Alchemist & Just Blaze interview.

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
HOLD YOUUUUUUU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN I want to see what nitpicky shit the SS hatters have to say about this.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Just Blaze is one of my favorite current hiphop producers and I'm pretty sure I dig Alchemist's stuff too. That said, I just love it when rap dudes talk about rock.

If you look at the rock format, it takes a lot of people by their fourth album to blow up. If you look at like No Doubt, you might have seen them only two years ago, but they probably had two or three albums out that you didn't know about.

Yes Alchemist you are correct. No Doubt were definitely flying under the radar until two years ago. I mean, who had even heard of 1995's TRAGIC KINGDOM which sold a measly 15 million copies. And since they only got 4 grammy nominations in 1997, I can see why people hadn't heard of them until Gwen Stefani's solo album came out seven years later.

Obviously I get dude's point but he could have used a slightly better example. That would have been like me saying "you might have seen Mannie Fresh only two years ago, but he probably had two or three albums out that you didn't know about."

Otherwise, decent interview. I think Blaze summed up some strutters' ambivalence towards underground hiphop:

I started realizing the real love is from those kids, man, in the underground. And even though it's a lot of shit in that world that I don't really love, I like what it represents.[/b]

He also touched on why I had a longtime distaste for disco:

Think about all the groups like the Stylistics and the Spinners, all these records that we have. Think about how different the albums sound. Like their first albums came out 71, 72, 73. By the time they got their later albums, you know what you're going to hear. [Starts pounding out a disco beat on some boxes.]

I wonder if dude had been reading this

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Remember back in the day, you had all these different sounds. You had a lot of producers, but everybody got their own sounds. That shit is lost these days. The two rules, if you think about it, the two rules that everybody lived by are the two rules you don't do no more: you don't bite and don't sell out. Those were the two things you weren't supposed to do. Now, if you sell out and you bite, you're out of here. That's the key now. Rappers are going to explode doing that stuff.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Remember back in the day, you had all these different sounds. You had a lot of producers, but everybody got their own sounds. That shit is lost these days. The two rules, if you think about it, the two rules that everybody lived by are the two rules you don't do no more: you don't bite and don't sell out. Those were the two things you weren't supposed to do. Now, if you sell out and you bite, you're out of here. That's the key now. Rappers are going to explode doing that stuff.

Not arguing that folks don't bite and sell out these days, but you'd have an EXTREMELY difficult time convincing me that there was a greater diversity in sounds found on rap records in the early 90s vs. today. The explosion in technology applied alone dictates otherwise... hell in the early 90s almost everything was boom bap beats with soul or jazz samples.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Not arguing that folks don't bite and sell out these days, but you'd have an EXTREMELY difficult time convincing me that there was a greater diversity in sounds found on rap records in the early 90s vs. today. The explosion in technology applied alone dictates otherwise... hell in the early 90s almost everything was boom bap beats with soul or jazz samples.

EPMD sounded different from Public Enemy, who sounded different from the D.O.C, who sounded different from the Geto Boys, who sounded different from ATCQ, who sounded different from Ice Cube, etc....

I have to agree. Though I generally prefer the oldschool stuff, almost every hiphop release from about 1986-1994 could be boiled down to this:

At least in 2006 you can add this to the above:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

EPMD sounded different from Public Enemy, who sounded different from the D.O.C, who sounded different from the Geto Boys, who sounded different from ATCQ, who sounded different from Ice Cube, etc....

Yes, but you're only naming the leaders in the genre. There were lots of soundalikes for all of those artists.

The problem today is anyone can get a ton of material out there, and sometimes the average listener can't tell the difference between the originator and the duplicator... nor do people always care. So a lot of the wannabe, soundalike groups that maybe put out one record and never went anywhere yesterday can today have their record in the club, on the net, and in the shop before the process of natural selection sends them back to UPS.

Outkast sound different from The Coup, who sound different from Lil Jon, who sound different from Doom, who sound different from Three Six Mafia, who sound different from the Neptunes, etc....

I hear that.

But now you've got a Devin the Dude album which sounds WHOLLY different than a Keak Da Sneak album album which sounds WHOLLY different than a Jay Dee album which sounds WHOLLY different than a T.I. album... Kanye West, Dipset, Snoop, blah blah woof woof

edit: too slow, what they said.

• Remember back in the day, you had all these different sounds. You had a lot of producers, but everybody got their own sounds. That shit is lost these days. The two rules, if you think about it, the two rules that everybody lived by are the two rules you don't do no more: you don't bite and don't sell out. Those were the two things you weren't supposed to do. Now, if you sell out and you bite, you're out of here. That's the key now. Rappers are going to explode doing that stuff.

YES! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!

Not nearly as good as "Yo dog...Tribe wasn't really that important or popular" but I'll take it.

My only bone to pick with that interview is that Saigon isn't that good, based on the 12"s and mixtape I've heard

And I miss when Just Blaze felt like he needed to compete with Lil Jon, cuz thats when we would hear his (amazing) productions on the radio

• My only bone to pick with that interview is that Saigon isn't that good, based on the 12"s and mixtape I've heard

And I miss when Just Blaze felt like he needed to compete with Lil Jon, cuz thats when we would hear his (amazing) productions on the radio

Yeah I really can't say my view on Saigon has changed (he's "meh" to me) but I still think Just Bleezy has it (What was the last record dude had out? I haven't heard shit from him).

JUST BLAZE: FILD UNDER IRRELVANT BORE WHO'S WASHED-UP AND SHOULD HANG IT UP?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

YES! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!

Not nearly as good as "Yo dog...Tribe wasn't really that important or popular" but I'll take it.