does anyone own an iRiver?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
so i only got a cell phone last year, and now i am going to join the rest of the world and get an mp3 player. but which one? i know iPod is the automatic choice for most consumers, but i hear the iRiver has a built in mic/line which is a pretty attractive feature to me. but seriously, does anyone have one of these?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Raj does

I don't think the line-in works well for recording music, but might work well for mic-ing.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the mic in is not an option for vinyl to mp3 recording.

• iRivers are great, especially with rockbox open-source firmware. Those people really tricked out the recording features. But even with the original firmware, the mic-in and line in recording are excellent. The internal mic is pretty useless.
    If you can find one of the H140s or H120s (OOP now, try ebay), they even have optical in/out.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i have this and i love it.

i hate ipods.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

i hate ipods.

You're just anti-apple.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    If your Mac based get an iPod, they are rock solid IMO...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i use a PC.

i have this and i love it.

i hate ipods.

wow what is that and how much does it cost? can i record from vinyl to mp3 with that?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

i hate ipods.

You're just anti-apple.

WRONG. But I sure am glad you showed up.

I asked your boy tiger why he likes ipods so much (given their questionable battery life and frequent hard drive failures) His response summed it up for me.

"Every time mine has broken, they replace it for free (4 TIMES!!!)"

So the gauge on how well a product works, is how often they fail and are able to be replaced for free?

fock that.

btw, i went through 4 as well, before I wisened up and got out.

also, Zen is suing Apple for infringing. Results forthcoming.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    I got my first MP3 player just last week. I went with the Creative Zen Vision: M and I love it. Check it out.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I got an iaudio m3 by a company called cowon, i think its from Korea, got it two years ago off the internets, battery life is still going relatively strong, its got line in and out, and i recorded a les paul show in a medium sized jazz club with the built in mic, sounds pretty damn listenable, even with the recorder hidden under a newspaper for suspicious waiters and bouncers. The one i have has no screen on the main body, only a headphone cable remote, but newer models from the company have a screen and it plays video. BTW, i do not work for them, but i do really love the product, best part is, in comparison to an ipod, is that it works as a portable hard rive, i carry sessions files, video etc, as well as mp3s which i can bring it to peoples cribs and trade everything i got on there for whatever they got, plug it in and its shows up like a hard drive. Worst part is explaining to people that its "like an ipod", my 2 cents....

• brodambrodam 46 Posts
    I recently got a used Iriver H320 for about $225. I love it.

PROS:
    - Has line in MP3 recording, up to 320 kbps bitrate. You can monitor what you're recording as well thru the headphones. It's pretty handy for recording DJ sets. While you could record from vinyl directly, I would do it first to PC as you can't do any editing.

- USB plug and play. You don't have to install any software, just plug it in and drag and drop files. It doubles as a portable hard drive.

- Plays decent video after updating the firmware. Also can view pictures and text files.

CONS:
    - Navigating/playback control/EQ is a little confusing at first, but after you get used to which buttons do what, it's easy.

- The shuffle feature is a little sketchy. You can only shuffle through the songs in one directory at a time. Unless you load a Winamp playlist, shuffle that, etc, [email]AAHHHHH@#%^*!([/email]

- You can't create a playlist on the fly. There's something called Rockbox (homebrew firmware) that is supposed to have all these features but I've been too lazy to load it.

- Since it's no longer being made, if it craps out on you, you might be assed.

• Check your PM's. I wrote a lengthy response to this thread but it vanished in to the form error wasteland.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I'm holding out for mp3 phones. companies need to get up on this shit because my pockets got enough shit in them as it is. right now I'm waiting for Sony to drop this

althought nokia is suppose to drop this shit with 4gigs of space on the motherfucker

• I've had an IRiver H10 for a few yers now. Love it.