Bootlegs on eBay

jandarajandara 44 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I just listed a bunch of bootleg LP on eBay, stuff from Led Zeppelin, Roling Stones etc... Got an email from a seller warning me against listing bootlegs on ebay. Seems to me tons of bootleg records are sold everyday on eBay. What's the deal?

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    When ebay pulls an auction of a bootleg LP, id say that 95% percent of the time it is because the original artist put in the request. Every single Zeppelin boot that I listed was promptly pulled, and I recieved a form letter from ebay explaining why. However, every now and then they dont notice and a auction will end. It is usually only big rock bands (Aerosmith, Dylan, The Stones, etc.) that ever make a fuss about it.

• Paging Mylatency for NOT TMOQ listing tips!

Seriously, dude knows some good tricks.

• Only list Zeppelin boots as one day auctions with "buy it now" options. And make sure its during Sunday. Thats how I sold mine.

Ive sold some Floyd boots and they have been okay for the regular 7 day duration.

They crack down on the Zeps though, boy. You gotta get them sold fast.

• jandarajandara 44 Posts
    Only list Zeppelin boots as one day auctions with "buy it now" options. And make sure its during Sunday. Thats how I sold mine.

Ive sold some Floyd boots and they have been okay for the regular 7 day duration.

They crack down on the Zeps though, boy. You gotta get them sold fast.

Damn!!! I sure wish I could let the Zeppelin auctions end without getting busted. Just got a $200 bucks offer for one bootleg LP.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Some dude was running a good dilly where he listed the item as a "Led Zeppelin Lot" and had a gallery pic of the bootleg record with buy it nows.

• Yeah, I hear ya. The tricky part is deciding what price to list it as a "buy it now". Im sure I could have sold some boots in the past for far more money than I did, but shit..

• what type of bootlegs are we talking here?

I'm no expert but it seems to me like the Led Zeppelin motherload

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    dude, just don't say "boot" or "bootleg" anywhere in the listing! just say RARE LIVE LED ZEPPELIN LP and maybe put "live" in quotes like that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've used "Fan Club Only" LP when describing a boot and a 1-3 day auction over a weekend is a good idea with "Buy It Now" as an option.

The amazing thing is that some labels and artists hire people to patrol ebay and look for these things....but....some folks who just fancy themselves as "fans" of the band do it to get some sort of non-existant brownie points by turning in the evil people who were trying to rip off their favorite artists....I know this happens with bands like Dave Mathews and Green Day.....on both counts I was turned in by "fans" who said I was selling "unauthorized T-Shirts" that I had picked up at the Goodwill!!

I've used "Fan Club Only" LP when describing a boot and a 1-3 day auction over a weekend is a good idea with "Buy It Now" as an option.

The amazing thing is that some labels and artists hire people to patrol ebay and look for these things....but....some folks who just fancy themselves as "fans" of the band do it to get some sort of non-existant brownie points by turning in the evil people who were trying to rip off their favorite artists....I know this happens with bands like Dave Mathews and Green Day.....on both counts I was turned in by "fans" who said I was selling "unauthorized T-Shirts" that I had picked up at the Goodwill!!

I am getting emails from angry fans.

How do you determine your BIN price on a bootleg?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Fans turning in sellers is beyond next level! I get complaints and corrections from buyers on occasion (I'm not that well versed in obscure 90's hardcore punk split LPs). When you do find them, boots are great to sell. A few tips:

1. Don't ever list them as boots, bootlegs, etc.

2. Do list them as "live LP" "Not TMOQ" etc.

3. Led Zep = DEFINITELY Sunday Buy it Now. I had a 2 LP Blueberry Hill COLORED marble vinyl blue and red. RAER! I had it listed and it was taken down overnight during a SATURDAY. I received a couple offers and made contact with a buyer. I quickly listed it on SUNDAY as a buy it now and sold it immediately.

Good luck and have fun!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

How do you determine your BIN price on a bootleg?

www.popsike.com
    + condition of your boot

good luck!

Don't know if I get this right but it looks like TMOQ is almost legit compared to other boots, even on eBay.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Don't know if I get this right but it looks like TMOQ is almost legit compared to other boots, even on eBay.

TMOQ is equally as bootleg as any other bootleg, they're just more desirable for their quality (the Blue Note of boots basically)

I had no idea the Zeps went for so much~!! I might have to unload mine B-I-N style...

I've always seen all these classic rock boots for $20-50, didn't think they went for more than that.

Unfortunately I used to have a good early Neil Young one, which got borrowed and never returned... I've heard his are hugely collectable

• Don't be afraid to list your Floyd vinyl boots high. There is a mad Italian who snipes all of em for ridiculous prices.