Options

Weekend FInds

edited April 2006 in Strut Central
A bit chilly on the bike....Beautiful solo guitar/vocals from CubaSame label that released the Black Strap Molasses LP. This has some tracks!Puerto Rican LP with a decent beat track.Spacey Argentinian LP with a great electronic track.I'll have some blues coming in soon, this one of them.Doubles of Alton Ellis and the Flames "Girl I have a Date" on proper Duke Reid/Treasure blank b/w Lynntaitt/Tommy Mccook track. Early digi LP on Observer. Niney didn't loose a step on the switch.OK, I'm over hatting on digi. BecauseK in Canada.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Spacey Argentinian LP with a great electronic track.

Check again, K., this looks soooo uruguayan to me.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Agreed. All the Claves I've seen were Uruguayan.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

• I went over to this dude's house and looked through 2000+ water damaged soul records, some almost bringing tears to my eyes, and when I was done I made my offer on what was salvagable and he says he's got a price guide from 15 years ago and he figures they're all worth at least $12 a piece in the book so they have to be worth more than that now. He also heard sometimes the covers are worth more than the records. Oh yeah, he wants to sell the whole lot too. Fuckin' douche bag.

SONIC

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    a few morning fleas:

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

Picked these up today and yesterdy for a buck a piece.
    12"s are
    Sugar Hill Gang 8th Wonder
    Gang's Back Got My Eye On You
    George Clinton Atomic Dog
    Lord Protector No Peace (Anyone know anything bout the label? Big Mac Soul Power)

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I went over to this dude's house and looked through 2000+ water damaged soul records, some almost bringing tears to my eyes, and when I was done I made my offer on what was salvagable and he says he's got a price guide from 15 years ago and he figures they're all worth at least $12 a piece in the book so they have to be worth more than that now. He also heard sometimes the covers are worth more than the records. Oh yeah, he wants to sell the whole lot too. Fuckin' douche bag.

SONIC

Detroit in a nutshell...

perchance, was this guy stinking drunk at 1 in the afternoon?

that mumbo jumbo about the covers sounds like part of brad's rap trying to deter people from bringing him piles of lps without sleeves.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

That definitely won't narrow it down, at least in Florida.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

That definitely won't narrow it down, at least in Florida.

the guy also had a slight Spanish inflection to his speech.

does that help?

---

• I went to my local city today to remind myself what it looked like seeing as I suddenly remember I hadn't been there this year. Went to the local spot and got:

aints listeneds to 'ems yets, but I'm expecting big things from that ovary lodge

• Options

Agreed. All the Claves I've seen were Uruguayan.

Yeah, you guys are right. Got it confused with something I was listening to on the portable.

K.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I went to my local city today to remind myself what it looked like seeing as I suddenly remember I hadn't been there this year. Went to the local spot and got:

aints listeneds to 'ems yets, but I'm expecting big things from that ovary lodge

It's spooky and fairly harsh vocal free jazz... hope that's what you were expecting!

• It's spooky and fairly harsh vocal free jazz... hope that's what you were expecting!

yeah it is some "Spazz" (Spacey Jazz Averageman industries) shit

• so far this week. That Smokey Robinson was the inspiration for the Motown 1969-1975 Whats Good thread

Big thanks to Supergood & Belson for their recommendations

and a long time want scratched off the list

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    stoop sales back in effect!

I snagged a copy of Brian Auger's Oblivion Express 'Reinforcements'...with a copy of 'Closer to it!' inside instead...fair enough, I like the record better.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Soul Messengers are actually the same group as "Sons of the Kingdom" - Modernization (KOG) They are Black Isrealites from Chicago, with ties to Soul Vegetarian restaurant apparently.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

What's this like?

• What's this like?

I posted the album up in waxidermy

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

That Jimmy McCracklin is dope as hell funky blues - I've had a clean sleeveless copy for years that I've been playing out. This is the first time I've seen the cover.

That Dinosaur album isn't very funky though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jimmy McCracklin is produced by Monk Higgins, which helps alot -
    I got a sealed copy off the Bay for $8 a few months ago, and was
    not disappointed.

A**m, what year is that Ovations LP? I never knew they had a
    full album...that Smokey LP is definitely on point.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Anyone have info on this? This is sealed, dunno if I want to open....

Also got:

I think I heard this on a soulman tape from back in the day...am i wrong about that?

Guess the 12" of this is the real item....but I generally prefer 45s, so I run across stuff like this!

Also got the one on beantown:

At least now I have an original copy of a Magnum 45, rather than just my reissue LP!

Also got lots of weird stuff like this.

-peeJ

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    stoop sales are indeed in full effect! all of these were a buck

Toronto 2lp mid-70s free jazz private press lp...they are called the Artists' Jazz Band

this is Leo Ferre backed by that band Zoo...quite funky!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    the 'new arrivals bin' as it were, up in hurr:

except for the pharcyde which was a store find, everything came from the apt of a
    weird older collector who mostly focused on punk/new wave, but wouldnt let me even
    look at most of that stuff. (...yet? i hope) But, somehow blondie was ok though, so
    these (tough!) imports went my way. center bottom is actually a heart of glass test
    press. he didnt seem to care about jazz or soul or even non 'classic' rock, but he
    did have a weird assortment with some key jernts...so i scooped what was good.

(why bowies 1st was ok for him to let go of while other way lesser rock stuff he kept under lock and key ive no idea)

• ScottScott 420 Posts

Nice finds, that Jus Gangsta is a cool Houston release. Pen & Pixel (better known for their gaudy No Limit covers) did the album design.

What's the Kali tape like?

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    All from Friday:

BLITZ is hard rock/aor from 1978 Texas...ZINI is private rock thing that's recently been reissued in Europe...MAGIC DE SPELL is cool dark synth/wave from Greece 1985..."Only For Teenagers" is actually a compilation from 1963 of Iowa R&B!!!...Pat and Victoria Garvey LP is odd folk private from 1971...Gene Townsel rare in shrink

Nice stash of mid/late 80s punk and metal...most NM in shrink...Venom is actually a test press

Metallica bootleg double albums...picture discs are pretty sweet looking!

That Fang record is the shit - "The Money Rolls In"
    I bought that Flipside comp sealed a few years ago,
    and it was broken in half. For some reason it's still
    in my shelves:

Finally found a clean OG of Black Caesar. Last time I saw one
    near this clean was years ago and they wanted $50. This one's
    nicer and was $20. This album is pretty fucking hot. It kept
    making me want to go listen to Lord Finesse, though.
    I've been lucky with finding real clean LP's lately, but
    the Ruby Andrews was where my luck ran out. Shit looks 10
    times worse than it plays, but a few tracks are useless. Too
    bad, it's the best record of the 3 pictured - but for the couple
    bucks I paid, it's nice to have "until the real thing comes along"
    Back on track with my "NM radar" for the Lonnie, shit looked brand
    spankin' new, and yet is a total 360 OG. Dope album, although the tunes
    could have stretched out a little bit more.
    I wish I had more $$$ this weekend, there were good records
    all over town, and I left a bunch of good shit out there.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    That Fang record is the shit - "The Money Rolls In"
    I bought that Flipside comp sealed a few years ago,
    and it was broken in half. For some reason it's still
    in my shelves:

"Where The Wild Things Are" was one of the first punk LPs I bought (when I was 13)...it scared the shit out of me for the first couple of songs until I realized I was playing it at the wrong speed!

Forgot I hooked up an MP3 for the Ruby Andrews:

Ruby Andrews - You Can Run But You Can't Hide (VG)