nostalgia and music?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i think this question is pretty impossible, cause i dont think any of us are capable of unbiased opinions when it comes to music...cause music is all about that "oh sheit i was listening to that in grade 5 sheit" or some context.If i could conduct an experiment or survey on this message board, i'd be really curious about what genre or sub genre or "type" of music you are discovering/living now, that u never had the slightest inclination of finding about before?I find with music you are always on some nostaligic tip. my background is Goan, we gots lots of horns and sheit and fast tempos and when i really started getting into old skool reggae ska/mento, i didnt realize the stuff was just echos of stuff my parents would bump. so back on topic, is there a type of tunage u are into right now that has no resemblance to anything you were into prior in your life? my answer for me is no.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    as a rap and rock fan early on i never pictured myself loving soft female folk.

However my draw two complex folk vocal harmonies may have come from my professional choir training adn the Janequin influences I gatehred from there

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

However my draw two complex folk vocal harmonies may have come from my professional choir training adn the Janequin influences I gatehred from there

are you stoned?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    psychedlic.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    my answer for me is no.

same here.

also, most of the time i prefer instrumental records over vocals...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not sure how far back you're thinking...i can think of early (up to age 10) references for everything i love today, but there's no (childhood/musical) history for punk rock which i got into as a teen. some things just touch a nerve.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i still cant get into female folk, but for some reason i like that femme folk comp that numero just put out. dont ask me why. im not gonna start buying records by every blonde hippychick with an acoustic guitar that is twice her size, but this anthology does me good for now. some thangs really do touch a nerve.