Phil Walden RIP (Sorta RR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
April 26, 2006Phil Walden, Promoter of Southern Rock, Is Dead at 66 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSATLANTA, April 25 (AP) ??? Phil Walden, the founder of Capricorn Records, who helped start the careers of Otis Redding and the Allman Brothers Band, died at his home here on Saturday. He was 66.His death was announced by a family friend, Leon Jones, law partner of Mr. Walden's son, Philip M. Walden Jr. Capricorn, based in Macon, Ga., was influential in creating the Southern rock sound of the 1970's. Mr. Walden's two most famous artists, Redding and the guitarist Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band, both died unexpectedly ??? Redding at 26 in a 1967 plane crash and Allman at 24 in a 1971 motorcycle accident. Among the other groups Mr. Walden promoted were the Charlie Daniels Band and Wet Willie.Mr. Walden met Redding in Macon in the 1950's, when both were teenagers. Redding became a top rhythm and blues star in the 1960's and was on the brink of wider acclaim when he died. He had recorded his "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay" just days earlier. It became a smash hit in 1968.During the 1970's, Mr. Walden was an early backer of Gov. Jimmy Carter, helping his bid for the presidency, as did the Allmans and other Capricorn groups, who played benefit shows.In addition to his son, Mr. Walden is survived by his wife, Peggy Hackett Walden; a daughter, Amantha; a brother; and four grandchildren

Comments

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Damn cancer.

the last time I was in Macon somebody actually told me that there are still long-time Macon residents who believe that Phil Walden sabotaged the plane which Otis Redding died in. Conspiracy theories never cease to amaze me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Why call it sorta record-related? Walden was a big man in the field, so it's definitely record-related.

• Why call it sorta record-related? Walden was a big man in the field, so it's definitely record-related.

Yeah, I know, but there's always someone nitpicking....