Car tape deck question (iPod related)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
ATTN: Soul Strut Tech Support TeamI've been using the Monster tape deck adapter to use my iPod Nano in the car. But a funny thing happens: The tape automatically tries to switch sides constantly, often when I brake fast or turn sharply. Sometimes, I get a "tape error" and the thing ejects. I usually just throw it back in there and it works for a while before the entire cycle repeats -- switching sides, eventually ejecting. This doesn't happen with any other normal tapes. Plus, the sound otherwise is great, a lot better than the iPod Nano iTrip. I returned that piece of crap to Best Buy after using it for a few weeks. Any idea as to why this happens with my tape deck? By the way, it's a Volkswagen factory stereo. Someone suggested that I oil the deck. I haven't tried that yet.

Comments

• i got you

what you need to do is take a pocket knife and cut out all the "spokes" of the tape....after you do that thigns should be fine

• ATTN: Soul Strut Tech Support Team

I've been using the Monster tape deck adapter to use my iPod Nano in the car. But a funny thing happens: The tape automatically tries to switch sides constantly, often when I brake fast or turn sharply. Sometimes, I get a "tape error" and the thing ejects. I usually just throw it back in there and it works for a while before the entire cycle repeats -- switching sides, eventually ejecting. This doesn't happen with any other normal tapes. Plus, the sound otherwise is great, a lot better than the iPod Nano iTrip. I returned that piece of crap to Best Buy after using it for a few weeks.

Any idea as to why this happens with my tape deck? By the way, it's a Volkswagen factory stereo. Someone suggested that I oil the deck. I haven't tried that yet.

I probably won't be of any help, but I have an Ipod and play it via tapedecks quite frequentely.

You can put the tape in in one of 2 ways, and in some tapedecks one of those ways causes it to "try and switch sides constantly". I simply flip the tape and then it works fine. I'm not assuming you're a complete dumbass, but sometimes people don't think of such stupid solutions...

Also, often when you press "play" the first time the volume seems lower than it should be, simply stop and press "play" again, normally plays louder 2nd time around.

Who knew my fucking around with an ipod+tapedeck would actually serve someone else someday...

Hope it helps!

• it's the device. this is frequently happening in newer tape adapters. read the reviews on the product:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001YXWNM/104-1259999-8811163?v=glance&n=172282

the same thing happens with the intelligent tape adapters that should skip tracks on your mp3 player according to your stereo/steering wheel commands. i believe it happens more often in newer cars for some reason.

best bet is to use an old one for 2 or 3 bucks. works for me. don't bother with commercial fm transmitters either. FCC/CRTC laws restrict the signal strength you can legally output in the FM range causing you to crank your stereo amp up from the weak signal (=poor sound quality).

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I may try that tape surgery technique. Other than that, I might suffer through it until I drop the cash for the installation of an iPod dock right into the dash.

I already tried using a few of the older tape adapters, which didn't seem to work very well. But, I agree, the radio transmitters are even worse, especially if you are traveling into any sort of a metropolitan area.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Wow dude... I rock the joint they sell at radio shack, have had it for years, no problems... no need for fancy ipod products or dashboard installation... although that would be hot... hmmmm.

It'll flip sides and eventually eject if no sound is coming out, and sometimes it doesn't line up correctly when I put it in, but that happens with regular old cassettes too...

I have a Volkswagen factory stereo as well.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I have the Monster transmitter and like it a lot, it's not perfect but I almost never have to change frequencies. Regarding getting a dock installed in your car, don't most stereos have some sort of aux jack in the back that you can plug your ipod into directly? I'm not a car stereo nerd but I thought that was the case.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    If it screws up when you brake or turn corners wouldn't that be some kind of balance switch inside it?

I agree with the idea of maybe swapping over to a radio transmitter, there are loads of different ones which transmit what's on your ipod to any FM radio.: