Mystery Lots: Nerves of Steel or Please Get Real?

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Does anyone have experience with these? The optimist in me says to bid, the guy living in 2006 says, "I AM SELLING THESE LOTS AS MYSTERY LOTS MEANING I WILL NOT LIST, DESCRIBE, OR TELL WHAT IS IN THE LOTS SO THAT IT WILL BE A SURPRISE TO YOU WHEN YOU RECIEVE THE LOT." sounds like someone who will snag whatever fish bite his line.The guy is a collectibles dealer and claims to be selling off his collection 100 records at a time. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has had any luck.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I do Grab Bag Lots. Take a picture of the records add a sound clip. No titles , no condition. They Seem to do better then when I go all out.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Does anyone have experience with these?

The optimist in me says to bid, the guy living in 2006 says, "I AM SELLING THESE LOTS AS MYSTERY LOTS MEANING I WILL NOT LIST, DESCRIBE, OR TELL WHAT IS IN THE LOTS SO THAT IT WILL BE A SURPRISE TO YOU WHEN YOU RECIEVE THE LOT." sounds like someone who will snag whatever fish bite his line.

The guy is a collectibles dealer and claims to be selling off his collection 100 records at a time. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has had any luck.

I believe our host Raj has employed this tactic. Sounds like it really works for eBayers of a particular mindset.

Me, I wouldn't bid on anything that wasn't expressly described and in at least some detail. The seller doesn't have to write a book about the item, but it has to be clear what it is and what the seller feels is the condition of the item. But that's just me...I am cautious, not adventurous, on the bay.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Usually these lots tend to be leftovers from larger collections that have been picked through by dealers and they are last resorts to get people to buy them, but you never know, maybe you'll score.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    None of the dude's feedback is of him as a seller. He drops cash on tonearms, turntables, etc. Dropped $500 on a Garrard 301 turntable with no tonearm. Has dropped a GRAND on turntables since January.

• It sounds like those 45 lots on Ebay

Features these artists, on the following labels[/b]

but not mention of what actual records are included.

F that tired S....

Oh, I almost forgot,,Condition ranges from G to Mint Minus!![/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I do Grab Bag Lots. Take a picture of the records add a sound clip. No titles , no condition. They Seem to do better then when I go all out.

Where is record by blackman funky soul group call Grab Bag? I see only raisin I am already!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Oh, I almost forgot,,Condition ranges from G to Mint Minus!![/b]

i just did a 45 lot for 250+ 45s and am very happy. The guy didnt list all of them, but did list quite a few which were worth the purchase price alone ($20.00)

Funky Broadway - Dyke
    Funky Nassau - Beginning....on Alston
    Meters
    several Whatnauts
    A grip of James Brown, King, Polydor, People
    Maceo and the Macks
    JBs.
    Bongo Rock
    Joe Quarterman
    Monk Higgins

But he listed titles so at least i knew i was getting some really good stuff. The quality is definately varied and 4 are unplayable but i expected that in a lot so big. i just dont have any experience with the complete mysteries and dont want to have a box full of complete garbage from a guy selling crap to fund his apparent turntable obsession / addiciton / affliction.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Does anyone have experience with these?

The optimist in me says to bid, the guy living in 2006 says, "I AM SELLING THESE LOTS AS MYSTERY LOTS MEANING I WILL NOT LIST, DESCRIBE, OR TELL WHAT IS IN THE LOTS SO THAT IT WILL BE A SURPRISE TO YOU WHEN YOU RECIEVE THE LOT." sounds like someone who will snag whatever fish bite his line.

The guy is a collectibles dealer and claims to be selling off his collection 100 records at a time. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has had any luck.

I believe our host Raj has employed this tactic. Sounds like it really works for eBayers of a particular mindset.

Yeh... these lots are not for the simply great collectros. They are targeted at sampling producers who can clean it up in a sound editor or foreign guys who want an instant starter collection and can deal with VG-. I know there was a time when I could sit through the static.

The most vital part is the sound clip, though. You can get a good idea of what the best part of the records sounds like.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Wow i ate too many office birthday cupcakes and cookies.

The crazed turntable king is actually the only bidder. i am just starting to look through the seller now.

"Do they have a castle at Windsor?"
    'No, it's a rack at the end of the aisle.'