I have got a few lately that have one side which is worthwhile.Paul Revere & The Raiders, or just The Raiders. These guys seemed great at having one weaksauce side & one that rocked considerably harder.Ray Charles, the mid period Ampar (I guess Paramount for you US types) 45s, consistently one cool track & one that is pap.Joe Simon 45s on Monument, again one (usually lame or cheesy) ballad and then some sort of cool uptempo soul cut.Kinda frustrates me sometimes, I almost feel like doing a mix of these 'better' tracks so they are in one handy place, especially the Ray Charles stuff because I feel like those sides tend to get dismissed pretty quickly.Oh well, thoughts, add ons?

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

I love it when that "other track" hits you at just the right time and you realize that its been the better side all along.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    You know, the acts that when you buy the 45s there is always one cool track & one that just doesn't quite hit that spot.

I think that was the point, back then. Producers and record companies wanted to make good and sure that the right side got airplay; that's why several of those Phil Spector-produced singles (Ronettes, Crystals, etc.) had those lame instrumentals on the flip sides.

It always strikes me as funny that even now, people will play both sides of an album but will only play the A-side of the single (assuming they know what it is, since the labels didn't always tell you which side was which). And I'm talking about collectors, not some teenager who bought the single back when it came out.

Ray Charles, the mid period Ampar (I guess Paramount for you US types) 45s, consistently one cool track & one that is pap. Kinda frustrates me sometimes, I almost feel like doing a mix of these 'better' tracks so they are in one handy place, especially the Ray Charles stuff because I feel like those sides tend to get dismissed pretty quickly.

Well, it's like I was telling my man Motown in another thread some time back...the history books always make it look like Ray Charles turned corny after he went with ABC, but they seem to miss the fact that he was still doing hard soul...on the singles[/b]. Records like "Hide Nor Hair"/"At The Club," "My Baby Don't Dig Me," "Never Had Enough Of Nothing Yet" (B-side of "Yesterday"), and "Tired Of My Tears" hit just as hard as the classic Atlantic sides.